Cilantro and Lime Crab Salad in Avocado Halves

I picked up a tub of lump crab meat recently so I decided use some of it to make a quick and delicious salad to put into avocado halves. I found a recipe on Epicurious that looked simple and delicious. I tossed the crab with a bit of lime, cilantro, light mayonnaise, and red onion. The crab salad tasted so good with the creamy avocado. My husband and I both enjoyed this dish and I look forward to making it again.

Cilantro and Lime Crab Salad in Avocado Halves:
Adapted recipe by For the Love of Cooking
Original recipe on Epicurious

• 1/2 cup lump crab meat
  • 1/2 tbsp light mayonnaise
  • 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 2 tsp red onion, diced finely
  • 1-2 tsp jalapeño, diced finely
  • 1 tsp lime zest
  • Juice from 1/2 a lime
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • Dash of cumin
  • 1 avocado, cut in half, pit removed

Combine the lump crab meat, mayonnaise, cilantro, red onion, jalapeño, lime zest, lime juice, sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and cumin together. Spoon the crab mixture into each avocado half and serve immediately. Enjoy.

31 Responses to “Cilantro and Lime Crab Salad in Avocado Halves”

Cooking Lady — February 13, 2012 @ 10:38 pm

All my favorite flavors together. I have to try this. Thanks for sharing.

Renee — February 21, 2012 @ 2:49 pm

This looks great, I am going to try it this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

a quick, healthy, and filling lunch | Whole Wheat or Bust! — February 26, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

[...] from for the love of cooking [...]

Lazette — March 1, 2012 @ 9:47 am

I made this today & it was sooo good! Thank you :)

Cilantro and Lime Crab Salad in Avocado Halves | Fitness Emu — March 19, 2012 @ 2:10 am

[...] on Cilantro and Lime Crab Salad in Avocado Halves to be taken to For the Love of Cooking for the recipe. Share this: This entry was posted in [...]

Ryan — March 23, 2012 @ 10:36 pm

What a great recipe! I love working with avocados as they bring such great taste and richness to the party. I have your fantastic recipe pinned on Pinterest, and I even featured it on my blog at http://fitnessemu.com/cilantro-and-lime-crab-salad-in-avocado-halves/.

thefashionistachic — April 10, 2012 @ 12:58 pm

Omg saw this on Pinterest, have to make it. Yummy!!

Daryl — April 11, 2012 @ 12:05 pm

This reminds me of my version of a Mobile Alabama favorite called West Indies Salad. They do it there with a marinade of white vinegar, diced white onion and vegetable oil, overnight (use jumbo lump and mix very gently) and served over crackers – but I improved on it. Lime juice, light olive oil, diced red onion – and capers. To die for. Now I’ll have to experiment with cilantro. Sounds good to me. Doubt I’ll need the mayo, but what the heck. The experiment is on!

Mid-week goodies « The Fit Journey — April 11, 2012 @ 2:37 pm

[...] Cilantro and Lime Crab Salad in Avocado Halves  [...]

Sarah — April 13, 2012 @ 4:29 am

Anyone try this with imitation crab or chicken? I am allergic to shellfish, but this sounds so yummy!!

Sarah Bentley — May 4, 2012 @ 10:58 am

Wow. I can attests that this freshly made Cilantro and Lime Crab Salads in Avocado halves were very tasty. I have received an appreciation after I served them last weekend during the visit of our grandparents. Moreover, my folks really loved the taste and they liked my stylish way serving them. I add a little drama to my presentation. I hooked some small Bamboo Loop Picks in avocado sides.

Cilantro Lime Crab Salad in Avocado « Les petits pois — May 7, 2012 @ 9:15 pm

[...] Fortheloveofcooking Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. from → Uncategorized ← Pan [...]

karin — May 21, 2012 @ 10:20 am

hi,
    Just wondering how you liked the chicken of the sea crab meat…. I shop at BJ’s and they have stopped selling Phillips crab meat and replaced it with Chicken of the sea. Looks wonderful in your pics. Thanks!

• Pam replied: — May 21st, 2012 @ 12:50 pm

Karin,

I have bought it 2 or 3 times from Costco and have loved it every time. I hope this helps.

• karin replied: — May 22nd, 2012 @ 5:36 am

Thanks,
        I’m off to BJ’s to pick up the crab to make this! Thanks for post. It will be perfect for a Memorial Day cookout! Happy Summer!!

Norma Walker — June 12, 2012 @ 7:40 pm

Can’t wait to try this.

Cilantro & Lime Crab Salad - Feast On It! — June 19, 2012 @ 3:00 am

[...] (recipe from for the love of cooking)  [...]

Good Food Good Friends — June 19, 2012 @ 6:17 pm

This looks so good! I could make an enitre meal out it!

Matt Saxe — June 21, 2012 @ 2:11 pm

Where did you find the “tub” of lump crab meat?!? I love crab, I’ve only been able to find 2 oz cans…

• Pam replied: — June 21st, 2012 @ 6:34 pm

Matt,

I pick it up at Costco. It’s delicious. I hope this helps.

Munchy Monday: Fun with Avocados | Baby Steps Online, childbirth classes for everyone — July 2, 2012 @ 6:11 am

[...] in an avocado half instead of on bread.  We stumbled across this recipe on Pinterest recently: Cilantro & Lime Crab Salad in Avocado Halves.  You can also click on the picture to access the recipe.  Share your favorite way to eat [...]

E McConnell — July 15, 2012 @ 4:18 pm

This was a failure for me. Same can of crab, and by the time I tossed all the ingredients it was the consistency of tuna salad!

Any suggestions?

• Pam replied: — July 16th, 2012 @ 9:12 am

Maybe try adding the crab at the very end (after you have mixed everything else) then just gently mix until evenly combined. I hope it works better for you next time!

Belinda — July 23, 2012 @ 5:57 am

I tried this Saturday and again Sunday. It was so easy & good, but chose to leave out the jalapeño. Thanks for sharing.

Abigail Joy — September 15, 2012 @ 9:16 am

I love this recipe! I used a drop of lime essential oil (safe for internal use from Young Living) instead of an actual lime and the flavor was awesome! :)

Michelle — September 23, 2012 @ 5:31 pm

This was SOOO good! I had to change it up a bit as my avocado was half bad. I dug out what I could, added it to the mix, added fresh chopped tomato, some chopped bell pepper, and some Feta cheese. I put it all on top of a corn tortilla and was in heaven! Thanks for sharing!!

Lunch for Mom — October 1, 2012 @ 5:01 am

[...] put just about any veggie or salad on top and have a delicious healthful meal.  This recipe has a Cilantro and Lime Crab salad on [...]

rosita vargas — January 23, 2013 @ 9:42 am

Me encanta el aguacate es una ensalada muy saludable,aquí la llamamos Palta Reina le agregamos mayonesa,abrazos hugs,hug.

rosita vargas — February 22, 2013 @ 5:34 pm

Linda receta con relleno aquí lo rellenamos con de pollo,mayonesa y cilantro y le llamamos Palta Reina,hugs,hugs.

Renee — April 30, 2013 @ 12:38 pm

Is this a single serving receipe or is it supposed to be for 2?

• Pam replied: — April 30th, 2013 @ 1:27 pm

Renee,

My husband and I shared this.