Cider-Glazed Chicken Drumsticks

When I saw the original recipe for this chicken on Cooking Light I decided to make it immediately. I adapted the recipe by using chicken drumsticks instead of cutlets. I simply seasoned them drumsticks then seared them before baking them in the oven. I made an easy sauce of apple cider and mustard. Unfortunately, right as I was serving the chicken, the sauce spilled all over the table. Thankfully, I had glazed with the sauce in the pan before putting it on the serving plate! The drumsticks turned out moist, delicious, and very flavorful! We didn’t even miss the extra sauce. It was a great weeknight meal that paired nicely with the Brown Butter and Pecan Basmati Rice and Roasted Green Beans.

Preheat the oven 350 degrees.

Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Season the chicken drumsticks evenly with the sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Place into the hot Dutch oven and cook, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Flip the chicken drumsticks over and place the uncovered Dutch oven into the preheated oven. Cook for 25-30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from the oven and place the chicken on a plate then cover loosely with a tin foil tent.

Place the Dutch oven on the stove over medium high heat. Add the apple cider and Dijon mustard then whisk together making sure to scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Whisk, while it boils, until it reduces down a bit and thickens up, about 2-3 minutes. Taste and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, if needed. Place the drumsticks and their juices back into the Dutch oven and toss to coat the chicken evenly. Place on a platter then serve with additional sauce on the side. Enjoy.

Cider-Glazed Chicken Drumsticks

Ingredients:

1 tbsp olive oil
8 chicken drumsticks
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
1/2 cup apple cider
1 tsp Dijon mustard

Directions:

Preheat the oven 350 degrees.

Adapted recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe by Cooking Light

19 Responses to “Cider-Glazed Chicken Drumsticks”

Angie@Angie's Recipes — October 20, 2013 @ 8:17 pm

These must be really yum! Love that spiced cider!

Kris — October 20, 2013 @ 9:30 pm

Looks like a perfect Fall meal.
    Where do you come up with all of your ideas?
    xo Kris

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl — October 20, 2013 @ 9:48 pm

Cider glazed, I love this! As if I can’t love drumsticks enough already, you made me love them more! :)

Diane — October 21, 2013 @ 3:43 am

Yum Yum. Have a good week Diane

Joanne — October 21, 2013 @ 4:24 am

The cider is such a fun fall twist!!

Blond Duck — October 21, 2013 @ 5:14 am

I love drumsticks!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — October 21, 2013 @ 2:16 pm

I love your simple weeknight meals, Pam! Perfect marinade for using up extra cider, too. Lovely!

Angie — October 21, 2013 @ 3:31 pm

I was wondering what I would make for dinner tomorrow. I have gallon of cider I just purchased from the orchard. It looks like you got the perfect sear on the drumsticks.

gloria — October 21, 2013 @ 3:38 pm

These chicken drumsticks look delicious Pam!

Tanya @ Eat Laugh Purr — October 21, 2013 @ 4:26 pm

These look amazing? Apple cider is one of my favorite Fall beverages and I bet it does make a tasty glaze for chicken. I guess that means I’ll gave to buy some apple cider. :)

Debbie — October 21, 2013 @ 5:52 pm

Hi Pam, I was just wondering if you know why I’m getting posts on my facebook page from your recipes in 2010. I’m not getting the new ones you’re posting on facebook and am only getting the new ones when I come to your page. I have you on my blogspot page and the new ones are coming up. Just wondering. I love all your recipes!
    Debbie

• Pam replied: — October 21st, 2013 @ 7:32 pm

Debbie,

I have been posting old recipes throughout the day (usually 3) on Facebook followed by the new recipe which I post around 7:30-8:00 (Pacific timezone) in the evenings (Sunday through Thursday). I am not sure why you aren’t getting all of these on your Facebook feed. You can also sign up to recieve my new recipe posts directly into your e-mail here: http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=blogspot/OlvyH&loc=en_US

I hope this helps.

Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness — October 21, 2013 @ 8:05 pm

I love these chicken legs, they look yummy.

Anne — October 22, 2013 @ 7:09 am

Hi Pam, We had these last night for dinner. Yum! I love apple cider and mustard. I used a local fresh pressed cider which is robust and packed with flavor. I also made the recent brown butter and pecan (love that combo too!) basmati rice and your house salad. I love pecans so much that I used 1/3 cup and toasted them before using them. Took the “light” out if the dish but I didn’t care! At least i didnt double the butter too.. :) The cranberries in your house salad and that great dressing were a perfect taste pairing.
    Thanks Pam!!!

grace — October 22, 2013 @ 11:36 am

fantastic use of cider! that stuff is one of my favorite aspects of fall, and it goes so well with chicken!

Anne ~ Uni Homemaker — October 22, 2013 @ 8:55 pm

I’m always looking for new ways to make chicken. This looks perfect! Love the simplicity of this dish Pam!

Chris — October 23, 2013 @ 3:05 pm

Those look perfectly cooked and the sauce sounds delightful!

inthekitchenwithluba.com — November 1, 2013 @ 1:36 pm

These look really good, and the sauce sounds wonderful, very fallish!

Healthy Meal Inspiration From Our Favorite Pinterest Boards — November 22, 2013 @ 6:01 am

[...] connect with your family about their day. Please your family with these recipes for kid-friendly Apple Cider-Glazed Chicken Drumsticks and Pumpkin-Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate Chips for [...]