Sharp Cheddar, Avocado, and Tomato Panini

My daughter was home sick this week so I wanted to make her a special lunch to make her feel better. She has recently discovered a love for sharp cheddar and pepperjack cheese which is exciting for me because she hasn’t liked cheese for years. I made this tasty panini with some leftover roasted garlic bread that I had leftover from our dinner the night before and I layered it with sharp cheddar, tomato slices, and avocado. It was a hit with my daughter and she gobbled up every single bite.

Preheat your panini grill or a grill pan over medium heat.

Spread some of the shredded cheese on the bread then layer it with tomato and avocado and season with a bit of sea salt and freshly cracked pepper before adding a little more cheese. Place the other slice of bread on top.

Place into your panini pan (or grill pan).  Cook for 5 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.  Serve immediately.  Enjoy!

Side Note:  I always cook my paninis dry.  I find that using oil or butter on the bread makes the sandwich too greasy.  Try it – I bet you will like it and it’s way better for you!

Sharp Cheddar, Avocado, and Tomato Panini

Yield: 1

Cook Time: 5 min.

Ingredients:

2 slices of bread (I used roasted garlic)
Sharp cheddar, shredded
Tomato slices
Avocado slices
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste

Directions:

Preheat your panini grill or a grill pan over medium heat.

Place into your panini pan (or grill pan). Cook for 5 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Serve immediately. Enjoy!

Side Note: I always cook my paninis dry. I find that using oil or butter on the bread makes the sandwich too greasy. Try it – I bet you will like it and it’s way better for you!

14 Responses to “Sharp Cheddar, Avocado, and Tomato Panini”

Angie@Angie's Recipes — May 11, 2014 @ 9:04 pm

I would gobble the whole panini up too! It looks really delicious.

lenia — May 12, 2014 @ 3:01 am

Great panini!Love the ingredients!

Lea Ann (Cooking On The Ranch) — May 12, 2014 @ 5:42 am

I’m with you on that cooking a panini dry. Goodness have I ended up with some greasy messes. And I’m calling in sick just so I can have this sandwich. Great combo.

Kim in Md — May 12, 2014 @ 6:48 am

This looks delicious, Pam! I agree with you about the dry toasting of the panini. I always make my grilled cheese sandwiches without butter or oil and they are delicious. Perfectly crispy and crunchy without the added fat!

Jenn — May 12, 2014 @ 7:17 am

I can’t blame your daughter for gobbling it up.. it would be hard not to! I want to be home sick at your house from now on!!

Helen @ Scrummy Lane — May 12, 2014 @ 10:04 am

I’ve never put avocado in my panini before, but … great idea! I bet it goes really well with that sharp cheddar. :-)

Marjie — May 12, 2014 @ 3:05 pm

There is nothing quite like a grilled cheese with Tomato. Yours looks delicious with the avocado.

Jovina Coughlin — May 12, 2014 @ 4:18 pm

A really nice lunch. My favorite type of sandwich – panini. Not surprised your daughter loved it.

Andrea@WellnessNotes — May 12, 2014 @ 6:17 pm

The panini sounds delicious! The kid is also enjoying cheese a lot more these days… He has always liked melted cheese, and I know he’d love this!

Diane — May 13, 2014 @ 8:25 am

Pam,
    I just made this for lunch. I didn’t have a tomato so I just used the avocado and low fat cheese that I had n the fridge. I never thought of doing this on my grill pan. It turned out great and I will definitely be making this again. I followed your advice and did not use any butter. This was such a light healthy lunch. Thanks for your recipes!

grace — May 13, 2014 @ 12:10 pm

i’m at the point where i’m putting avocados on everything and skimming a menu looking for anything containing any form of it. this is a fine sandwich!

vanillasugarblog — May 13, 2014 @ 3:27 pm

and I just love that tomato & cheddar season is right around the corner!
    ohhh yes!

Joanne — May 14, 2014 @ 6:36 pm

Your daughter didn’t like cheese?! I’m so glad she is coming around.

25 Scrumptious Sandwich Recipes - Saving Mamasita — May 15, 2014 @ 7:58 pm