Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls

Since it has been cold and rainy here in Oregon, I decided to make a big pot of Beef Stew. Instead of buying rolls to serve with the stew, I decided to make my Mom’s Dinner Rolls but this time I added whole wheat flour to make them a bit healthier. They were fun and simple to make and tasted wonderful!

Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls:
Adapted recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe by my Mom

• 1 cup of water
  • 2 tbsp of butter, melted; plus more for brushing on top of rolls
  • 1 egg (hold under warm water before breaking it)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup of sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 tsp regular active dry yeast

Place all dough ingredients in the bread machine in the order listed. Select the dough cycleand press start. Once the bread machine stops (it was one and a half hours on my machine). Grease a 9×13 glass baking dish. Divide dough into 15 pieces and shape each piece into a ball. Place 2 inches apart in the baking dish. Brush with melted butter then cover with a clean dish cloth (don’t use plastic wrap).

Let rise in a warm place 30 to 4o minutes or until doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy.

8 Responses to “Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls”

Cindy — December 3, 2010 @ 5:23 am

These look delicious!

Teresa — April 25, 2012 @ 8:43 am

Is there any way I can make these without using a bread machine?

• Pam replied: — April 25th, 2012 @ 9:28 am

Teresa,

Yes! I would Google how to make bread without using a bread machine. I am sorry I can’t help with those instructions because I cheat and always use my bread machine. I hope you love the rolls as much as we do.

SaBrina — June 6, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

They look delicious! I just made some I only made 9 for rolls. I was wondering? Why a glass dish? Could I use a baking sheet? My next batch I will cook on a sheet and see if there is a difference. Thanks for sharing all of your wonderful dishes. 6/2012

• Pam replied: — June 6th, 2012 @ 2:52 pm

I use a glass dish because the sides help make the rolls grow up instead of out when they rise. I hope this helps.

Cathy — July 23, 2012 @ 9:55 pm

I made these today and they are delicious! I used them to make sloppy joe sliders and they make a fantastic pair…thanks : )

Jennifer — September 23, 2012 @ 12:08 am

I just came across your website and the recipes and the pictures look very good! I noticed that your recipe calls for flours that are not bread flours for the bread machine. Is there any difference and do I need to cut back on any of the ingredients – yeast for example if I substitute with bread flours. Thanks
    Jennifer

• Pam replied: — September 23rd, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Jennifer,

I have never used bread flour so I am not sure if you need to cut back on any other ingredients. I am sorry I am not any help.

Thanks,