Grilled Vegetable and Smoked Fontina Pizza

I saw this recipe in the August 2012 Cooking Light issue and decided to make it for dinner last night.  When I went to the store to grab pizza dough – they were out!  UGH.  Luckily I found a tube of pizza dough and it actually turned out to be flavorful and tasty (after I seasoned it a bit).  I par cooked the dough that was drizzled with olive oil, sea salt, and freshly cracked pepper while I grilled the veggies.  I then covered the dough with smoked fontina (I could only find slices but shredded would work better) and topped it with the veggies.  I lightly seasoned the top of the pizza with crushed red pepper flakes and more sea salt and freshly cracked pepper.  It turned out to be EXCELLENT!  My husband and I both gobbled it right up and we were secretly happy that the kids wanted soup & grilled cheese for dinner so we didn’t have to share.  It was THAT good!

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with a silpat mat.

Preheat the grill to high heat.  Drizzle the bell pepper, zucchini, red onion, and asparagus spears with a little olive oil then season with a bit of sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste; mix until evenly coated.  Place on the grill rack that has been coated with cooking spray; grill 8 minutes or until tender.

Meanwhile, place the dough onto the baking sheet.  Drizzle a bit of olive oil on top of the dough then season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste.  Place into the oven and cook for 5 minutes.

Remove the veggies from the grill.  Remove the dough from the oven.  Sprinkle with cheese then place the veggies on top along with a handful of grape tomatoes.  Season again with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and crushed red pepper, to taste, if desired.

Place into the oven and bake for 13-15 minutes or until the dough is golden brown and the cheese has melted.  Slice and serve.  Enjoy.

Grilled Vegetable and Smoked Fontina Pizza

Yield: 4

Prep Time: 10 min.

Cook Time: 25 min.

Total Time: 35 min.

Ingredients:

2 baby bell pepper, sliced
10 spears of asparagus, ends removed and sliced in half
1 zucchini, cut diagonally into coins
1 red onion cut into wedges
4 tsp of olive oil (divided)
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
1 tube of thin crust pizza dough
Smoked fontina cheese, shredded
Handful of grape tomatoes
Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silpat mat.

Preheat the grill to high heat. Drizzle the bell pepper, zucchini, red onion, and asparagus spears with a little olive oil then season with a bit of sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste; mix until evenly coated. Place on the grill rack that has been coated with cooking spray; grill 8 minutes or until tender.

Meanwhile, place the dough onto the baking sheet. Drizzle a bit of olive oil on top of the dough then season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Place into the oven and cook for 5 minutes.

Remove the veggies from the grill. Remove the dough from the oven. Sprinkle with cheese then place the veggies on top along with a handful of grape tomatoes. Season again with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and crushed red pepper, to taste, if desired.

Place into the oven and bake for 13-15 minutes or until the dough is golden brown and the cheese has melted. Slice and serve. Enjoy.

Adapted recipe by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe by Cooking Light - August 2012

34 Responses to “Grilled Vegetable and Smoked Fontina Pizza”

Sarah Yoder — July 23, 2012 @ 8:17 pm

This looks amazing! I’m pinning this to make this weekend! Thanks for sharing!

Kris — July 23, 2012 @ 9:38 pm

Hi Pammy,
    That looks so good!! I have never used one of those crusts in the tube. Good to know that it was good. I usually buy a couple of dough balls every time I go to fresh & easy, and pop one into the freezer for later.
    We do our pizza very similarly. I like to par bake the crust too. We do pizza about twice a month at least. I love asparagus on pizza!!!!
    YUMMY post Pam!
    XO Kris

mia xara — July 23, 2012 @ 10:00 pm

Hi Pam, what a quick and colorful suggestion!!! Love the smoked cheese idea!!! Such an appetizing ensemble!!

Katy's Eats — July 24, 2012 @ 1:01 am

This is fresh !
    Great pizza !
    Kate.

Diane — July 24, 2012 @ 5:01 am

That looks so good. Diane

Kim in MD — July 24, 2012 @ 5:01 am

What a gorgeous, summery pizza! I hate it when I have plans (or a craving) to make a dish and the store doesn’t have the ingredients! I have never tried that pizza dough in a tube. I ‘m glad it worked in a pinch!

