Baby Artichokes Stuffed with Panko, Parmesan, and Garlic

I adapted a recipe I found on the blog Snails View that looked really delicious.  It was a fairly easy side dish to prepare, which was nice because I thought it would be much harder.  After peeling off the thicker outer leaves and slicing them in half, I steamed them for a few minutes until fork tender.  I then mixed together the panko, Parmesan, garlic, lemon zest, crushed red pepper, and olive oil then spo0ned it on top of the artichokes.  I baked them for 15 minutes before serving.  They were  flavorful and delicious.  The stuffed baby artichokes paired really nicely with my House Salad and the chicken (it will post tomorrow) I served.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Coat a small baking dish with cooking spray.

Add a bunch of water to a large bowl then squeeze half the lemon juice into the water.  Take each artichoke and peel off the heavy thick outer leaves until you are left with the really thin greenish yellow leaves; trim about 1/2 inch off of the top of the artichoke; trim the stem and any thick remainder of the bottom leaves that remain on the stem.   Cut the artichokes in half lengthwise.  Remove the hair from the heart of the choke on both halves.  Place into the bowl of lemon water.  Repeat process with the remaining artichokes.

Place the artichokes in a large steamer.  Steam for 3-5 minutes or until fork tender.

Meanwhile, combine the panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese, minced garlic, lemon zest, olive oil, crushed red pepper flakes, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste, together in a bowl.  Mix until well combined.

Remove the artichokes from the steamer and place into the small baking pan cut side up and close together.  Spoon the panko mixture on top of each artichoke half then coat with cooking spray.

Place into the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until tender and golden brown.  Serve immediately!  Enjoy.

Baby Artichokes Stuffed with Panko, Parmesan, and Garlic

Yield: 4

Prep Time: 10 min.

Cook Time: 18-20 min.

Total Time: 28-30 min.

Ingredients:

4 baby artichokes
Juice & zest from 1/2
1/2 cup of Italian seasoned panko crumbs
1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, shredded
2 tsp olive oil
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a small baking dish with cooking spray.

Add a bunch of water to a large bowl then squeeze half the lemon juice into the water. Take each artichoke and peel off the heavy thick outer leaves until you are left with the really thin greenish yellow leaves; trim about 1/2 inch off of the top of the artichoke; trim the stem and any thick remainder of the bottom leaves that remain on the stem. Cut the artichokes in half lengthwise. Remove the hair from the heart of the choke on both halves. Place into the bowl of lemon water. Repeat process with the remaining artichokes.

Place the artichokes in a large steamer. Steam for 3-5 minutes or until fork tender.

Meanwhile, combine the panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese, minced garlic, lemon zest, olive oil, crushed red pepper flakes, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste, together in a bowl. Mix until well combined.

Remove the artichokes from the steamer and place into the small baking pan cut side up and close together. Spoon the panko mixture on top of each artichoke half then coat with cooking spray.

Place into the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until tender and golden brown. Serve immediately! Enjoy.

Adapted recipe by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe by Snails View

29 Responses to “Baby Artichokes Stuffed with Panko, Parmesan, and Garlic”

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — May 23, 2012 @ 10:45 pm

I’m not much of an artichoke person but the boyfriend LOOOVES them so he’ll be so happy when I make this for him.

Kris — May 23, 2012 @ 10:47 pm

Pam, I have 4 beautiful artichokes in the fridge from a co worker of Greg’s who wanted to trade for some avocados. I am making this for SURE!!!!! Thanks for posting this. Also..if you ever find your way to So. California…..please know that my door is open for you!!! Would love to have you come visit me!!!
    XO Kris

Susana — May 24, 2012 @ 1:21 am

Whoa, you are a genius! This looks delicious!!

Blog is the New Black — May 24, 2012 @ 2:33 am

Lloyd would LOVE these!

