Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta and Balsamic Vinegar

I can’t believe I did it. I finally made brussel sprouts and actually loved them. I have NEVER liked them. My Mom would boil them when I was a kid and they weren’t my favorite – sorry Mom. My friend Currié made them for us when we were over for dinner and I liked them so I decided to give them a try. I used frozen brussel sprouts that I thawed and cut in half. I seasoned them slightly with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and olive oil. I roasted them with pancetta until they were caramelized then I drizzled them with lots of balsamic vinegar. My husband has never been a fan of brussel sprouts and he liked them, both my kids thought they were good and gobbled up every single one on their plate, and I loved them. I can honestly say, I am looking forward to trying new recipes using them. I’d call that a success!

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with tin foil then coat it with cooking spray.

If you are using frozen brussel sprouts, thaw them on a couple of  paper towels, making sure to press hard to remove any excess liquid to make them as dry as possible once they are thawed. Slice them in half then toss them with olive oil and sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Place them onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle them with the diced pancetta. Place into the oven and roast for 15 minutes. Flip them over then continue roasting for 5-10 more minutes, or until caramelized. Remove from the oven and drizzle with balsamic vinegar, to taste. Serve immediately. Enjoy.

Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta and Balsamic Vinegar

Yield: 4

Prep Time: 5 min.

Cook Time: 20-25 min.

Total Time: 30 min.

Ingredients:

2 cups of brussel sprouts, thawed and sliced in half
1 tbsp olive oil
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
2 tbsp pancetta, diced
Balsamic vinegar, to taste

Directions:

If you are using frozen brussel sprouts, thaw them on a couple of paper towels, making sure to press hard to remove any excess liquid to make them as dry as possible once they are thawed. Slice them in half then toss them with olive oil and sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Place them onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle them with the diced pancetta. Place into the oven and roast for 15 minutes. Flip them over then continue roasting for 5-10 more minutes, or until caramelized. Remove from the oven and drizzle with balsamic vinegar, to taste. Serve immediately. Enjoy.

Inspired by Currié Reese

21 Responses to “Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta and Balsamic Vinegar”

Anne ~ Uni Homemaker — October 15, 2013 @ 12:43 am

I one time had brussel sprouts at a restaurant served chip style. They used balsamic vinegar and then flash fried it. It was superb! Anything with pancetta and basalmic vinegar is fabulous in my book, even with brussel sprouts. YUM! :)

Lia — October 15, 2013 @ 4:24 am

Hi Pam,
    I love this combination and I use to cook them approximately like that because it is the way I love them sprouts more!!
    Lia.

Blond Duck — October 15, 2013 @ 4:33 am

I bet even Ben would eat veggies at your house!

Katie C. — October 15, 2013 @ 5:09 am

Tis the season! Red onion also goes well with the combination that you’ve got going. Hmmm, maybe some walnuts too. I’ll have to try adding those next time.

Jenn — October 15, 2013 @ 5:29 am

I still haven’t found my love for Brussel sprouts yet.. but maybe it’s because they haven’t been made the proper way. I’m always willing to give things another try, that’s for sure! I mean they have pancetta and balsamic.. don’t know how they could be bad!!

gloria — October 15, 2013 @ 6:23 am

Pam I love brussel sprouts and these look delicious!

Sues — October 15, 2013 @ 6:57 am

I just bought my first brussels sprouts of the season and this looks like the perfect way to prep them!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl — October 15, 2013 @ 9:12 am

Brussels Sprouts are one of my favorite veggies, love seeing them featured here!

Jersey Girl Cooks — October 15, 2013 @ 11:35 am

Great combination. I make something very similar but I also add butternut squash. Such a great fall veggie.

Honey What's Cooking — October 15, 2013 @ 1:02 pm

Love brussel sprouts.. never thought of roasting them though. cool idea.

Marjie — October 15, 2013 @ 2:21 pm

I always use frozen brussels sprouts. Once I made them plain, and no one terribly liked them, but I usually par-boil them, then sautee in olive oil with garlic, and everyone likes them. I think they just need a flavor boost. I’ll have to try your technique!

Joanne — October 15, 2013 @ 3:09 pm

YES. Roasting does wonders to brussels sprouts!

The Café Sucre Farine — October 15, 2013 @ 3:18 pm

Yeah! And congrats for joining the Brussels sprouts club :) I am amazed at how many wonderful things you can do with them, they’ve come such a far way in the past few years. Love this recipe, it sounds wonderful!

Andrea@WellnessNotes — October 15, 2013 @ 7:58 pm

I didn’t like boiled Brussels sprouts growing up either, but I love them roasted. Love the addition of pancetta.

Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness — October 15, 2013 @ 8:41 pm

I tried roasted Brussel sprouts for the first time this year and it made me a lover of Brussel sprouts too, before having them roasted I didn’t care for these vegetables either. Yours look like they turned out perfect.

Anne — October 15, 2013 @ 11:05 pm

I am afraid. So afraid. :) I can try this but I know my husband won’t buy it. Just like I won’t buy oysters. No matter “how great they are prepared”.

Anne — October 15, 2013 @ 11:06 pm

But I love them!

• Anne replied: — October 15th, 2013 @ 11:08 pm

Brussels sprouts that is.

Angie@Angie's Recipes — October 16, 2013 @ 8:45 am

I love them roasted too! These look great.

vanillasugarblog — October 16, 2013 @ 4:09 pm

Yeah I’m not a fan of brussel sprouts either.
    They are hard to eat plain, one has to jazz em up a bit, just like you did.
    Did you Kevin at closet cooking made them into tasty little critters; although I’m sure all the nutrients are gone. LOL

from prosecco to plaid | The Lineup — October 20, 2013 @ 2:47 pm

[...] I’ve mentioned many times now, I can’t get enough brussels sprouts these days, and this simple recipe with pancetta and balsamic vinegar is something I’m going to be making [...]