This is a childhood favorite – my Mom made the best stuffed peppers. I decided to make these using ingredients that I had on hand and needed to use up. They were simple to make and tasted amazing. Not only did my husband love these but my two children did too.
- 1 lb lean ground beef (I use 96/4)
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 zucchini, diced
- 6 oz white or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Brown rice, prepared per instructions (2 servings)
- 1 1/2 cups of marinara sauce
While rice is cooking, heat a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add ground beef and cook 3-4 minutes. Add onion, zucchini, mushrooms & seasonings and cook for about 5-7 minutes. Add prepared rice and marinara sauce and mix thoroughly.
- 4 red, yellow or orange bell peppers (I use one of each) sliced in half lengthwise & cleaned removing seeds & veins
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 3 tbsp Parmesan cheese, shredded
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a large glass baking dish, add 1 1/2 cups of water. Scoop meat mixture into peppers until it’s heaping full and place into baking dish. Add marinara sauce to each pepper then top with sprinkled Parmesan cheese. Bake covered in tin foil for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake additional 5 minutes. I serve with a tossed salad. Enjoy.
Click here for printable recipe – For the Love of Cooking.net