Hungarian Mushroom Soup

We had a very cold and rainy day recently so I was in the mood to make soup. I found this recipe in the Moosewood Cookbook and it sounded very interesting. I wasn’t sure if I would like paprika, dill, and mushrooms together in a soup but I was willing to give it a try. I am so glad I did because I absolutely LOVED it. I enjoyed the flavor and texture of this soup and the dill and paprika really made the flavors shine. My children didn’t care for it but my husband loved it as much as I did and he said the leftovers were even more flavorful the next day. I highly recommend trying this soup.

Hungarian Mushroom Soup:
Adapted recipe by For the Love of Cooking
Original recipe by Moosewood Cookbook

• 2 tsp olive oil
  • 2 cups sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
  • 8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 tsp dill weed
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • 1 cup of 2% milk
  • 2 cups of vegetable or chicken stock (divided)
  • 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • Parsley for garnish

Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions then cook for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, dill, paprika, soy sauce, and 1/2 cup of stock, stir until well combined then cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the mushroom mixture and liquid from the Dutch oven to a bowl, set aside.

Heat the butter in the Dutch oven, add the flour once the butter has melted then whisk until creamy for a few minutes. Slowly add the milk while whisking until well combined. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5-7 minutes, or until thick. Add the mushroom mixture and juices along with the remaining stock to the flour mixture; stir until well combined. Cover with a lid and simmer for 10-15 minutes.

Just before serving, add the lemon juice, sour cream, and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Serve garnished with parsley. Enjoy!

17 Responses to “Hungarian Mushroom Soup”

Val — February 8, 2011 @ 5:46 pm

Oh my gosh! This looks incredible!

goodcookbecky — February 9, 2011 @ 5:52 pm

that looks fantastic. I love mushrooms! And love European flavors. Takes me home to my childhood. Keep up the good work. Also love your post on Roasted Garlic Bread

Good Pediatrician in Chennai — February 10, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

I love mushroom soup! It is seriously one of my favorites. Thank you so much for posting this, it is bookmarked!

Hovkonditorn — February 10, 2011 @ 12:38 pm

Hi,
    I just found your blog and it is fantastic, nice recipes and pictures. I will definately be back :)
    -Katarina

All Things Yummy — February 11, 2011 @ 12:57 am

I made this soup for dinner. It was delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Chris — February 11, 2011 @ 4:09 am

A bowl of soup this gorgeous makes me wish I was a hunk of bread so someone would dunk me into the bowl! Love the rich color the paprika brings.

Dianabol — February 11, 2011 @ 11:58 am

Lovely, those colors, I can almost taste it through the computer.

Katie — September 19, 2011 @ 4:45 am

I made this soup tonight for dinner, but since I'm not a huge soup fan, I put this over jasmine rice. It was fantastic and very comforting!

Hannah — February 20, 2012 @ 7:12 am

This is a wonderful soup-hearty and full of flavor. I’ve made it four times this winter! Thank you for posting. Love your blog

Nichelle — March 5, 2012 @ 8:02 pm

This looks so good! Quick question, since it’s a “Hungarian” soup, do you use Hungarian paprika?

Claire — May 24, 2012 @ 12:49 pm

Can’t wait to try this, looks incredible, great ingredients!

Jane Lewis — June 9, 2012 @ 2:42 pm

Amazing. Rich &my husband loved it!

Peter UK — January 13, 2013 @ 11:47 am

This is the second time I’ve used this recipe and as my wife is dairy and wheat intolerant I substituted lacofree milk and used brown rice flour to thicken. It turned out amazingly well. Thanks for sharing.

Christeen — January 23, 2013 @ 11:37 pm

If this soup sounds like something you want to make, I’d encourage you to make the effort to find some ‘Hungarian sweet paprika’. It has a slightly more orange color, a pronounced aroma, and a marvelous depth of flavor that common paprika (aka Spanish paprika) really can’t compete with. You can find it online, or in European grocers.
    I can’t wait to make this soup, it’s right up my alley. Thanks for sharing it; I’m glad I found your blog!

Gay Specht — January 24, 2013 @ 3:36 pm

I am part Hungarian and this soup I could eat every day.
    The best ever.

Eleanor — February 8, 2013 @ 10:08 am

Easy to make and delicious. I have found so many great recipes on this site. Thanks.

Marie — January 28, 2014 @ 5:03 pm

Wow, my kids are loving it! My 4 yr old just asked me to save some for another day. I feel like a winner tonight. Thanks!