Caramelized Onion and Swiss Cheese Twice Baked Potatoes

Twice baked potatoes are always a delicious and tasty side dish.  I decided to make simply seasoned twice baked potatoes topped with some caramelized onion and a little shredded Swiss cheese.  They turned out so delicious – my husband and I both loved them.  My son opted for only Swiss cheese on his and my daughter (who doesn’t like cheese) wanted a plain one. I served these potatoes with Apricot-Soy Pork Chops and Asparagus with Dijon Vinaigrette for a delicious meal.  I think I will be serving these with my traditional Christmas prime rib dinner… they are elegant, easy, and delicious – you can’t beat that!

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Wash the potatoes then poke holes throughout the potato with a fork or knife.  Place into the oven and bake for 60 minutes, or until cooked through.  Remove from the oven and let them cool.

While the potatoes are baking, make the caramelized onions.  Place the oil into a skillet over medium heat.  Add the sliced onions and cook, stirring often, for 25-30 minutes, or until caramelized and golden brown. Side Note: If the skillet gets dry, add a tablespoon of water or two.  Season with sea salt, to taste, and a splash of vinegar.  Remove from the skillet and set aside.

When potatoes are done cooking, allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Slice potatoes in half lengthwise and gently scoop out the flesh into a mixing bowl (set skins aside). Add sour cream,  butter, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Mix thoroughly then spoon mixture into the potato skins. Top each potato with the caramelized onions then sprinkle the top with a bit of shredded Swiss cheese.

Place them back into the oven for a few minutes until the cheese has melted.  Serve immediately.  Enjoy.

Caramelized Onion and Swiss Cheese Twice Baked Potatoes

Yield: 4

Prep Time: 10 min.

Cook Time: 60 min.

Total Time: 75 min.

Ingredients:

2 russet potatoes, cleaned
2-3 tsp olive oil
1 sweet yellow onion, sliced
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Splash of seasoned rice vinegar (balsamic would work too)
1/4 cup of sour cream
1-2 tbsp of butter (more if desired)
Swish cheese, shredded, to taste

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Wash the potatoes then poke holes throughout the potato with a fork or knife. Place into the oven and bake for 60 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from the oven and let them cool.

While the potatoes are baking, make the caramelized onions. Place the oil into a skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook, stirring often, for 25-30 minutes, or until caramelized and golden brown. Side Note: If the skillet gets dry, add a tablespoon of water or two. Season with sea salt, to taste, and a splash of vinegar. Remove from the skillet and set aside.

When potatoes are done cooking, allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Slice potatoes in half lengthwise and gently scoop out the flesh into a mixing bowl (set skins aside). Add sour cream, butter, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Mix thoroughly then spoon mixture into the potato skins. Top each potato with the caramelized onions then sprinkle the top with a bit of shredded Swiss cheese. Place them back into the oven for a few minutes until the cheese has melted. Serve immediately. Enjoy.

Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking

19 Responses to “Caramelized Onion and Swiss Cheese Twice Baked Potatoes”

Katarina — November 7, 2012 @ 12:31 am

This sounds really delicious! A nice way to use potatoes!

Jenn's Food Journey — November 7, 2012 @ 4:29 am

Great addition to the standard twice baked potato! Love caramelized onions!!

Kevin (Closet Cooking) — November 7, 2012 @ 4:32 am

Those are some tasty looking potatoes! Makes me think of french onion soup baked potatoes!

Kim in MD — November 7, 2012 @ 4:32 am

What an great, elegant twist on the standard twice baked potato. I think they would be the perfect side dish for your Christmas prime rib!

Martha — November 7, 2012 @ 5:30 am

Hey! Great minds think alike! :) I recently made some stuffed baked potatoes with caramilzed onions and mushrooms with Gruyere Cheese and some with Beef tip Gravy. Delicious!

Timbo — November 7, 2012 @ 5:40 am

Twice baked potatoes have never worked out for me:
    - potatoes in a 400 oven for 60 minutes are not cool enough to work with in just 10 minutes
    - by the time they are cool enough, I have trouble getting the nice potato meat out without breaking the skin
    This recipe sounds so delicious that it makes me want to try again, though.

mary @ what's cookin with mary — November 7, 2012 @ 8:19 am

This is a great idea Pam! I always do the usual butter, sour cream/ Greek yogurt, bacon, cheese and green onions, but this sounds like it would be so tasty. I also love how you can make these ahead and bake them later. I’m all about make ahead recipes.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — November 7, 2012 @ 10:08 am

Twice-baked potatoes with my favorite ingredients? YES PLEASE!

Carmen Rosa — November 7, 2012 @ 10:53 am

Pam, This sounds delicious!!!!!

Joanne — November 7, 2012 @ 12:14 pm

The caramelized onion and cheese combo is just to-die for. These sound amazing!!

Larry — November 7, 2012 @ 12:43 pm

We love twice baked potatoes but usually top with bacon and cheddar, but this version sounds delicious.

Honey What's Cooking — November 7, 2012 @ 1:45 pm

this looks amazing pam. So many times I feel like I have no food, and really all I need to do is cook this up, I have all the ingredients. Kinda looks like French Onion soup in a potato form. DELISH!

Peggy Recker — November 7, 2012 @ 2:17 pm

Oh my I love twice baked potatoes.

Chris — November 7, 2012 @ 6:12 pm

Wow, Pam this could be the whole dinner for me! Potatoes are a weakness for me and these look so wonderful!

Words Of Deliciousness — November 7, 2012 @ 8:41 pm

I love these potatoes. They look so yummy with the melted cheese and caramelized onions.

Angie@Angie's Recipes — November 8, 2012 @ 12:51 am

I must make this! They look IRRESISTIBLE!

grace — November 8, 2012 @ 9:40 am

those look positively glorious, pam! this particular combination of three of my sources of comfort is brand new to me. :)

melissa@IWasBornToCook — November 9, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

I LOVE swiss cheese and onions together…this looks fantastic!

Chris — November 13, 2012 @ 8:02 am

Kapow! That is stupendous, what a freaking great idea. (Can you tell these excited me?)