Zucchini with Lime and Cotija Cheese

I wanted to make a nice veggie to go with the Cilantro-Lime Chicken with Avocado Salsa and the Southwestern Rice Pilaf.  After looking through the refrigerator I found some zucchini that needed to be used up.  I seasoned the zucchini with some lime juice, olive oil, and sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste then grilled it up in my grill pan until tender.  I served this grilled zucchini topped with lime zest and cotija cheese.  It was the perfect side dish to pair with the rice and chicken.

Cut the zucchini into spears then place into a shallow bowl.  Drizzle the top with the lime juice, olive oil, sea salt, and freshly cracked pepper, to taste.  Toss to coat evenly.

Heat a grill pan over medium high heat then coat with cooking spray.  Place the zucchini into the grill pan and cook on each side for 1-2 minutes or until it has nice grill marks and the zucchini is tender.  Place the zucchini on a serving plate then sprinkle the top with lime zest and grated cotija cheese.  Serve immediately.  Enjoy.

Zucchini with Lime and Cotija Cheese

Yield: 4

Prep Time: 5 min.

Cook Time: 5 min.

Total Time: 10 min.

Ingredients:

2 zucchini, cut into spears
2 tsp olive oil
Juice of one lime
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Zest of one lime
Cotija cheese, grated

Directions:

Cut the zucchini into spears then place into a shallow bowl. Drizzle the top with the lime juice, olive oil, sea salt, and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Toss to coat evenly.

Heat a grill pan over medium high heat then coat with cooking spray. Place the zucchini into the grill pan and cook on each side for 1-2 minutes or until it has nice grill marks all over and the zucchini is tender. Place the zucchini on a serving plate then sprinkle the top with lime zest and grated cotija cheese. Serve immediately. Enjoy.

28 Responses to “Zucchini with Lime and Cotija Cheese”

Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate — August 29, 2012 @ 7:51 pm

I bet this pairs so nicely with your cilantro lime chicken with avocado salsa! Yum! What a simple way to add a few extra nutrients, like fiber, to your day.

Lynda — August 29, 2012 @ 9:49 pm

This is a yummy use of zucchini Pam! A great side dish.

The Duo Dishes — August 29, 2012 @ 10:38 pm

Everybody needs an easy side dish for summer.

Lia — August 30, 2012 @ 3:32 am

Hi Pam,
    Amazing combination of flavours and spectacular result!!
    Thanks for sharing this fantastic recipe with us.
    Lia.

Joanne — August 30, 2012 @ 4:04 am

Cotija!!! That was pretty much all I needed to see. Great side dish!

Kim in MD — August 30, 2012 @ 4:51 am

I can just imagine how delicious this was with the chicken and the rice, Pam! You make the most delicious meals!

Katie C. — August 30, 2012 @ 5:00 am

I’ve never heard of cotija cheese. What is it?

• Pam replied: — August 30th, 2012 @ 8:32 am

Cotija cheese is a Mexican white cheese that is salty and wonderful. You will usually find it near the chorizo in most grocery stores. I hope this helps.

Carries Experimental Kitchen — August 30, 2012 @ 5:03 am

This looks heavenly, but I’ve never heard of cotija cheese either..I’ll have to find some to try! Thanks for sharing.

Jenn's Food Journey — August 30, 2012 @ 5:25 am

So simple and perfect… I love it!!!

Mary — August 30, 2012 @ 7:26 am

This looks absolutely perfect. I’m completely hooked on the taste of lime with my vegetables this summer.

Helene — August 30, 2012 @ 7:52 am

We see zucchinis everywhere now that they are in seasons. I like to try different recipes with them. This looks good.

kellypea — August 30, 2012 @ 7:58 am

We would love this — I find myself often with an idea that isn’t quite going to make it with what I have on hand, so it’s fun to add a new flavor to the mix. The zucchini is perfect for this — especially with that nice, salty Cotija.

Rhonda (@diningalone) — August 30, 2012 @ 8:34 am

Now that looks simple and delicious, I really need to try that cheese I know it is easily available here.

Neringa — August 30, 2012 @ 9:01 am

Hi, this looks great :) was just wondering how much of zucchini have you used? :)

• Pam replied: — August 30th, 2012 @ 9:11 am

Thank you for letting me know! I have corrected the recipe to add the zucchini.

Neringa — August 30, 2012 @ 9:02 am

Oh, I saw in photo that you used 2 zucchini! Sorry :D

gloria — August 30, 2012 @ 9:04 am

I love zucchinis!!

Marjie — August 30, 2012 @ 12:12 pm

I love zucchini raw or cooked. This sounds like a great recipe, and perfect to round out your meal.

Hazel from Chicken in a Cherry Sauce — August 30, 2012 @ 3:39 pm

Lovely flavours with your zucchini. I’m very intrigued by the cotija cheese but I don’t think that I’ll manage to find it here in the UK!

Words Of Deliciousness — August 30, 2012 @ 7:55 pm

This is a great way to serve zucchini!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — August 31, 2012 @ 9:14 am

What awesome flavors! I’ve been meaning to cook with more zucchini lately so this is right up my alley!

Angie@Angie's Recipes — August 31, 2012 @ 10:33 am

Had zucchini for dinner today, but just a simple stir-fry with tomatoes. Yours looks way better!

Ann — August 31, 2012 @ 1:37 pm

This was a wonderful side dish. Brenda and I really enjoyed it.
    Thanks for the great recipes.

Ann

Chris — September 3, 2012 @ 9:26 am

Cotija cheese makes me happy! It’s salty goodness is so delicious on veggies.

Gillian — September 3, 2012 @ 9:29 am

Working on the saltiness idea, I wonder if feta or even good English Wensleydale could be substituted for Cotija? Both substitutes need crumbling as they don’t grate/shred well but I’ll give it a try.

A Healthy Meal: Zucchini with Lime & Cojita Cheese! — October 12, 2012 @ 11:59 am

[...] http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2012/08/zucchini-with-lime-and-cotija-cheese.html Zucchini with Lime and Cojita Cheese by Simply Recipes [...]

Zucchini and Asaparagus with Lime and Cotija (what a mouthful) « project granola mom — October 31, 2012 @ 7:26 pm

[...] zucchini (and Asparagus, or any vegetable really) with Lime and Cotija Cheese (original recipe from For the Love of Cooking) [...]