Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches with Cole Slaw

I had leftover roasted chicken meat to use up as well as leftover homemade barbecue sauce so I decided to shred the chicken, toss it with the sauce and put it on some hamburger buns.  At the last minute, I decided to whip up some tasty cole slaw to put on the sandwich too.  These sandwiches were AMAZING!  Even my picky kids said they liked them and my husband and I loved them.  I had a leftover sandwich today and it was just as tasty.  This was a quick and delicious dinner and a perfect way to use up my leftovers.

Make the cole slaw (click link for the recipe).  Set aside.

Shred the roasted chicken then toss with the barbecue sauce in a pan over low heat.  Cook for 5 minutes or until the chicken is warm.  Place the meat on a hamburger bun followed by a big scoop of cole slaw; place the top of the hamburger bun on and serve immediately.  Enjoy.

Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches with Cole Slaw

Yield: 6

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:

2 cups of leftover roasted chicken, shredded
1/2 cup of barbecue sauce (more if desired)
Cole slaw (see the link above for recipe)
Hamburger buns

Directions:

Make the cole slaw (click link up above for the recipe), set aside.

Shred the roasted chicken then toss with some of the barbecue sauce in a pan over low heat. Cook for 5 minutes or until the chicken is warm. Place the meat on a hamburger bun followed by a big scoop cole slaw; place the top of the hamburger bun on and serve immediately. Enjoy.

20 Responses to “Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches with Cole Slaw”

jackie @ marin mama cooks — March 12, 2012 @ 9:13 pm

These remind me of the pulled pork sandwiches my hubby makes. He would love this sandwich.

Medeja — March 13, 2012 @ 1:41 am

This is an amazing idea! Something I haven’t seen in any fast food restaurants :)

Martha — March 13, 2012 @ 3:46 am

love the colorful cole slaw. sounds tasty!

Louise — March 13, 2012 @ 5:08 am

Looks delicious Pam. I have lots of leftover Roasted Chicken from last night. I can see these Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches on the menu this week for sure!!! Now, if I could just figure out how to “whip up” some tasty coleslaw. Will check…

Thanks for sharing…

Jenn's Food Journey — March 13, 2012 @ 5:31 am

Mmmmmm…. bbq chicken sandwich…. topped with coleslaw!!! YUM!

Kim in MD — March 13, 2012 @ 5:37 am

I was hoping you were going to post whatever you served with that delicious cole slaw! This BBQ sandwich is perfect, and so easing using store bought rotisserie chicken. Great idea, Pam!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — March 13, 2012 @ 7:22 am

I love pulled bbq chicken sandwiches and yours look perfect, Pam. That slaw is such an awesome addition!

Blond Duck — March 13, 2012 @ 9:18 am

The only thing better than bbq is bbq sandwiches.

Ari — March 13, 2012 @ 1:28 pm

That looks ridiculously awesome. I’m not a fan of hamburger buns, so I’d prob swap that for something else, but I LOVE coleslaw. It’s pretty much good on everything (including hot dogs!)

Maria — March 13, 2012 @ 2:06 pm

Love the cole slaw on there! Great photos too!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — March 13, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

A quick healthy sandwich with homemade slaw is a definite win in my book! Well done, Pam!

vanillasugarblog — March 13, 2012 @ 5:25 pm

hey girl!
    so sorry I’ve been so absent :-(
    I see I’ve missed like A LOT.
    I eat a lot of my sandwiches with cole slaw.
    One of my crazy cravings is to have roast beef with cole slaw and a touch of chutney. It’s really good.

Marjie — March 13, 2012 @ 6:05 pm

What a good, easy meal. But I’ll take my coleslaw on the side; I am very resistant to mixing my food.

Words Of Deliciousness — March 13, 2012 @ 7:15 pm

Yum, looks delicious. This is such a great way to use up leftovers.

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook — March 13, 2012 @ 7:28 pm

Great idea for the leftover chicken. It looks fantastic! Will be on my menu by this weekend.

Angie@Angie's Recipes — March 14, 2012 @ 11:48 am

Burgers can be HEALTHY too! Must make this colourful and crunchy coleslaw!

Joanne — March 14, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

Sounds like one delicious dinner! I need more bbq sauce in my life.

Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen — March 15, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

BBQ is big in my part of North Carolina and in the Carolinas they always ask, “do you want slaw on it?” when you order a BBQ sandwich. Surprised me the first time I was asked, but there’s just something so special about the flavor of BBQ and slaw together between a bun that makes your taste buds happy.
    Sam

Chris — March 16, 2012 @ 4:53 pm

I’m waiting on dinner right now and this is just cruel! That first shot is picture perfect.

Sophie — March 25, 2012 @ 3:49 am

MMMMMMMMM,…What a delightful & appetizing BBQ chicken sandwich! I am so going to make them! Yummy yummy looking!