Caprese Panini with Basil Mayonnaise

My favorite sandwich is from a little restaurant in McCall, Idaho called Bistro 45. It’s a caprese panini with basil mayonnaise and it’s unbelievably wonderful. This sandwich is made from simple ingredients and they work together beautifully. I decided to make it for our lunch today and it tasted amazing. The only way this sandwich would be better is if I could have used freshly picked garden tomatoes.  I am looking forward to tomato season and making this delicious sandwich again.

Combine the mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon of basil, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper,to taste, together in a small bowl. Mix until well combined. Set aside.

Preheat your panini grill or a grill pan over medium heat.

Spread some of the basil mayonnaise on the bread then layer it with a little mozzarella, tomato slices, some of the remaining chopped fresh basil, and a little more mozzarella. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Place the other slice of bread on top. Place into your panini pan (or grill pan). Cook for 5 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Serve immediately. Enjoy!

Side Note:  I always cook my paninis dry.  I find that using oil or butter on the bread makes the sandwich too greasy.  Try it – I bet you will like it and it’s way better for you!

Caprese Panini with Basil Mayonnaise

Yield: 2

Prep Time: 5 min.

Cook Time: 5 min.

Total Time: 10 min.

Ingredients:

2 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped (divided)
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
4 slices of French bread
Mozzarella cheese, sliced
Tomatoes, sliced
1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped

Directions:

Preheat your panini grill or a grill pan over medium heat.

Side Note: I always cook my paninis dry. I find that using oil or butter on the bread makes the sandwich too greasy. Try it – I bet you will like it and it’s way better for you!

Inspired by Bistro 45 - McCall, Idaho

15 Responses to “Caprese Panini with Basil Mayonnaise”

Angie@Angie's Recipes — April 27, 2014 @ 7:57 pm

This looks so fresh and yum!

Emma @ Fork and Good — April 28, 2014 @ 4:48 am

Ohhh boy, that looks good. There is something about a toasted bread that just made me hungry. Looks mouth watering!

• Emma @ Fork and Good replied: — April 28th, 2014 @ 4:48 am

*makes me hungry, sorry! Typing on an empty stomach is not good!

Larry — April 28, 2014 @ 7:05 am

Great shot with the cheese oozing out.

Laura | Pass the Knife — April 28, 2014 @ 7:30 am

What perfect grill marks and everything! You’re making me crave not just the sandwich, but a panini maker, too:)

Natalie @ Tastes Lovely — April 28, 2014 @ 8:52 am

I love the idea of a basil mayonaisse! Sounds just delicious. I’m about to plant all my tomatoes, can’t wait to have more tomatoes than I know what to do with! This sandwich will definitely be on the menu.

Ccatherine — April 28, 2014 @ 10:33 am

Dear Pam, I would love, love, love this sandwhich!!! It has all the flavors I love and is sophisticated and elegant! Blessings dear. Catherine xo

Baby June — April 28, 2014 @ 11:41 am

Mmm, now that’s a lunch I’d look forward to! Homemade paninis really are the best, there’s just something about them you can’t get at cafes.

Marjie — April 28, 2014 @ 2:42 pm

I always eat my grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato, and your fancy name with the basil added are just perfect! It looks like a great lunch, Pam.

Chris @ The Café Sucré Farine — April 28, 2014 @ 3:45 pm

I can only imagine how fabulous this sandwich is Pam. I love it when I can recreate something wonderful that I’ve enjoyed at a restaurant.

Marcie — April 28, 2014 @ 4:57 pm

I love Caprese anything, and this sandwich looks divine!

Jovina Coughlin — April 28, 2014 @ 7:16 pm

I would really love this sandwich. It looks like it would just melt in your mouth.

Lily (A Rhubarb Rhapsody) — April 28, 2014 @ 8:15 pm

Yummy! Easy, quick and delicious lunch idea. Thanks for sharing!

grace — April 29, 2014 @ 10:23 am

i don’t remember when i first discovered the caprese combination, but i’ve never looked back–this looks wonderful!

Joanne — April 30, 2014 @ 5:54 pm

So this is probably going to be new favorite sandwiches. Very soon.