Cherry Chocolate Kiss Cookies

I saw these on The Curvy Carrot and bookmarked them to make for my son’s Boy Scout’s cookie exchange. They were fairly easy to make, smelled amazing while the baked, and my children LOVED them! My daughter told me they are her new favorite cookie. I adapted them a bit by adding vanilla extract instead of almond extract because I was recently sent some amazing vanilla beans and extract from Dave’s Dirty Vanilla. I tried the raw dough to make sure I liked how the cookie tasted and I have to say, I really loved the vanilla flavor with the cherry cookies. I have a feeling these cookies will be a big hit at the cookie exchange.

Cherry Chocolate Kiss Cookies:
Adapted recipe by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe by The Curvy Carrot

• 1 cup of softened unsalted butter
  • 1 cup of powdered sugar
  • 1 tbsp maraschino cherry juice
  • 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2-3 drops of red food dye (optional)
  • 2 1/4 cups of flour
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup of maraschino cherries, chopped up
  • White sugar, to roll the cookies in
  • 36 chocolate kisses

Beat the butter with a mixer until creamy and smooth. Add the powdered sugar, maraschino cherry juice, vanilla extract, and red food dye (if using); beat with a mixer until smooth. Mix the flour and salt together then pour in batches into the dough. Mix with the beater, making sure to wipe the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the cherries and mix well with spoon. Place the dough into the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silpat mat.

Roll the cookie dough into small balls then drop into a bowl of sugar; roll to coat evenly. Place the balls on the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart; press your thumb down in the center of the cookie gently. Repeat.

Place into the oven and bake for 13-14 minutes. Remove them from the oven and immediatelyplace a kiss in the center of each cookie. Let them set up on the baking sheet for 3-5 minutes before moving them to a wire rack to cool.

9 Responses to “Cherry Chocolate Kiss Cookies”

Resh — January 11, 2012 @ 4:13 am

wow…awesome….do link it to my ongoing event ‘Chocolate Lover’ at :

Jen S — February 6, 2012 @ 7:57 pm

I posted these on Allrecipes.com years ago – not exactly the same, but very close. They are awesome with Hershey hugs too.

Jen - Jen's Favorite Cookies — February 14, 2012 @ 3:40 am

Marascino cherries are definitely not my favorite thing in the world… But these look mighty tasty. I bet my family would be thrilled if I made them! Thanks for the idea!

Ashley T — February 29, 2012 @ 4:12 pm

Made these the other day and they turned out simply amazing. I ended up using almond extract instead of vanilla, increased the chopped cherries to 3/4c, and used hershy’s hugs since they are my favorite. My entire family loved them too. Will definitely be adding this cookie recipie to my “favorites” box! Thanks! :)

Mitzi — December 1, 2012 @ 4:00 pm

I’m glad to see you had success with these using vanilla extract instead of almond. I saw this recipe on the Curvy Carrot as well but was hesitating because of the almond extract, since I have to avoid nut ingredients. I’m looking forward to baking them.

Roberto — January 19, 2013 @ 7:57 pm

I don’t have a silpat matt… used parchment paper instead. Not sure it makes a difference but my cookies did not keep their form. They spread out to normal cookie shape. Any ideas on what might have gone wrong? Did I need to chill the dough longer or… ?

• Pam replied: — January 21st, 2013 @ 8:17 am

Roberto,

The only thing I can think of is that you needed to chill the dough longer. I am sorry they didn’t keep their form! I hope they still tasted good.

Valentines Day Dessert Round-Up | My Best Cookbook — February 13, 2013 @ 7:09 am

[...]   Cherry Chocolate Kiss Cookies [...]

The Café Sucré Farine — February 13, 2013 @ 6:32 pm

So pretty and so enticing!