Garlic Roasted Chicken

It was a very cold and rainy day today so I decided to roast a chicken for dinner. There is just something so comforting to me about roasting a chicken on cold days. I rubbed garlic butter under the skin onto the chicken breasts.  I simply seasoned the bird with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and garlic powder. It was simple to prepare and the entire house smelled amazing while the chicken was roasting. The meat turned out flavorful, tender, and so juicy.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Remove chicken giblets out of the cavity and rinse the chicken. Pat dry with paper towels. Mix together the butter and 2 cloves of minced garlic together until well combined. Carefully, loosen the skin covering the breasts and coat the breasts with the butter mixture.  Coat the chicken with olive oil cooking spray and season the entire bird with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and garlic powder, to taste.

Season the inside of the cavity with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and garlic powder, to taste then place the onion, garlic cloves, and fresh parsley into the cavity. Place the bird on a roasting rack in a roasting pan.

Place a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh without touching the bone. Place the chicken into the oven and roast for 1 1/2 hours or until the temperature reaches 180 degrees. Remove the chicken from the oven and let the bird rest with a tin foil tent for at least 10 minutes before carving. Enjoy.

Garlic Roasted Chicken

Yield: 8

Prep Time: 5 min.

Total Time: 1.5 - 2 hours

Ingredients:

1 5lb chicken
1/2 tbsp butter, softened
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Olive oil cooking spray
Garlic powder, to taste
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
5 large cloves of garlic
1/2 sweet yellow onion, cut into wedges
Fresh parsley

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Remove chicken giblets out of the cavity and rinse the chicken. Pat dry with paper towels. Mix together the butter and 2 cloves of minced garlic together until well combined. Carefully, loosen the skin covering the breasts and coat the breasts with the butter mixture. Coat the chicken with olive oil cooking spray and season the entire bird with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and garlic powder, to taste.

Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking

22 Responses to “Garlic Roasted Chicken”

gloria — October 15, 2012 @ 7:43 pm

love garlic so a garlic chicken is delicious!

Rhonda — October 15, 2012 @ 8:00 pm

I am almost to the point where I can turn my oven on and this is one of the first things I am making, I love roast chicken.

ihvan — October 15, 2012 @ 8:59 pm

Günaydın, ellerinize sağlık. Ne kadar güzel, leziz ve iştah açıcı görünüyor.

Saygılar.

fuat — October 15, 2012 @ 9:48 pm

Günaydın, ellerinize sağlık. Ne kadar güzel, leziz ve iştah açıcı görünüyor.

Saygılar.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — October 15, 2012 @ 10:34 pm

So when can I come over for dinner, Pam?! :)

• Pam replied: — October 16th, 2012 @ 8:08 am

Whenever you want!

Kim in MD — October 16, 2012 @ 4:24 am

Isn’t roasted chicken is the ultimate comfort food? Your recipe sounds simple, yet scrumptious, Pam!

Sandi-A New York Foodie — October 16, 2012 @ 4:41 am

That looks delicious Pam! I love roast chicken. I also like the fact that you don’t use much butter. I will definitely be making that.

Kris — October 16, 2012 @ 7:13 am

That looks so delicious! Nothing like that smell in the house!!
    Hey, I have a question for you…….do you plan out your meals for the week, and know what you are cooking? Going to the market and getting all of your things beforehand? Or, do you fly by the seat of your pants, and cook what suits you on a whim? Doing the shopping for that as needed?
    Just wondered.
    xo Kris

• Pam replied: — October 16th, 2012 @ 7:46 am

I never meal plan. I usually go with what I am craving or with what I have on hand. It’s not very organized but it works for me. :)

Jersey Girl Cooks — October 16, 2012 @ 10:03 am

Chicken is such a comforting meal. I love roasting a big one and having leftovers for the week.

Blond Duck — October 16, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

I’m all about roasted chickens!

Joanne — October 16, 2012 @ 6:22 pm

Mmm garlic butter does sound like the ideal seasoning!

Words Of Deliciousness — October 16, 2012 @ 7:33 pm

I love roasting a whole chicken. This one looks and sounds delicious. I love that you put the onion, parsley, and garlic in the cavity, I am sure it gave the chicken a wonderful flavor.

Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Honey and Balsamic Vinegar | My Best Cookbook — October 17, 2012 @ 1:00 am

[...] of the parsnips.  My husband and I both thought it was a nice side dish that went well with the Garlic Roasted Chicken and the Smashed Potatoes with Sour Cream and Chives (we loved these potatoes so much last week [...]

Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Honey and Balsamic Vinegar Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Honey and Balsamic Vinegar | Cookbook | OniMag - Trend 'n Life — October 17, 2012 @ 1:36 am

[...] the parsnips.  My husband and I both thought it was a nice side dish that went well with the Garlic Roasted Chicken and the Smashed Potatoes with Sour Cream and Chives (we loved these potatoes so much last [...]

Krista — October 17, 2012 @ 6:43 am

this looks fantastic! you don’t happen to have any pictures with the meat thermometer in there, do you? I always feel like I’m putting it in the wrong place, or too deep…also, do you have any meat thermometer suggestions? thanks!

• Pam replied: — October 17th, 2012 @ 7:40 am

Krista,

I don’t have any pictures of the meat thermometer. You need to put it in to the thigh making sure not to touch bone.

Here is a link to a video that I just found online that may help you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykAhA1brf6g

Angie@Angie's Recipes — October 17, 2012 @ 10:55 am

Same over here…rainy and cold ;-(
    The roasted chicken looks comforting and awesome!

Lia — October 18, 2012 @ 3:48 am

Hi Pam,
    So simple and so divine!!!!
    Lia.

Chris — October 21, 2012 @ 8:08 am

Pretty bird!

Sun World — October 29, 2012 @ 11:45 am

Looks simple enough, will have to try on a sunday to give more time ;D gotta start somewhere in trying something new! :D