Vanilla Latte with Cinnamon and Sugar Crust

I realize that this post is just for people who have an espresso maker but I really love my morning latte so I decided to share this recipe with you.  These instructions are the way I make my latte with my Krups espresso maker.  Other espresso makers’ instructions may differ.

I have a latte every morning with cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top of the foam which forms a delicious “crust” and I absolutely LOVE them!   I was recently sent some delicious dark roast coffee called Black Velvet by the people at Peter Asher Coffee and Tea.  I finally finished the last of my old coffee and I was very excited to try out this new dark roast.  It smelled amazing when I opened up the package… rich, smokey, and bold.    The coffee was much stronger than my usual medium roast coffee and I loved it! I am normally not a fan of smokiness in my coffee but I have to say, I really, REALLY loved it!  I added a bit of vanilla extract to my milk to make this coffee an extra special treat.  Make sure to check out the Peter Asher website or Facebook page to learn more about their delicious coffees and teas.

• Pour the milk into a coffee cup; add a drop or two of vanilla extract (optional)
  • Fill your espresso maker filter holder with the ground espresso and pack it firmly in place.
  • Place the filter holder into the machine and lock it in place.
  • Fill the frothing pitcher with water and pour into the machine and replace the lid.
  • Turn the machine to the espresso setting to begin brewing espresso.
  • Once the brewing begins, and the espresso has started dripping into the metal carafe, flip the knob to the steaming setting.
  • Steam the milk, gently moving the coffee mug slightly up an down (to heat the milk through), as well as letting the tip of the steam rise just above the milk to get a nice froth.  Finish the steaming process once you have a nice froth and the milk is hot.
  • Turn knob back to the espresso setting and let the remaining espresso drip into the carafe.
  • Flip back to the steaming setting to release all of the pressure from the steamer.
  • Carefully pour the espresso into the steamed & frothy milk, to taste
  • Mix the cinnamon and sugar together until well combine.
  • Sprinkle the top of the foam with a cinnamon and sugar mixture, to taste – I like to cover all of the foam while my husband likes just a touch.

Drink up and enjoy.

Vanilla Latte with Cinnamon and Sugar Crust

Yield: 1 Latte

Prep Time: 1 minute

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 6 minutes

Ingredients:

3/4 cup of milk
1-2 drops of vanilla extract
Espresso coffee beans, finely ground
1 tbsp white sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Directions:

Pour the milk into a coffee cup; add a drop or two of vanilla extract (optional).

Place the filter holder into the machine and lock it in place.

Turn the machine to the espresso setting to begin brewing espresso.

Once the brewing begins, and the espresso has started dripping into the metal carafe, flip the knob to the steaming setting.

Steam the milk, gently moving the coffee mug slightly up an down (to heat the milk through), as well as letting the tip of the steam rise just above the milk to get a nice froth. Finish the steaming process once you have a nice froth and the milk is hot.

Turn knob back to the espresso setting and let the remaining espresso drip into the carafe.

Carefully pour the espresso into the steamed & frothy milk, to taste.

Mix the sugar and cinnamon together until well combined.

Sprinkle the top of the foam with a cinnamon and sugar mixture, to taste - I like to cover all of the foam while my husband likes just a touch.

28 Responses to “Vanilla Latte with Cinnamon and Sugar Crust”

vanillasugarblog — January 16, 2012 @ 2:14 am

wouldn’t it be nice to push a button and have this magically appear like now? lol

Kim in MD — January 16, 2012 @ 2:59 am

Wow! Ok…I am so bummed that I don’t own an espresso maker! This looks so warming and delicious. I am going to have to put an espresso maker on my kitchen gadget wish list!

• Sheri replied: — February 7th, 2012 @ 11:38 pm

Hey ya know what? Go to Amazon and get an Aeropress and a satin Aerolatte milk frother. I use these and it’s not quite as good as a real espresso maker but its really pretty amazing to say it’s under $50. It does take a little while to make the espresso/cappuccino/latte, maybe 5 min. But its so much better than normal coffee…

Martha — January 16, 2012 @ 3:33 am

aaahhh, perfect for this COLD evening, but no espresso maker here :)

Kris — January 16, 2012 @ 5:12 am

I don’t have one of those machines, but now i want one! I am a coffee lover, and I make a pot of coffee every morning. And often times I make myself a cup of coffee in the afternoon with my Keurig.

