Corned Beef Hash

One of the main reasons I wanted to make a corned beef was to make corned beef hash. I’ve never had it but have always wanted to try it. It was better than I imagined! I diced the potatoes, onions and corned beef very small and simply sautéed them with olive oil, sea salt, freshly cracked pepper and garlic powder. It was so easy to prepare and absolutely delicious. My kids really loved it plain (not big egg eaters), while my husband and I really enjoyed it with a steamed egg on top. I will be making this often since it was such a big hit with the entire family.

Corned Beef Hash:

• 3 cups of potatoes, diced
  • 1 sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 1 1/2 – 2 cups of corned beef, diced
  • 1-2 tbsp olive oil
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • Garlic powder, to taste
  • Steamed Eggs, if desired
Boil the diced potatoes in water for 4-5 minutes; drain. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes then add the potatoes. Push the potatoes down in the pan with your spatula and leave along for 3-4 minutes. Flip the potatoes to brown on the other side. Continue to leave the potatoes alone for 3-4 minutes before flipping. Once the potatoes and onions are golden brown, add the corned beef and heat through.

Cook eggs, if desired. Click the link above for directions if needed. Serve your corned beef hash with an egg on top. Enjoy.

81 Responses to “Corned Beef Hash”

Jenn — March 18, 2010 @ 2:59 am

I love hash. I like to have mine with either rice or a couple slices of toast. Yum!!!

• l vines replied: — November 8th, 2013 @ 9:07 am

Thank you for the super easy man trapper!!!I wooed my now husband with a new recipe once a week and the morning i made this easy recipe ( i really made some complex dishes ) he finished eating ,,took me by the hand and he proposed ,,he said he must be marrying a angel cause the food was heavenly !!!

• Pam replied: — November 8th, 2013 @ 10:04 am

Glad I could help. ;) Thanks for making my day!

Cheers & congrats!

outdoor.mom — March 18, 2010 @ 3:01 am

wow! that looks delish!!

girl Japan — March 18, 2010 @ 3:48 am

Sweet home Alabama.. hah just joking, for some reason I associate hash with Southern Cooking.. I would LOVE to have a breakfast like this, oatmeal is sorta getting old…

Susan C — March 18, 2010 @ 3:49 am

Gee, now I wish I had cooked a corned beef so that I could make this hash.

Sook — March 18, 2010 @ 4:05 am

I had corned beef today and was wondering what I'd do with the leftover. This is a great idea!

Mandy — March 18, 2010 @ 4:06 am

My great grandma used to makes this for my brother and I on rare occasions. I hadn't thought about that in years, but the picture with the egg on top brought back those memories. Thank you for that.

Kris — March 18, 2010 @ 4:08 am

This was comfort food at our house growing up! Yummy!!

Chey can cook! (and more) — March 18, 2010 @ 4:30 am

If I could eat corned beef hash everyday and not totally block every artery I have, I would – we love it around here! I've never made it myself, but I'll have to try! Always have to make it crispy:)

Natashya KitchenPuppies — March 18, 2010 @ 4:33 am

Yum, looks great!
    When I was single living in an apartment building a Jamaican man from downstairs used to make corned beef hash for me – one day I sliced open my finger on one of those crazy shaped tins. I married the man who took me to the hospital (not the neighbour).

Jessica {The Novice Chef} — March 18, 2010 @ 5:25 am

I just came across your blog and I am so glad I did! This looks fabulous!

Jessica {The Novice Chef} — March 18, 2010 @ 6:17 am

This looks fabulous! I am so glad I discovered your blog!!

Sushma Mallya — March 18, 2010 @ 6:24 am

lovely click pam…

Bethie — March 18, 2010 @ 10:22 am

Heaven.

Tessan/sweden — March 18, 2010 @ 10:55 am

In Sweden we call it "pytt-i-panna" and we make it out of almost anything! For example meatballs/meatloaf, leftover ham or even salmon or chicken! It´s perfect food for leftovers!

• Jennifer replied: — January 30th, 2012 @ 10:19 pm

I love pytt-i-panna! My boyfriend is Swedish and I discovered when I was visiting him. The restaurant served it with beetroot on the side. Yummy!

Debbi Smith — March 18, 2010 @ 12:03 pm

I was thinking the same thing! I haven't ever made corned beef but I want to because I want to make hash. Who knows if it will get done this year but your pictures look delicious and inspiring! Thanks!

FoodTherapy4Me — March 18, 2010 @ 12:35 pm

Nice job, this is one of my favorite breakfasts!! I especially love it when served as an Irish Eggs Benedict. Simply pile hash atop a toasted english muffin, then a poached egg and hollandaise…SOOO GOOD (but not all that healthy haha!).

