Shrimp, Black Bean, and Avocado Tostada

I would like to say a huge thank you for your kind words and prayers sent to my husband and his family.  It has been a very sad and difficult situation and we all really appreciated your thoughtful comments and e-mails.

On to the recipe:

I made this tostada for lunch using leftover ingredients that I had in the refrigerator. I simply seasoned the shrimp with Mexican spices and they tasted amazing with the crisp tostada, black beans, and creamy avocado.  I really enjoyed this tostada and plan to make it again for dinner because my entire family will love it! Quick, easy, healthy, and tasty – you can’t beat that!

Heat a skillet over medium heat.  Coat a corn tortilla with cooking spray on both sides then place it into the skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until crispy and golden brown. Heat the leftover drained and rinsed black beans seasoned with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, garlic powder, and cumin, to taste, in the microwave for 30 seconds or until warm.

Place the skillet coated with cooking spray back on the stove over medium high heat. Add the shrimp and season with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, cumin, oregano, paprika, chili powder, and garlic powder, to taste.  Side Note:  I didn’t measure the seasoning, I just sprinkled a little bit of each onto the shrimp. Cook for 2-3 minutes then flip the shrimp and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until done. Remove from heat.

Layer the tostada shell with sour cream, black beans, cooked shrimp, avocado, tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro.  Serve immediately.  Enjoy!

Shrimp, Black Bean, and Avocado Tostada

Yield: 1

Prep Time: 5 min.

Cook Time: 10 min.

Total Time: 15 min.

Ingredients:

Cooking spray
1 corn tortilla
Black beans, drained & rinsed
6-8 shrimp, tail removed & deveined
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Dash of cumin, to taste
Dash of oregano, to taste
Dash of paprika, to taste
Dash of chili powder, to taste
Dash of garlic powder, to taste
Avocado, diced
Grape tomatoes, sliced
Green onions, sliced
Fresh cilantro, chopped

Directions:

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Coat a corn tortilla with cooking spray on both sides and place it into the skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until crispy and golden brown. Heat the leftover drained and rinsed black beans seasoned with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, garlic powder, and cumin, to taste, in the microwave for 30 seconds or until warm.

Place the skillet coated with cooking spray back on the stove over medium high heat. Add the shrimp and season with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, cumin, oregano, paprika, chili powder, and garlic powder, to taste. Side Note: I didn't measure the seasoning, I just sprinkled a little bit of each onto the shrimp. Cook for 2-3 minutes then flip the shrimp and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until done. Remove from heat.

Layer the tostada shell with sour cream, black beans, cooked shrimp, avocado, tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro. Serve immediately. Enjoy!

Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking

22 Responses to “Shrimp, Black Bean, and Avocado Tostada”

Sarah Beer — November 19, 2012 @ 7:48 pm

Welcome back Pam. Keep strong! :)

Words Of Deliciousness — November 19, 2012 @ 8:07 pm

I am happy to see that you are back.

This tostada looks yummy!

Kate — November 19, 2012 @ 9:54 pm

Mmmmm….this sounds mighty good! I am pinning this so that I don’t forget!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — November 19, 2012 @ 11:22 pm

My condolences, Pam! Glad to see you back though – I’ve missed you! And this tostada is just screaming my name. I could eat this for every meal!

Carmen Rosa — November 20, 2012 @ 2:44 am

My condolences also in this dificult moments in your lives Pam….
    I love how colorful this dish is!! And full of so many of my favorite things!

Debbie — November 20, 2012 @ 3:35 am

This looks delicious Pam. Going to have to try it soon. I was told last night that lately I just keep making the “same things over and over.” Not good….this should shake things up a bit !!!!!

Mary — November 20, 2012 @ 5:49 am

This is making my mouth water, Pam! I’m glad to have you back. Praying continued peace and healing for your family.

Kris — November 20, 2012 @ 8:04 am

Pam, I have been so busy lately, that I am not as good at my blogging visits. I missed your post regarding a family loss. I don’t know what happened, but I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. You will be in my prayers.
    xo Kris

Joanne — November 20, 2012 @ 10:17 am

I’m definitely looking for healthy delicious fare like this to keep me occupied before the holidays! Looks great!
    PS – another round of hugs for all of you!!

Bill — November 20, 2012 @ 11:02 am

What a beautiful, simple, and delicious dish! I love Mexican food which can be heavy and high fat. This one is very healthy! Great job and excellent photos! Thanks for sharing.

Kim in MD — November 20, 2012 @ 12:18 pm

Hi Pam- I’m so sorry (again) for your loss. The grief doesn’t end toda or tomorrowy…it will take time to be able to laugh and enjoy the memories of your loved on instead of crying for the loss them. This time of year is especially hard, with the holidays coming. I have been and will continue to keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

The tostada looks delicious, by the way! If only I could eat shrimp! ;-(

gloria — November 20, 2012 @ 3:21 pm

Dear Pam Im happy to see you again , hope your husband and family feeling better soon .

This look delicious I really love avocados and tostada, :)

hugs

Jenn's Food Journey — November 20, 2012 @ 5:09 pm

Welcome back, Pam! Your family has been in my thoughts.
    What a great little treat to come back to too! Looks and sounds delicious!!

The Café Sucré Farine — November 21, 2012 @ 4:47 am

You are most definitely the left-over queen, Pam! This looks so fresh and delicious!

Angie@Angie's Recipes — November 21, 2012 @ 9:35 am

Welcome back, Pam!
    The tostada looks mouthwatering!

grace — November 21, 2012 @ 1:17 pm

these tostadas are perfect…after plucking those skanky shrimps off, of course. :)

Kerstin — November 21, 2012 @ 8:27 pm

Yum, I always forget about tostadas for some reason but they are so tasty – especially this yummy shrimp version!
    My thoughts are with you and your family. *hugs*

Chris — November 23, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

Your family is still in our thoughts, you two.

vanillasugarblog — November 25, 2012 @ 5:05 pm

I’m so sorry I haven’t been around.
    My knee has been giving me a lot of issues and my arthritis in there on top of it. Sorry I missed a lot of your posts and now your family troubles.
    So sorry honey :-( Email me if you need to talk–I’m always here.

Delisa — February 16, 2013 @ 7:08 pm

OMG…These are so good. I am trying to figure out a way to prepare them at work for my coworkers. I made them one night, and of course there were leftover beans, so I HAD to make them again the next night. My twelve year old daughter loved them too. the seasonings on the shrimp and on the beans were perfect.

Shon posted an update — March 21, 2013 @ 10:36 pm

Excellent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely great. Shon posted an update http://www.hanshangyuan.com/bbs/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=46988

Cinco de Mayo Recipes | My Best Cookbook — May 2, 2013 @ 7:55 pm