Smashed Potatoes with Sour Cream and Chives

My kids are big fans of mashed potatoes and they are always very happy when I serve them with dinner. I decided to change it up and bit and make smashed potatoes with butter, sour cream, and chives. I used Yukon gold potatoes because they are rich, creamy, and so delicious.  I served this side dish with the Italian Meatloaf and the Sautéed Kale, Grape Tomatoes, Garlic, and Parmesan for a delicious and comforting meal.  We all LOVED these potatoes and they tasted great (with the leftover meatloaf) the next day too.

Heat a large pot of salted water until boiling.  Add the potatoes and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until fork tender and cooked through.  Drain the potatoes; add the sour cream, butter, chives, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste.  Mash by hand with a potato masher until creamy.  Serve immediately.  Enjoy.

Smashed Potatoes with Sour Cream and Chives

Yield: 4

Prep Time: 5 min.

Cook Time: 20 min.

Total Time: 25-30 min.

Ingredients:

6-7 Yukon gold potatoes (leave the skin on), halved
3 tbsp sour cream
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste

Directions:

Heat a large pot of salted water until boiling. Add the potatoes and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until fork tender and cooked through. Drain the potatoes (leaving the skin on); add the sour cream, butter, chives, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Mash by hand with a potato masher until creamy. Serve immediately. Enjoy.

20 Responses to “Smashed Potatoes with Sour Cream and Chives”

Kris — October 10, 2012 @ 9:01 pm

My family is big on mashed taters too! Love the Yukon Golds. So creamy!
    Hugs,
    Kris

Mikaela Cowles — October 10, 2012 @ 9:42 pm

Whenever I read the title of your blog, I can’t help but think of a man in his mid-40s, sitting at a kitchen table waiting for dinner. The steaming plate arrives, his glowering look remains. He takes a bite. “For the love of cooking,” he yells in the same satisfied exhausted explosion he occasionally has at other more intimate moments.

Most likely your image is completely different, but I thought I’d share because that’ be one good plate of food – the kind it seems like you’re dishing up on a regular basis.

With that in mind – ohhh potatoes. The sour cream is a nice touch. I’m in a bacon-bacon-bacon phase, so I’d probably throw some in the mix. But, ummmm do these look good.

Carmen Rosa — October 11, 2012 @ 2:30 am

I love mashed potatoes anyway I can get them…this looks delicious, Pam!

Joanne — October 11, 2012 @ 3:59 am

Who doesn’t love mashed (or smashed) potatoes…especially with chives!

Kim in MD — October 11, 2012 @ 4:00 am

Yum! would eat mashed potatoes every single day if I could! Sadly, I restrain myself and only eat them in moderation. I love your version with Yukon Golds and sour cream! The next time I am craving mashed potatoes I will give your recipe a try!

bellini — October 11, 2012 @ 5:02 am

I love smashed potatoes!

Jenn's Food Journey — October 11, 2012 @ 5:27 am

ooohhh… I could just eat a large bowl of these potatoes… I don’t need anything else!!!

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook — October 11, 2012 @ 6:15 am

Your potatoes look fabulous! Love it with the sour cream and chives. Perfection.

Sues — October 11, 2012 @ 7:13 am

Sour cream and onion mashed potatoes. Pretty and delicious-looking!!

teresa — October 11, 2012 @ 10:09 am

mmm, nothing is better this time of year than a big serving of mashed potatoes. these look awesome!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — October 11, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

Amazing! I think this needs to make an appearance as a Thanksgiving side dish!

Marjie — October 11, 2012 @ 1:58 pm

I slice my potatoes in a food processor, and boil them, then stir in the goodies: sour cream and chives, butter and parsley, whatever. They’re not really mashed, but they are broken up and delightful. I really need to try your gold potatoes.

Anne — October 11, 2012 @ 2:11 pm

This smashed potato recipe looks amazing! I usually use russet potatoes or red potatoes in mine. I will give this one a try. Thanks for sharing!

Terri — October 11, 2012 @ 5:11 pm

I make smashed potatoes with new red potatoes, unpeeled. You just boil them in some salted water, mash them with a fork, add butter, sour cream. Sometimes I switch it up and leave out the sour cream and add milk and some Parmesan cheese. My family loves them, and there are never any leftovers!!

Blond Duck — October 11, 2012 @ 6:51 pm

Mikealea’s comment cracked me up. That’s all I’ve got. :)

Words Of Deliciousness — October 11, 2012 @ 8:12 pm

I love smashed potatoes. These look amazing. Sour cream and chive a great combination to add to potatoes.

Maya @ Mayaskitchen.ca — October 12, 2012 @ 6:29 am

Great photos! now I’m hungry and it’s only 10am :)
    At home, I make my mashed potatoes in a similar yet different way. I mash them and then add butter, milk and sour cream; it gives the potatoes some fluff and it’s so good! My husband likes it when I add some fried chopped onions and mix it in. You should try it :) it’s such a wintery dish :)

grace — October 12, 2012 @ 2:53 pm

of all the ways one can prepare potatoes, this girl is the most satisfied with a simple smashing. :)

Sarah B. — October 12, 2012 @ 5:10 pm

MMMMMM my favorite! We also add garlic!

Wizzy — October 14, 2012 @ 12:31 pm

This is a favourite in my home as well. Comfort food for sure!