Anonymous — March 18, 2010 @ 1:10 pm

I've never had corned beef or corned beef has, but they both look amazing!

Kim in MD

~T~ — March 18, 2010 @ 1:35 pm

I've never had corned beef hash!

Thanks for keeping the ingredients down to a minimum and recipe simple…this means I may be able to make it (with a child in the house!)

:-)

Peanutts — March 18, 2010 @ 1:54 pm

wow , that looks yumm, great recipe to start the day:)

grammie g — March 18, 2010 @ 2:17 pm

WOW!!that sure brings back memories!! My Mom made it and I followed suit when I grew up—egg and all—-I can almost smell and taste it—–Yum Yum!!!!

Jen — March 18, 2010 @ 2:31 pm

Oh I love to make has for breakfast or even dinner! I've made it with Pot Roast too. I usually boil the potatoes, then dice, but I like the idea of dicing, then boiling! Seems like it might save me the time of cooling them.

Pam — March 18, 2010 @ 2:34 pm

Very nice! It looks delicious!

The Blonde Duck — March 18, 2010 @ 4:39 pm

I've heard so much about it, but never had it either!

A Feast for the Eyes — March 18, 2010 @ 4:48 pm

I fell behind in my intentions of making corned beef. It seemed like a lot of food to prepare for two people. Now, I wish I had. Maybe I can benefit from the after St. Patty's sale and get a bargain on one. What a great breakfast. Your egg is cooked just the way I like it.

Joanne — March 18, 2010 @ 5:43 pm

I have to say, I love anything with the word hash in it. Breakfast potatoes are just so delicious! I love it when dinners make great leftovers.

Gulmohar — March 18, 2010 @ 5:48 pm

What an wholesome meal..

grace — March 18, 2010 @ 6:47 pm

is there anything that isn't made more beautiful (and tasty) by the addition of an over-easy egg? delicious!

Bob — March 18, 2010 @ 6:50 pm

Hash is the bomb. Yours looks perfect, especially with the runny yolk there. Love that.

5 Star Foodie — March 18, 2010 @ 6:52 pm

Yum! A corned beef hash sounds amazing, perfect way to use the corned beef!

Marjie — March 18, 2010 @ 6:53 pm

I adore corned beef. Sadly, there was nothing whatsoever left from mine last night. Your hash looks terrific; I love it with eggs!

teresa — March 18, 2010 @ 9:25 pm

oh this looks so good! i love the irish dishes, hope you had a good st paddy's day!

Jen_from_NJ — March 18, 2010 @ 9:33 pm

What a great idea for leftover corned beef! My father used to make this when I was young. I haven't had it in years. Your corned beef dinner looks great as well. I love your sauteed cabbage and onions – so much better than boiled.

Chris — March 18, 2010 @ 10:17 pm

Drool! That looks just perfect Pam. And the action shot with the yolk just breaking, excellent composure. Did you take some pictures before that just in case breaking the egg screw up the shot? I do that sometimes, such as take a picture before I put a sauce on, just in case it turns "fugly".

Free & FLying Mom — March 19, 2010 @ 1:28 am

This look so good. I am looking to follow your blog, but can't seem to locate a link.

theUngourmet — March 19, 2010 @ 3:24 am

This is one of my most favorite breakfasts! Yum! Your egg looks perfect too.

Have you been to Hash in Sellwood? You should go and try their hash too. It's really nice!

Carol-Sutarooni — March 19, 2010 @ 6:29 am

I like to make hash with leftover fish, salmon, etc. It is also good with chicken, but the best is corned beef.

One thing I like to do is go out to dinner on Saturday night and make "leftover" hash on Sunday. Each time is a surprise.

Bugaboo — March 19, 2010 @ 4:30 pm

I've had canned corned beef hash before and it was always YUCKY, but this sounds good. And the egg on top? For sure! :o )

Ingrid — March 19, 2010 @ 4:58 pm

This looks like a delicious change to my eggs and sausage Saturday breakfast!

Happy Friday!
    ~ingrid

tigerfish — March 21, 2010 @ 2:45 am

Definitely love that runny yolk on the corned beef hash.

Miranda — March 22, 2010 @ 1:00 pm

I made this for my husband this weekend! He loves it!!

My Carolina Kitchen — March 22, 2010 @ 7:56 pm

My husband loves corned beef hash and always orders it when we got out for breakfast. I've never tried to make it at home. I'm bookmarking your recipe and I'm going to give it a try. Thanks Pam.
    Sam

Lilly — February 12, 2013 @ 9:47 am

This looks fantastic and totally do-able!