Corned Beef, Sautéed Cabbage and Onions, and Roasted Potatoes and Carrots

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

I’ve never made corned beef before and I was excited to try it out this year. I thought about baking it or roasting it but I decided to go the traditional route and boil it. I have to say, boiling meat seemed a bit strange to me but I was pleasantly surprised when I ate it because it turned out tender, juicy and delicious. I served the corned beef with cabbage, potatoes and carrots. I sautéed the onions and cabbage with olive oil and minced garlic for a simple but flavorful side dish – much better than soggy cabbage. Instead of boiling the carrots and potatoes, I decided to roast them with simple seasonings and olive oil, they turned out perfect. This was a delicious meal that we all enjoyed, my kids especially loved the corned beef. I served the meat with whole grain mustard and sweet and spicy mustard – both were terrific dipping sauces.

Corned Beef, Sautéed Cabbage and Onions, and Roasted Carrots and Baby Fingerling Potatoes:

• 2 lb corned beef with seasonings
  • 2 cups of shredded green cabbage
  • 1/2 sweet yellow onions, diced
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • Pinch of crushed red pepper
  • 5-6 carrots, peeled and cut in half
  • 10-15 baby fingerling potatoes
  • 1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped

Corned Beef:

Place the pre-seasoned corned beef into a Dutch oven, fat side up, and cover with water. Simmer for 1 hour per pound or until a meat thermometer reads 180 degrees.

Remove corned beef from water and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing into thin slices.

Roasted Carrots and Baby Fingerling Potatoes:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with tinfoil (for easier cleanup) and spray with olive oil cooking spray. Add the carrots and potatoes to the baking sheet and drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil onto veggies then season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, toss to coat evenly. Place into the oven and roast for 25-35 minutes, until carrots and potatoes are fork tender. Remove from the oven.

Sautéed Cabbage and Onions:

Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes then add the shredded cabbage and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. Cook, stirring often, until tender, about 3-4 minutes; add the minced garlic and stir constantly for 1 minute. Serve immediately.

Fill each plate with slices of corned beef, roasted potatoes, carrots and sautéed cabbage. Top the potatoes and carrots with chopped parsley. Serve the corned beef with whole grain mustard or sweet and spicy mustard for dipping. Enjoy.

40 Responses to “Corned Beef, Sautéed Cabbage and Onions, and Roasted Potatoes and Carrots”

Mila — March 17, 2010 @ 3:01 am

I gotta be honest, I'm not a fan of corned beef…but the veggies look fantastic! And your incredible pictures can make anything look delish!

Nina Timm — March 17, 2010 @ 3:04 am

Brisket is one of my favorite cuts…corned beef and homemade mustard…..divine!!!

~T~ — March 17, 2010 @ 3:05 am

Thinly sliced corned beef is wonderful on dark rye bread. Good idea for grocery shopping day!

Megan — March 17, 2010 @ 3:11 am

I'll be making this tomorrow! Your roasted potatoes and carrots look delicious! I think I'll still boil mine for simplicity's sake, but that's a great idea. For your leftovers… nothing beats homemade corned beef hash! That's kind of the whole reason I make the meal.

Kris — March 17, 2010 @ 3:26 am

I love corned beef. I think I will wait and do ours this weekend. We are going up to the mountains for 4 days because we have to be out of our home for fumigation. UGH!!! My mother in law always mixed a good spicey mustard with some sour cream and a wee bit of horseradish for a lovely sauce to spread on good rye bread for sandwiches the next day with our corned beef!!!
    Yours looks

Chris — March 17, 2010 @ 3:41 am

Great looking St Patty's Day spread!

All of this corned beef talk going on has me ready to do one thing. Make a corned beef and then smoke it for pastrami. I'm a southern boy but learned last year that homemade pastrami is ridiculously great.

Jenn — March 17, 2010 @ 4:15 am

Happy St. Paddy's Day!! Perfect meal to celebrate. The only ting missing is a pint of Guinness. :)

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) — March 17, 2010 @ 4:16 am

I've never tried to make corned beef. It looks delicious!

Bridgett — March 17, 2010 @ 4:33 am

You've made quite the Irish feast. Looks perfect!

sophia — March 17, 2010 @ 4:50 am

I've been seeing corned beef and Irish cooking in every blog now! Ah, I feel so left out on the St. Patrick themed celebrations! I guess I'll just have to live (eat) vicariously through you! :-)

theUngourmet — March 17, 2010 @ 5:00 am

Terrific job on the corned beef! What a perfect St Paddy's Day meal!

girl Japan — March 17, 2010 @ 5:31 am

Corned beef.. you are torturing me here… I CAN'T find it, anywhere… UM.. wonder if I can make it myself?

