Chicken and Basil Dumplings

I found this recipe in my Cooking Light Best Chicken Recipes magazine. The original recipe made rosemary dumplings but since my husband and I don’t care for rosemary, I decided to use basil instead. This recipe was very easy to make and tasted FANTASTIC. It really hit the spot after being sick for so long. I loved the dumplings and the rich broth filled with chunks of chicken, carrots and celery. My kids and husband also agreed that it was a delicious dinner and my daughter asked if she could have the leftovers for lunch tomorrow. I will be making this recipe over and over.

Chicken and Basil Dumplings:
Adapted recipe from For the Love of Cooking.net
Original Recipe from Cooking Light Best Chicken Recipes

Soup:

• 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 3-4 carrots, diced
  • 3 stalks of celery, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 8 cups of chicken broth (I used homemade)
  • 2 cups of roasted chicken, shredded
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • 2 tsp chicken bouillon granules

Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add the carrots, celery and minced garlic and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, dried basil, bouillon granules, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Cover and cook on medium low for 45 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.

Dumplings:

• 1 1/4 cups of flour
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tbsp butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Combine the flour with basil, garlic powder, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl. But in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Combine buttermilk and egg, stirring with a whisk. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just combined.

Remaining Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup of cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup of chicken broth
  • 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

Add the chicken to the soup then taste to re-season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, if needed; bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Combine the cornstarch with the chicken broth and mix thoroughly to make a slurry. Add slurry to the soup, simmer for 3 minutes.

Drop dumpling dough, 1-2 tsp per dumpling, (I used two spoons to drop them into the soup) into the chicken soup. Cover and cook for 7 minutes (DO NOT LET THE BROTH BOIL). Add the chopped parsley to the soup and serve. Enjoy.

51 Responses to “Chicken and Basil Dumplings”

Sushma Mallya — January 20, 2010 @ 3:49 am

Basil gives such a nice flavour,looks really delicious and so colourful too…

Jenn — January 20, 2010 @ 4:05 am

I'm digging this soup right now. There's just something about chicken soup that makes it all worth it.

Sharon — January 20, 2010 @ 4:08 am

What a fantastic recipe. I would've used basil too – great substitution!

Andrea@WellnessNotes — January 20, 2010 @ 4:44 am

Great dish! And I can imagine how well basil works in it. I LOVE basil, but I also really like rosemary, so I could imagine making both versions!

tamilyn — January 20, 2010 @ 5:19 am

I love dumplings with chicken, something I didn't know about until I got married and my hubby asked me to make chicken and dumplings. Now the soup is making me think I need to make some chix and dumplings for my dumpling….

I would be soaking all that broth up with a some crusty bread-it is my favorite part of soup :)

Kris — January 20, 2010 @ 5:54 am

Oh yum! Comfort food at it's best. I shall be making this!

Girl Japan: April Marie — January 20, 2010 @ 6:12 am

oohhh ooohh This is my favorite when I was kid.. STILL is… I have been wanting to have this since.. the cool months hit, I had a dutch version once (was a bit sour tasting)???

Not sure what it was called though.. I love the dense dumplings and I equally love the one's that rise to the top of the pot like a fresh baked biscuit.

I remember my mum would short -cut it

Peanutts — January 20, 2010 @ 6:45 am

That looks so comforting grreat recipe to try on rainy days.

pixelhazard — January 20, 2010 @ 7:02 am

Oh this kind of dumpling has always intrigued me. I;ve made rosemary ones before but basil has such a lovely flavour. Will definately try it!

Vanillastrawberryspringfields — January 20, 2010 @ 7:10 am

What a delicious hearty filling combo-fantastic

Kamaren — January 20, 2010 @ 7:28 am

Pam- looks fab. I love simple, fresh flavours. I bet it was nice on the mend as well!

Fallon — January 20, 2010 @ 8:06 am

Sounds delicious and hearty!

Nina Timm — January 20, 2010 @ 8:09 am

How is it possible that a dish can be so rustic and so elegant all at the same time…. Glad you are feeling better!!

Conor @ HoldtheBeef — January 20, 2010 @ 9:52 am

I've never had soup with dumplings. Looking at how good this is, I am feeling a little foolish about this.

HoneyB — January 20, 2010 @ 9:56 am

Looks like a yummy dish to help you on the way to feeling well!

Donna-FFW — January 20, 2010 @ 11:32 am

Every time I make dumplings, I fail, this recipe encourages me to try again, it looks so delicious!

Amanda Kaake — January 20, 2010 @ 2:17 pm

In my opinion, basil is the best herb to use with this type of chicken dish.

Debbie — January 20, 2010 @ 3:28 pm

Looks delicious Pam. So good this time of year and I love the basil dumplings!

Ingrid — January 20, 2010 @ 4:19 pm

Glad to see you're feeling better! This looks like it might have helped. I've yet to make chicken and dumplings but have wanted to for a while. With your thumbs up I'm going to give a try.
    ~ingrid

Dawn — January 20, 2010 @ 4:24 pm

you know I give thanks everyday because I still have no gotten sick. maybe it's because I wash my hands about 7 times a day and take too much zinc? who knows. glad you are feeling better. and yes, I would love to try this soup.