Jenn's Food Journey — July 24, 2012 @ 5:27 am

I use that tube dough quite often actually… they never seem to have pizza dough at the store when I need it!! It turns out pretty good, especially if you season it a bit. I bet this was fantastic!

jackie @ marin mama cooks — July 24, 2012 @ 7:03 am

Beautiful pizza Pam. It’s so full of color. I almost made some tomato soup last night and grilled cheese sandwiches last night as we had a wintery sort of day. It was 59 degrees, foggy and windy, brrrrr. Time for some winter cooking in the summer :) I know you can relate being in Oregon.

Helene — July 24, 2012 @ 7:37 am

I am a subscriber of Cooking Light mag but did not noticed this recipe. I’ll have to try, it looks yum!

Susan — July 24, 2012 @ 8:00 am

EzraPoundCake.com has a great pizza crust recipe as part of her “Grandma Pizza” posting. It can be mixed entirely in a stand mixer and does need some proofing time, but it’s really easy. I no longer buy pizza dough at all. I have used that one for every type of pizza I make.

Connie — July 24, 2012 @ 8:25 am

That looks amazing! So glad the kiddos wanted something else for dinner :-) I think I need to make a pizza for dinner tomorrow.

Marjie — July 24, 2012 @ 1:04 pm

You can make your own dough, too, and it is just wonderful! Great dinner, with all that color.

Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi) — July 24, 2012 @ 1:14 pm

This looks like a pizza my husband and I could both dig. YUM.

Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate — July 24, 2012 @ 1:29 pm

Look at all those vegetables! What a great way to boost your daily fiber intake and get your pizza fix all at the same time! :)

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — July 24, 2012 @ 2:07 pm

that is perfection right there!i love all the veggies!

gloria — July 24, 2012 @ 4:47 pm

Pam this pizza look really beautiful!

Mary — July 24, 2012 @ 5:39 pm

Beautiful! lovely and healthy :)
    Mary x

Joanne — July 24, 2012 @ 5:57 pm

I saw this in that CL issue also and came THISCLOSE to making it! I had no time to make dough though…maybe when I get back from vacation! Looks awesome.

Blond Duck — July 24, 2012 @ 6:19 pm

I wonder if you could cook the dough on a grill. Hmmm….

Larry — July 24, 2012 @ 6:36 pm

Your pizza is a great use of summer veggies.

Words Of Deliciousness — July 24, 2012 @ 8:14 pm

Yum, this pizza looks fantastic. Sounds like it is healthy too, with all the vegetables.

Angie@Angie's Recipes — July 25, 2012 @ 3:17 am

Quick and delicious! Love all the summer veggies topping.

Minnie(@thelady8home) — July 25, 2012 @ 5:04 am

Looks and sounds awesome! Lovely healthy recipe.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — July 25, 2012 @ 5:31 am

I absolutely love all the toppings on this pizza!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — July 25, 2012 @ 7:22 am

What a gorgeous pizza! I bet that smoked fontina was delicious on this. I’ve used those Pillsbury pizza crusts before and they’re not half bad, especially when you just don’t have time to make your own.

Lucie @ My Weekend's cooked — July 25, 2012 @ 5:38 pm

Looks wonderful!! I was thinking about making pizza soon and I’m in love with summer produce. I might try a pesto base with mine, but I am intrigued by all the fresh vegetables. I can’t stop salivating over your pictures!

Pat in OR — July 25, 2012 @ 10:12 pm

This looks like another winner!! Do you suppose I could use one of the pre-made crusts (such as a boboli) as well. We picked up some of those from our local bakery outlet and this looks like it would be good to use with.
    Thanks again.

• Pam replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 7:38 am

Pat,

I am sure the Boboli crust will work just fine. Enjoy.

Chris — July 28, 2012 @ 2:51 pm

Wait, you almost tricked me into wanting something that has no meat on/in it. Cut that out! ;)

much-recipes — August 1, 2012 @ 6:08 am

This looks amazing!

Grilled Veggie and Smoked Fontina Pizza « project granola mom — October 30, 2012 @ 8:30 am

[...] Grilled Veggie and Smoked Fontina Pizza (original recipe from For the Love of Cooking) [...]

Super Bowl Round-Up and a Giveaway!! | My Best Cookbook — February 3, 2013 @ 11:31 am

[...] Grilled Vegetable and Smoked Fontina Pizza [...]

willwater — July 10, 2013 @ 6:12 pm

Have you considered including a few social bookmarking links to these blogs. At the very least for facebook.

tblmoto — July 11, 2013 @ 2:19 am

You are so talented. I love the doggies!