Larry — May 24, 2012 @ 3:14 am

Thanks for the idea, it looks very good. We’re growing our first ever artichoke plant this year and if it produces anything, I’ll be looking for ways to use them as my only experience is with canned hearts.

Kim in MD — May 24, 2012 @ 4:33 am

I have always been intimidated to make artichokes at home, too. This looks so easy and delicious, Pam!

Jenn's Food Journey — May 24, 2012 @ 5:24 am

Look at that beautiful golden brown filling! I want one now and I don’t even care that it’s only 5:30am!!

Mary — May 24, 2012 @ 6:09 am

Oh these look such a treat – panko parmesan is the way to go!
    Mary x

Peggy Recker — May 24, 2012 @ 6:13 am

Those sound very different! Definitely a recipe to try!

pam — May 24, 2012 @ 6:31 am

They had artichokes at our local Whole Foods on sale, but I wasn’t sure what to do with them. This sounds perfect.

Mikaela Cowles — May 24, 2012 @ 7:12 am

That’s a side worth raving about. Good things put together, well all I can say is, goodness, I want one.

Cathy at Wives with Knives — May 24, 2012 @ 7:53 am

I love artichokes and never have prepared them this way. My mouth is watering just looking at the photo, Pam. We should be getting artichokes in the market soon. Have a great holiday weekend.

Lynda — May 24, 2012 @ 8:12 am

The artichokes look amazing Pam. Love the combination of panko and parm together!

Honey What's Cooking — May 24, 2012 @ 9:06 am

Boy does this look good. Love that your recipes are so simple.
    Hey, I just used Panko Crumbs on my avocado fries cuz it lacked flavor, I’ll try the Italian version next time. I do prefer the panko crumbs texture more than the Italian breadcrumbs so I can see why people use em. :-)

Carmen Rosa — May 24, 2012 @ 9:39 am

Pam, this artichoques looks delicious!!!!
    Regards from Spain

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook — May 24, 2012 @ 10:29 am

Love artichokes, yours look fantastic. Definitely seems do-able for me, too, I’m a little artichoke challenged.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — May 24, 2012 @ 10:50 am

What a great vegetarian recipe, Pam! I’m trying to incorporate more meatless meals into our routine and this would be well received, I think!

Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi) — May 24, 2012 @ 11:17 am

Absolutely gorgeous! I’m going to keep this one handy for the next fresh artichokes I find.

Rhonda — May 24, 2012 @ 1:18 pm

I just got a larger sized microwave steamer, I might have to give this a try. It looks impressive!

Diane — May 24, 2012 @ 1:36 pm

This sounds wonderful. My artichoke plants took a hammering this winter so I suspect I will have to go shopping this year :( Hopefully they will be up and producing again next year. Diane

Andrea@WellnessNotes — May 24, 2012 @ 2:39 pm

For some reason, artichokes intimidate me. But this recipe sounds delicious. I think I’ll be “brave” and by some artichokes! :)

Jennifer — May 24, 2012 @ 4:15 pm

Wow! This looks fantastic! A yummy summery dish!

melissa@IWasBornToCook — May 24, 2012 @ 5:40 pm

Anything artichoke works for me!!

Joanne — May 24, 2012 @ 6:30 pm

My mom use to make her stuffed artichokes like this ALL THE TIME and they were always my favorite way to eat them!

Helene — May 24, 2012 @ 7:01 pm

Looks so good, I don’t cook artichokes but should start.

Words Of Deliciousness — May 24, 2012 @ 7:44 pm

This looks really tasty!

Hazel from Chicken in a Cherry Sauce — May 28, 2012 @ 12:08 pm

I’ve never seen stuffed artichokes before. These sound wonderful with the crunchy topping!

Chris — June 1, 2012 @ 6:32 pm

Yum! I’m not sure I would need a main course, just two of these would stuff me just fine.

Sarah — June 4, 2012 @ 4:02 am

I only ever have artichokes one way: steamed with a vinigarette for dipping. This looks tasty enough for me to break the habit of a lifetime.