Katherine Aucoin — January 20, 2010 @ 4:30 pm

Flavoring the dumplings really appeals to me because the possibilities are almost endless. This soup looks very hearty too.

So glad you're on the mend Pam, I've missed you! Hugs!

Easy recipes — January 20, 2010 @ 4:57 pm

Thanks for the photos. You make cooking fun and easy.I may sound biased but when we do less with additives and make food look very herby and spicy with basil,pepper and garlic like in your Chicken and Basil Dumplings, food assumes the real taste it is supposed to give.

5 Star Foodie — January 20, 2010 @ 5:57 pm

Chicken and dumplings sound so good and I love the addition of basil, yum!

oneshotbeyond — January 20, 2010 @ 6:31 pm

Lovely looking! :-)

Maria — January 20, 2010 @ 6:42 pm

Love the basil touch!

Cheryl — January 20, 2010 @ 6:52 pm

I feel comforted just looking at that soup! Great job!

Marjie — January 20, 2010 @ 7:18 pm

Funny that you don't like rosemary, because my kids invariable grumble about the "pine needles" in the food! This looks like a wonderful chicken dinner.

noble pig — January 20, 2010 @ 7:24 pm

This is lovely and I think the basil is a great sub however I love rosemary!

grace — January 20, 2010 @ 7:26 pm

chicken & dumplins? yes, please. chicken & dumplins with basil? get the heck out of my way! this is warm and comforting nourishment in a bowl, pam, and i love it!

Mandy — January 20, 2010 @ 7:34 pm

I'm home sick and currently wishing that I had someone to make this for me or that I had the energy to make it myself.

teresa — January 20, 2010 @ 8:36 pm

oh yum! if that doesn't soothe the soul, nothing will!

The Blonde Duck — January 20, 2010 @ 8:46 pm

Ben would adore this. He says he's moving in too.

Sarah — January 20, 2010 @ 11:49 pm

We're not huge rosemary fans at my house either, but we love basil. This recipe looks delicious!

Live.Love.Eat — January 21, 2010 @ 12:07 am

I am with you, not a big rosemary fan but I do cook with it, just not in large quantities or anything that puts it on a stage.

I love your version.

Rate This Recipe! — January 21, 2010 @ 12:49 am

Totally delicious comfort food

Melissa — January 21, 2010 @ 12:59 am

Your food always makes my mouth water.
    By the way….I nominated you for a Beautiful Blogger Award. You can check it out on my latest post. :)

Melissa — January 21, 2010 @ 1:00 am

Your food always makes my mouth water.

Ch4ttyC4thy — January 21, 2010 @ 1:21 am

This looks real good!

~Dana — January 21, 2010 @ 1:36 am

This looks amazing!

Chris — January 21, 2010 @ 2:22 am

Glad you're feeling better. This recipe sounds excellent.

Question, how do you like the Range brand of chicken broth you use and is it really free? (yes, I'm a dork)

Melanie — January 21, 2010 @ 2:37 am

I can't wait to make this. I just moved from Florida to a suburb of Cincy and this weather is horrible up here. This will be great comfort food.

Kerstin — January 21, 2010 @ 3:36 am

Mmm, what a lovely soup! It looks so flavorful and comforting!

Sara Tea — January 21, 2010 @ 4:19 am

I am now very upset I am not eating this right now. This looks amazing.

Natashya KitchenPuppies — January 21, 2010 @ 4:24 am

Yum, so comforting!

The Beasons — February 16, 2010 @ 4:49 am

Made this last week, and it was delicious! I had planned on serving leftovers for dinner the next night, but hubby couldn't wait that long, and had it for lunch! First time making dumplings, and will definitely make again, thanks for sharing.

Northern Style Chicken and Dumplings | The Hyper House — February 16, 2012 @ 3:03 pm

[...] Thankfully, this recipe is one of those best northern style chicken and dumpling recipes. Pam from For the Love of Cooking has tweaked a Cooking Light recipe to be amazing. She even understands my irrational hatred of rosemary and uses basil as her herb of choice. Rather than repost her recipe I want Pam to have all the credit so if you need to try some of the best northern chicken and dumplings out there, try Pam’s Chicken and Basil Dumplings. [...]

elise Blair — April 26, 2012 @ 8:07 pm

Im making this dish this week. can u please tell me how you roasted your chicken?

• Pam replied: — April 26th, 2012 @ 8:25 pm

I have several roasted chicken recipes on the site.. Look in the recipe index under chicken. Hopefully you will find one that sounds good to you. You can also pick up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and use that instead. I hope this helps.

Anne Olson — April 12, 2013 @ 8:49 pm

Pam,
    I made this tonight and we just finished dinner. It was SO GOOD!! We love the dumplings so much. They are fluffy and so tasty. I added about 1/4 cup of finely chopped red bell pepper because I had a piece I wanted to use up and it was pretty in the soup. Wow. Will make this one again!

Michelle — January 29, 2014 @ 10:07 am

Does anyone know the yield on this? I’m trying to decide whether to halve for just two people?

• Pam replied: — January 29th, 2014 @ 10:39 am

Michelle,

It serves 4 (2 adults & 2 kids) with leftovers the next day. I hope this helps.