Lemony Chicken Saltimbocca

I am really excited with this month’s Cooking Light because I have found several recipes I want to make, starting with this one. This recipe was perfect to try with my new olive oil I received from Olivari. It’s a light and flavorful olive oil that is great to use with cooking or with finishing and flavoring dishes. I especially loved the pop-up spout in the cap. This recipe was quick and simple to make but tasted gourmet and delicious. I loved the look and taste the sage and prosciutto added to the chicken breasts and the lemony sauce was amazing. This chicken was a big hit with all of us, especially my husband, who really loved it!

Lemony Chicken Saltimbocca:
Adapted recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe Cooking Light ~ Jan/Feb 2011
  • 3 boneless and skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • 9 fresh sage leaves
  • 6 slices of prosciutto
  • 3 tsp olive oil (divided)
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp cornstarch
  • Fresh parsley, chopped
  • Lemon wedges (optional)

Place the chicken breasts between two pieces of wax paper. Flatten the chicken to 1/2 inch thick with a mallet. Season both sides of the flattened chicken then place three sage leaves on each breast. Wrap two pieces of prosciutto on each chicken breast.

Heat 3 teaspoons of olive a skillet over medium high heat. Once the pan and oil are hot, add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes until golden brown; flip the chicken over and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until the chicken is done. Let the meat sit aside on a platter to rest.
Combine the chicken broth, lemon juice, and cornstarch together in a small bowl and whisk until well combined. Place the skillet over medium high heat then add the lemon juice mixture to the pan and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 minute or until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
Drizzle the sauce over each chicken breast. Serve immediately. Enjoy.

20 Responses to “Lemony Chicken Saltimbocca”

Stacey Snacks — January 5, 2011 @ 9:37 pm

I love a good saltimbocca (means "jump in your mouth"). Yours looks authentic and delicious.
    I posted your potato crust pie today.
    Happy New Year!
    Stacey

Brandon — January 5, 2011 @ 10:32 pm

This looks delicious and simple! I made your Southwestern Goulash this week, and it was incredible! I'll be making this one too!

Maria — January 6, 2011 @ 12:17 am

I love the presentation of this chicken dish. Very nice!

goodcookbecky — January 6, 2011 @ 4:39 pm

Welcome back Pam! This one looks amazing! I'll have to try it sometime!

Anonymous — January 7, 2011 @ 4:28 am

I find the fact that you wrapped kosher chicken in prosciutto endlessly amusing.

grace — January 7, 2011 @ 10:32 am

what a classy dish! and i must say, i don't find the dish endlessly amusing, but rather endlessly appetizing! :)

George — January 7, 2011 @ 5:10 pm

This looks interesting. I think it would be great for a change of pace.

Chris — January 8, 2011 @ 2:29 am

I see you came back with your cooking mojo rejuvenated and ready to fire into 2011. Excellent post.

Does the prosciutto stay wrapped easily during the saute or do you have to nail/glue/toothpick them to the chicken?

• Natalia I. replied: — June 29th, 2012 @ 9:05 pm

it does stay wrapped all the time, even when you flip it

The Hungry Crafter — January 8, 2011 @ 7:12 pm

Can't wait to try this! I am a huge fan of saltimbocca (I actually recently did a blog post where I admitted that I've never made it the same way twice!) — can't wait to try this rendition next (am a huge fan of lemon as well…yum…)

Anonymous — January 9, 2011 @ 2:12 am

Just had this for dinner and it was delicious. A keeper for sure. Thanks!

Cheryl — January 12, 2011 @ 12:41 am

I was just looking thru my cooking light magazine and thought "where have I seen this before", LOL, right there!

christina — January 23, 2012 @ 9:47 pm

is there a alternative meat to use instead of the prosciutto?

Gluten Free Menu Plan - Week of January 30 | Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom — January 30, 2012 @ 4:01 am

[...] Chicken Saltimbocca, Sauteed Broccolini and Dairy-Free Roasted Garlic Mashed [...]

April — February 8, 2012 @ 6:32 pm

I made this for my family last night, substitute cilantro for parsley (what I had on hand) and stuffed the chicken with Mozzarella Rice cheese (We are GFCF for autism) and the entire family loved it. As well as a few co-worker who love leftovers :) Thank you for your wonderful website and recipes.

infokorners — March 26, 2012 @ 2:54 am

wow yummmy chicken….:)

Zesty Chicken for Spring « Beaumont Parenting Program — March 26, 2012 @ 5:11 am

[...] sauce. It has clean simple flavors — fitting for this spring weather. I found this recipe on For Love of Cooking Blog, adapted from Cooking Light (Jan/Feb 2011). Lemon Chicken Saltimbocca [...]

Natalia I — June 28, 2012 @ 9:06 pm

Let me start by letting you know that I love your website, I have tried many of your recipes and they have been amazing. But with this recipe the sauce didn’t come up as I expected. I ended up serving the chicken without the sauce, it still came out really good.

Fashions,Beauty and Lifestyles — September 9, 2012 @ 2:39 am

i am feeling some hunger here because of your delicious recipes ans its pictures.

Lisa — October 3, 2013 @ 7:41 pm

My family loved this recipe. My super finicky 16 year old gave a big thumbs up and my husband said it is one of the best dishes I have ever made. Easy and very yummy. I will be making again for sure!