Diane — January 16, 2012 @ 5:47 am

We stopped drinking coffee many years ago but this does look good :) Diane

nina — January 16, 2012 @ 7:17 am

I can think of worse ways to wake up than with this mug of delightfulness in my hand. Love the sugar crust!!

Priyanka — January 16, 2012 @ 11:03 am

It would be wonderful to wake up with a cup of this latte…awesome..!!

Blond Duck — January 16, 2012 @ 12:26 pm

We made your rolls last night!!!!!

Jenn's Food Journey — January 16, 2012 @ 12:35 pm

Even thought I don’t have an espresso maker, I can still do the cinnamon sugar crust on a cup of cocoa! YUM!!!

Andrea@WellnessNotes — January 16, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

What a lovely way to start the day!

Carol @There's Always Thyme to Cook — January 16, 2012 @ 5:11 pm

What nice way to start the morning! I need to get out the espresso maker.

alex — January 16, 2012 @ 6:14 pm

I love the idea of that cinnamon and sugar crust! yum. this would be perfect on the snowy day we are having here.

Joanne — January 16, 2012 @ 6:19 pm

My mom has somehow taken custody of my espresso maker…and I think I’m going to have to revoke her privileges. This looks like the perfect way to start the day!

jackie @ marin mama cooks — January 16, 2012 @ 7:08 pm

I love a nice latte in the afternoon or after dinner. We have a latte maker but only pull it out for special occasions (because it’s to much work). I also love a deep, rich & full bodied coffee. Peet’s Major Dickason’s blend is the best!

leslie — January 16, 2012 @ 7:13 pm

Yeah..Iam too cheap o but an espresso maker..But this sure does sound delish!

Cheryl — January 16, 2012 @ 7:30 pm

Wow that looks good, I make Ghetto Lattes with coffee, flavored syrups and whipped cream, but that takes the cake. I love the new look by the way! Hope you guys enjoyed the snow!

gloria — January 16, 2012 @ 7:41 pm

I love vanilla latte and this look georgeous and delicious dear Pam!!

Missy — January 16, 2012 @ 11:27 pm

Hey everyone–we have an espresso maker, but I rarely use it anymore, only when I want an extra special something or other. I have found a super-cheating way to make my daily lattes though, and while I’m not super-picky, I think it’s pretty close. Medaglia D’Oro makes an instant espresso powder–you can find it on the shelf next to the Folgers and other instant coffees. It comes in a 2 oz jar with a green lid. I mix 1 heaping tsp of it w/about a 1/4 cup of boiling water, then heat a scant cup of milk in the microwave for two minutes. I don’t get the nice foam that you would need for THIS tasty looking beverage, but I don’t much like the foam on my Starbucks anyway, so for me that’s just as well :)

Culinary Collage — January 17, 2012 @ 12:19 am

This is great! We own a really nice espresso maker and make cappuccino, but never make lattes. I’ll have to try this. I really love the idea of putting the vanilla in the milk and the cinnamon sugar on top………yum!

t — January 17, 2012 @ 1:17 am

oh wow, that is just gorgeous!

Chung-Ah @ Damn Delicious — January 17, 2012 @ 3:05 am

I need an espresso maker now!

Words Of Deliciousness — January 17, 2012 @ 4:07 am

I don’t drink expresso, but this does look good.

Missy (cooking for two) — January 17, 2012 @ 4:48 am

Lovely! I have never had cinnamon with my vanilla latte!

grace — January 17, 2012 @ 6:52 pm

this is my kind of caffeine vehicle–the sugar crust is a masterful touch!

mandy — January 18, 2012 @ 2:42 am

Oh dear lord this is my kryptonite. Coffee in general but something like this. If I had an espresso maker, I would totally get up the extra few minutes required to make one of these.

Chris — January 21, 2012 @ 6:28 pm

Ahhhhh that’s the secret behind how you get so much done…..hourly espresso! :)

kara — January 27, 2012 @ 1:29 am

During the warmer months I love an afternoon iced coffee, this looks like a way to enjoy an afternoon treat. Have a great day!