Looks fabulous BTW! I've been baking a lot, and freezing meals… now, I'm a huge fan of baking..

Rate This Recipe!! — March 17, 2010 @ 6:02 am

Is today St. Patrick's day already?

I haven't had this dish for years…now your post made me crave for it.

Kelsey — March 17, 2010 @ 7:04 am

I like how you prepared the cabbage rather than boiling it. I made corned beef for the first time this year, too. I cooked it in the slow cooker and it turned out great.

Beth (Jam and Clotted Cream) — March 17, 2010 @ 8:23 am

Haven't had corned beef in years. Great St Patricks Day meal

Carmen Rosa — March 17, 2010 @ 9:10 am

Pam, You make all your recipes so delicious!!!!
    Congratulations

grace — March 17, 2010 @ 10:50 am

homemade corned beef? right on, pam–good for you! it's not my cup of tea, but i do love mustard and can eat anything if it's smothered with enough of the yellow stuff. :)

Joanne — March 17, 2010 @ 11:10 am

I've never made corned beef before either and didn't even realize that it was traditionally boiled! I would probably go the slow cooker route…but that's just because I'm lazy.

This looks delicious! You've made the Irish everywhere proud!

Melynda — March 17, 2010 @ 12:27 pm

Very nice, and the roasted vegetables look wonderful. I will have to try those. I love corned beef, my Mom use to simmer it and finish it in the oven with a glaze of orange marmalade and grainy mustard. I still make it that way myself.

FoodTherapy4Me — March 17, 2010 @ 12:49 pm

How festive!! Great spin on a traditional boiled dinner! We love this yearly tradition. Typically I just wait until the day after to buy the marked down beef, so end up celebrating a day or so late. Leftover are awesome too. Looks delicious!!

Tiffiny Felix — March 17, 2010 @ 2:53 pm

I *love* corned beef…we only have it on St. Patty's day to keep it special and fun. I'm so glad you decided to boil it, since it was your first time making it; I don't know how roasting would be since I think it's a pretty tough piece of meat. Yay for corned beef and cabbage!!

♥peachkins♥ — March 17, 2010 @ 2:55 pm

That corned beef looks really tasty!

StephenC — March 17, 2010 @ 3:50 pm

Another beautifully constructed dish! Here's a link if you ever want to try making your own corned beef. I do it off and on using inexpensive cuts of beef instead of brisket.
    Best,
    StephenC

Gulmohar — March 17, 2010 @ 4:29 pm

Happy St.pats day to you too !! That sure is a festive meal :-)

noble pig — March 17, 2010 @ 4:34 pm

Boiling my meat tonight!

Marjie — March 17, 2010 @ 4:43 pm

I adore corned beef! I have been deprived for decades because my dearly beloved does not love it. Maybe he doesn't like it because it always came as part of the "New England Boiled Dinner" which is all your ingredients tossed into the pot.

The Blonde Duck — March 17, 2010 @ 5:11 pm

Happy St. Patrick's day!

Bob — March 17, 2010 @ 5:15 pm

Corned beef is one of my favorite things, but I've never made it myself either. Yours looks perfect!

Ashley — March 17, 2010 @ 5:43 pm

Looks yummy…if I didn't have to work today, I would be at home cooking this. Well done!

Mandy — March 17, 2010 @ 6:49 pm

Happy St. Patricks day!! This looks like a great irish day fare.

Pam — March 17, 2010 @ 9:25 pm

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

pigpigscorner — March 17, 2010 @ 10:14 pm

Your corned beef looks great! I've only had those horrible canned ones.

doggybloggy — March 17, 2010 @ 11:37 pm

this looks great – I sure wish I had some corned beef…

Jo — March 18, 2010 @ 12:26 am

Happy St Pat's day and what a great dish to celebrate it with. The corned beef looks so flavourful and love the side veggies as well.

Valen — March 18, 2010 @ 1:02 am

I've never had corned beef, but I do LOVE cabbage!

Sushma Mallya — March 18, 2010 @ 6:26 am

Happy st patrick's day pam…platter looks lovely…

PeggyR — March 18, 2010 @ 3:45 pm

This sounds so good! Since we have not had our corned beef yet (we had sandwiches yesterday) I will make this over the weekend. Please visit my blog as I have photo tagged you and I hope you play along…

PeggyR — March 21, 2010 @ 10:20 pm

This was totally delicious. We had it today. My husband likes it all separated instead of put in one pot. The only thing I did different was I added savory flakes to the cabbage. Thanks for sharing these recipes.

yummy2tummy — March 22, 2010 @ 5:55 pm

I've been wanting to eat this ever since St.Patrick's day. I've never had cabbage with corn beef. You're recipe looks easy enough I'll have to try it one day.

Cindy — December 3, 2010 @ 5:16 am

My husband will love this!