Banana Coffee Cake with Coconut Pecan Frosting

I’ve seen a few banana cakes on the web recently and it made me want to bake one. My son and I were bored one rainy afternoon so we decided to bake a banana cake with coconut pecan frosting. It’s a Cooking Light recipe I found on myrecipesand it was simple to make and it turned out so moist and delicious. My kids loved this cake for their after school snack…they told me it was awesome at least three times. My husband and I tried it for dessert and we both agreed that it was amazing.

Banana Coffee Cake with Coconut Pecan Frosting:

• 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp of water
  • 1 tbsp of butter
  • 2 tbsp pecan pieces
  • 2 tbsp of sweetened coconut flakes

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a glass pie or cake dish with cooking spray.

Combine the banana, white sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and egg in a bowl then beat with a mixer on medium speed until creamy and thoroughly combined.

Mix the baking powder, salt and baking soda with the flour then gradually mix the flour into the banana mixture until well blended. Pour batter into the prepared pan.

Place in the oven and bake for 25-27 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove from pan and place on serving plate.

Combine the brown sugar, water, butter, pecans and coconut in a small pan over medium heat; bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Carefully spread the warm frosting over the banana cake, making sure to coat the top of the cake evenly. Slice and serve. Enjoy.

13 Responses to “Banana Coffee Cake with Coconut Pecan Frosting”

Ingrid — February 14, 2010 @ 3:10 am

Yum, we love banana flavored desserts and this one is nice and easy. I can totally see why it was a hit….that topping puts it over the top!
    ~ingrid

pheromones — February 12, 2011 @ 4:07 pm

Thanks for the recipe on the banana cake. Looking forward to reading more of your blog all weekend. thanks. What about adding more vanilla extract? Too much? Ariel from NC.

Pheromones — June 24, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

Love banana cake

Feromonas — June 24, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

I love the way you used the really ripe bananas in this. I want to make this for a barbeque this weekend. Thanks.

mama-laoshi — April 11, 2013 @ 6:35 pm

Wondering if the title is a mistake or is there meant to be coffee included in ingredients? Thanks.

• Pam replied: — April 11th, 2013 @ 8:41 pm

No mistake. There is no coffee in this coffee cake. It’s meant to be eaten with your morning cup of coffee. Hope this helps.

mama-laoshi — April 11, 2013 @ 9:09 pm

Thanks for replying Pam. Was wondering if it was an American way of describing cake to go with a cup of coffee! In UK coffee cake always has coffee flavour. Might actually try making it with coffee as I like the sound of coffee, banana and pecans… your picture looks delicious. I am enjoying your site… off to make your slow simmered meat sauce now!

Nata — May 23, 2013 @ 12:43 am

Dear Pam could you, please, advice how i can convert the cup measures into gramms? It’d really help a lot! Thanx munch in advance!

Pam — May 23, 2013 @ 8:26 am

Nata,

Here is a link to a site that has converted cups to grams.

Elida — June 8, 2013 @ 6:50 am

Hi there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group?
    There’s a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Many thanks

• Pam replied: — June 8th, 2013 @ 9:55 am

Hi Elida,

I would love for you to share my website! Thanks for asking and for being a loyal reader.

For the Love of Cooking

Carol — February 24, 2014 @ 9:02 am

Hi Pam,
    Can you tell me what size round dish is to be used? Looks delicious..

• Pam replied: — February 25th, 2014 @ 8:14 am

I used a regular sized glass pie pan.