Shredded Beef Soft Tacos

I have to say, I think I have finally perfected my shredded beef. This batch turned out so good that I could have eaten the beef straight from my Dutch oven. It was tender, juicy, and so full of flavor. These soft tacos were so amazing that we ate them two days in a row for dinner – we all LOVED them. If you like shredded beef, I highly recommend you try this recipe (that means you Dawn).

Shredded Beef Soft Tacos:

Shredded Beef:

• 1-2 tsp olive oil
  • 2 lb lean chuck roast (trim most of the outside fat off)
  • Cumin, to taste
  • Chili powder, to taste
  • Paprika, to taste
  • Oregano, to taste
  • Coriander, to taste
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • 2 cups of beef broth (plus more if needed)
  • 1 7 oz can of whole green chiles
  • 1 jalapeño, seeded, de-veined, and chopped
  • 6 cloves of garlic, minced

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Trim the outside fat off of the chuck roast. Season the chuck roast evenly with cumin, chili powder, paprika, oregano, coriander, sea salt, and freshly cracked pepper on both sides of the roast. Place them beef in the hot Dutch oven for 2-3 minutes on each side to sear the meat. Add the beef broth, whole green chiles, jalapeno, cilantro, and minced garlic. Place the lid on the Dutch oven and place into the oven for 2-3 hours making sure to check each hour to make sure you don’t need to add more broth. The beef is done when the meat is tender and shreds easily with a fork. Carefully, remove any fat that you see in the beef then shred the beef using a fork.

Other Ingredients:

• Small flour tortillas
  • Refried beans, warmed
  • Lettuce, shredded
  • Extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
  • Grape tomatoes, halved
  • Green onions
  • Cilantro
  • Roasted tomato salsa
  • Guacamole

Heat the refried beans. Place the tortillas in a damp cloth and microwave for 20 seconds to warm up. Spread a bit of refried beans down the center of the tortilla then add some shredded beef followed by lettuce, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro. Serve with salsa and guacamole. Enjoy!

16 Responses to “Shredded Beef Soft Tacos”

Molly — August 26, 2011 @ 5:35 pm

I made these last night and they were delicious! Thanks for another great recipe!

Brittany — March 29, 2012 @ 7:25 pm

sounds amazing! anyway you can make this in a crockpot??

Meal Idea Monday: Shredded Beef Soft Tacos « Food Tidings Blog — April 23, 2012 @ 9:31 am

[...] I have a great meal idea for you from For The Love of Cooking (LOVE this recipe site!) It’s Shredded Beef Soft Tacos, and this would be a simple, delicious, and easy to transport meal to bring someone this week. You [...]

Mini Shredded Beef Taco Salads in Crispy Corn Tortilla Cups | Saltlicker — June 3, 2012 @ 5:26 am

[...] created in order to clean out my refrigerator.  I had a ton of taco fixings leftover  from our Shredded Beef Soft Taco dinner so I decided to bake mini crispy corn tortilla cups and make little taco salads out of them. [...]

Shredding beef | Info007cleanin — August 30, 2012 @ 11:40 am

[...] For the Love of Cooking » Shredded Beef Soft TacosJun 7, 2011 … I have to say, I think I have finally perfected my shredded beef. This batch turned out so good that I could have eaten the beef straight from my … [...]

Haylee — September 28, 2012 @ 7:15 am

Can you by chance tell me an approximate on the pice? 1/4t maybe?

thank you!

Pam — September 28, 2012 @ 7:27 am

Depending on the size of the roast it could be either 1/2 tsp or 1 tsp. I basically just sprinkle it evenly over both sides of the roast. I hope this helps and that you love it as much as my family does.

Haylee — September 29, 2012 @ 6:53 pm

Thanks Pam for the quick response. This is on my menu for Tues. Can’t wait!

Haylee — October 10, 2012 @ 1:01 pm

Made last week and it was very yummy and I even forgot to put the garlic in…remembered when it had about 45 minutes left so I threw it in but I’m sure it’ll be even yummier if I leave it in there the whole time. And I used 2/3 tsp of all the spices and could possibly do 3/4 tsp next time. Thanks for the great recipe. You are 2 for 2 that I’ve tried! I have the lemon thyme chicken on the menu for next week!

Shredded Beef Chile Relleno Casserole | My Best Cookbook — December 2, 2012 @ 9:51 pm

[...] had leftover shredded beef from my favorite taco recipe and extra taco fixings in the refrigerator to use up. Instead of [...]

Lea — December 7, 2012 @ 3:11 pm

OMG. Made these tonight and they are SO GOOD. My 4 year old daughter declared them BEST TACOS EVER.

Elaine Tsai — December 11, 2012 @ 6:08 pm

Another fantastic recipe. I get the daily recipes on my iPhone and I use that as my list when I go to the grocery store. I was going to make the rellenos with the leftover meat but my husband ate it all. He said the meat was better than a steak.

Rebecca — December 23, 2012 @ 7:11 pm

How many people does this feed? It looks delicious!

• Pam replied: — January 6th, 2013 @ 6:41 am

It served about 8 people. I hope this helps.

Shredded Beef, Caramelized Onion, and Cotija Cheese Baked Flautas | My Best Cookbook — March 10, 2013 @ 9:25 pm

[...] had friends over for dinner and I made my Shredded Beef Soft Tacos because my friend Kyle loves my shredded beef. We had leftover meat so the following day I made [...]

Kathy — August 31, 2013 @ 11:06 am

I have the pickiest family of 3 guys and after a trip to Phoenix we had to have shredded beef taco’s not made with hamburger like usual. This recipe is the best I have found on web and I am making it again today. Can’t wait to eat tonight and there will be no leftovers we eat it all!!!!!!