Margherita Pizza

We had a presentation at my kids’ school for my daughter’s second grade class so I needed to make a quick dinner that we could gobble up and run out the door. I used store bought dough and sauce because it was quick and easy, I threw on some sliced tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and seasoned it with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. I topped the baked pizza with fresh basil. It was absolutely delicious and the entire family enjoyed it. If you need a fast and simple meal… this recipe is for you.

Margherita Pizza:

• Cooking spray
  • Corn meal
  • Pizza dough
  • Pizza sauce
  • Mozzarella cheese, sliced
  • Tomatoes, sliced
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • Fresh basil

Remove the dough from the bag onto a floured surface. Let sit for 20 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spread dough on a pizza sheet that has been coated with cooking spray and a sprinkle of corn meal. Spoon the sauce on the dough and spread evenly. Top the sauce with slices of mozzarella and tomato slices then season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste.

Place into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and the crust is golden brown. Add the fresh basil then slice. Enjoy.

21 Responses to “Margherita Pizza”

Georgia (The Comfort of Cooking) — February 14, 2011 @ 5:32 am

Gorgeous pizza, Pam! I made one very similar last week. With pizza, it always seems like the simpler the toppings, the more delicious it is! This looks just divine.

Mrs. Indecisive — February 14, 2011 @ 5:35 am

Oh yum!!!!! I had this for the first time in Italy and haven't looked back!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente — February 14, 2011 @ 7:00 am

I made a pizza last weekend, the first in ages and I remebered then just how good they are. Mmmmm Diane

Jess — February 14, 2011 @ 8:06 am

Those pictures made me hungry now! looks so yum!

Hovkonditorn — February 14, 2011 @ 11:47 am

Margherita Pizza is my favorite! This looks very yummy! Pesto is also very good with margherita pizza. Have a nice day!

Carol — February 14, 2011 @ 12:24 pm

Looks delicious, lucky kids, homemade pizza at school!
    Now I have a craving for pizza!

Anonymous — February 14, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

YUM! I haven't had breakfast yet, and I am already craving this for dinner! Maybe tomorrow…tonight is a romantic Valentine's Day meal for my family!

Kim in MD

Pork Chop Pete — February 14, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

I'd love to see more pizza restaurants have varieties like these. Great job and thanks!

Amy — February 14, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

I'm making H<3ART shaped pizzas tonight!!! One meaty one for my valentine and one margherita pizza for me and my little valentine!

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!

Jenn — February 14, 2011 @ 1:18 pm

That pizza looks gorgeous, Pam!! I bet it tasted even better then it looks!!!

Cathy — February 14, 2011 @ 1:20 pm

We love homemade pizza and it's so quick and easy with store bought dough and sauce. Cooked to perfection, Pam.

bellini valli — February 14, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

I think this is my all time favourite way with a pizza.

Mandy — February 14, 2011 @ 1:48 pm

I just made some pizza dough yesterday for a quick dinner later this week. This is one of my favorite ways to make pizza.

Andrea@WellnessNotes — February 14, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

This is one of my favorite pizzas! What a wonderful meal for a busy night!

Happy Valentine's Day! :)

Kimmie — February 14, 2011 @ 3:17 pm

I am starving now! This makes me miss Italy.

The Duo Dishes — February 14, 2011 @ 4:47 pm

A simple pizza can be all you need to satisfy the craving. Yum.

Rachel — February 14, 2011 @ 4:55 pm

We're having a small family b-day party for my kids this year and since it's such a manageable-sized group, I was thinking about having everyone make their own pizza! I was going to have a TON of different toppings and a sheet with different suggestions…would love to add this to my list!

By the way, I have an award waiting for you on my blog!

Sonia — February 14, 2011 @ 5:14 pm

awesome pizza and topping …! I have never tried it with cornmeal, what a great idea, wud give it a shot soon.

Meaghan Luby — February 14, 2011 @ 5:25 pm

you made the simple pizza look spectacular, truly. yummm- thank you so much for sharing! HAPPY VALENTINES <3
    -meg
    @ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com
    @ http://www.myscribblednotebook.blogspot.com

biscuit recipe — March 14, 2011 @ 6:53 pm

Oh my that looks good. I love tomatoes cooked onto a pizza, and I don't understand why more upscale restaurants don't do this. I understand that tomatoes are not a cheap item for your every day pizza joint, but at nicer restaurants they should really include them.

This recipe looks delicious and I'm going to make it tonight – thanks for the recipe!

filipino girl — August 4, 2012 @ 1:42 pm

WOW! This looks really good. I was searching for Pizza Recipes, I am planning to make a fantastic Home-Made Pizza for an upcoming Filipino singles party for all my filipinos here in Great Falls. As a filipino woman who just moved in America, I really dont have a lot of experience making some good pizza. In the Philippines, we have different type of Food. When I cam here everytime I attend a party, there’s always like chips, mexican food, and of course the Pizza. I think Pizza is great to have for parties. So, Really glad to find some good recipes and try. Experimenting and trying new recipe is fun to do, and everyday practice makes a perfect pizza! :)