I served this side dish with the Lemon and Thyme Chicken Breasts I made for dinner recently.  It was simple to make and paired really nicely with the chicken.  I loved the creamy baby potatoes tossed with the roasted mushrooms (and their juices), the tender onions, and the asparagus.  I topped this side dish with a sprinkling of some really good Parmesan cheese which gave it a lightly salty flavor.  Quick, simple, and delicious – my kind of dish.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Coat a baking dish with cooking spray.

Heat a pot of water over high heat until boiling.  Add the baby potatoes and cook for 7 minutes, or until slightly fork tender.  Remove from the heat and drain water.  Combine the baby potatoes, onion, and mushrooms together with the olive oil, sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and garlic powder to taste.  Toss to coat evenly.

Place into the oven and roast for 20 minutes.  Remove from the oven and add the asparagus spears then place back into the oven to roast for another 10 minutes, or until all the veggies are tender and the asparagus is crisp-tender.  Remove from the oven and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, to taste.  Serve immediately.  Enjoy.

Yield: 4

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:

15-20 baby potatoes
1/2 sweet yellow onion, cut into chunks
10 button mushrooms, quartered
1-2 tsp olive oil
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Garlic powder, to taste
Several stalks of asparagus, wooden ends removed and cut in half
Parmesan cheese, shredded

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a baking dish with cooking spray.

Heat a pot of water over high heat until boiling. Add the baby potatoes and cook for 7 minutes, or until slightly fork tender. Remove from the heat and drain water. Combine the baby potatoes, onion, and mushrooms together with the olive oil, sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Toss to coat evenly.

Place into the oven and roast for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and add the asparagus spears then place back into the oven to roast for another 10 minutes, or until all the veggies are tender and the asparagus is crisp-tender. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, to taste. Serve immediately. Enjoy.

29 Responses to “Roasted Baby Potatoes, Mushrooms, Onions, and Asparagus Topped with Parmesan Cheese”

Diane — January 12, 2012 @ 7:34 am

This looks scrumptious on my ‘to do’ list. Thanks Diane

Giovedì 12 Gennaio 2012 | Mamma Felice — January 12, 2012 @ 7:37 am

[...] verdura, buonissima, semplicissima, dal blog For the Love of Cooking. In inglese, ma con foto più che esplicative. Patate arrosto con funghi e asparagi: da provare [...]

Kim in MD — January 12, 2012 @ 12:18 pm

Wow…I couldn’t wait to find out what you paired with that delicious Lemon Chicken! I love fingerling potatoes, and am always looking for new ways to serve them. I planning on making pasta for dinner tonight, but I am going to scratch that! I am off to the store to purchase everything to make the Lemon Chicken and this side dish! Thanks for sharing your passion for amazing food with us, Pam! :-)

Jenn's Food Journey — January 12, 2012 @ 12:33 pm

Despite the fact that I am not an asparagus fan.. that still looks amazing! Love the mushrooms in this one!!

bellini — January 12, 2012 @ 12:44 pm

These fingerling potatoes are my favourite potato of all time in comfort dishes like this.

Mary — January 12, 2012 @ 1:49 pm

This looks delicious. I love mushrooms and I’ve been craving them lately. I need to pick some up this weekend.

Carol @There's Always Thyme to Cook — January 12, 2012 @ 2:04 pm

Great looking dish! Looks delicious, packed with so many great things. I love mushrooms with potatoes.

Robin Sue — January 12, 2012 @ 2:25 pm

Pam this is my kind of vegetable dish. I love potatoes mixed with veggies! I’ll have to bookmark this one for company!

jackie @ marin mama cooks — January 12, 2012 @ 2:26 pm

Hi Pam! I love this one-bowl side dish. You get your veggie and your potatoes all in one. Easy peasy.
    I just went to a vegan cooking class for fun last night and we made this farro risotto dish with 6 different types of mushrooms. It was amazing, but I was a bit intimidated by some of the strange mushrooms we were using. I typically don’t cook with mushrooms at home much because my kids despise them. Do your kids eat them or pick them off ?

• Pam replied: — January 12th, 2012 @ 8:44 pm

My husband and I love mushrooms! My daughter likes them a little but my son isn’t a fan and picks them out. I still serve them in hopes that he will change his mind. :)

lenia — January 12, 2012 @ 2:43 pm

Absolutely yummy!So fresh and healthy!

The Elegant Eggplant — January 12, 2012 @ 2:47 pm

What a great combo!! Totally my kind of dish as well :)

Alexis @ There She Goes — January 12, 2012 @ 2:51 pm

this looks absolutely phenomenal! one big plate of roasted veggie goodness!

Larry — January 12, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

You sure packed a lot of goodies into one dish and the final topping of parmesan really sets it off for me.

Kris — January 12, 2012 @ 3:50 pm

Yummy deliciousness!!!

Redvirus — January 12, 2012 @ 4:22 pm

Hey its looks delicious. i tried same kind of dish over my place that was also so delicious from here.
    check it out once.

jennifurla — January 12, 2012 @ 5:30 pm

This is really all I need for dinner.

Martha — January 12, 2012 @ 6:33 pm

perfectly delicious! I love the addition of asparagus in there!

Rachel — January 12, 2012 @ 7:58 pm

Wow, this looks amazing! A great side dish to anything!

Marjie — January 12, 2012 @ 8:31 pm

Looks like an excellent side dish!

Blond Duck — January 12, 2012 @ 8:49 pm

I bet this went great with the chicken! I want to try that this weekend!

gloria — January 13, 2012 @ 2:24 am

Look delicious!!

Jeff @ Cheese-Burger.net — January 13, 2012 @ 2:41 am

This is easy to prepare and very delicious! Thanks!

leslie — January 14, 2012 @ 1:14 am

I am quite certain I could made a meal out of this side dish!

Chris — January 15, 2012 @ 12:12 pm

I came >< this close to buying some baby potatoes Thursday, dagnabit.
    I said dagnabit….what am I, a crusty old codger?

Woody — January 17, 2012 @ 11:33 pm

I loved this dish and just had to make it for my family. I switched the onions out for fresh garlic cloves as I am the only one who is a fan of onion, but who doesn’t love garlic and the cloves caramelized nicely in the oven and added a fragrance that had everybody drooling while the waited for dinner. Thanks for the great inspiration.

Holliday — January 26, 2012 @ 10:23 pm

I made something like this last night as a side for dinner, but I wish now that I had seen this post first! The little potatoes and onion would have been perfect! I have extra asparagus left so I may just have to try this out tomorrow night with a basic chicken breast. Yum yum!

Myrna Davis — October 27, 2013 @ 6:26 pm

Why do some recipes say save and others do not. I did have my own list of recipes that I saved and can no longer find them. Please advise

• Pam replied: — October 28th, 2013 @ 9:00 am

Myrna,

My older recipes are from my Blogger site and it has a different format than my new recipes on my current WordPress site. I do have a printable link on the bottom of the old recipes or you can also bookmark them on your computer. I am trying to re-format the old recipes but I have over 1,200 and it takes A LOT of time, I basically have to rewrite the entire recipe. With two young kids – I don’t have the extra time.

Sorry for the inconvenience – thanks for being a loyal reader.