- 1/2 cup sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, coarsely chopped
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 cups of vegetable or chicken broth (I used homemade chicken stock)
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1-2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp of oregano
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 2 small zucchini, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 small yellow squash, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/2 lb cheese tortellini
- 3 cups sliced fresh spinach (about 3 ounces)
- Asiago cheese, shredded
Increase the heat to medium high, then add the tortellini, zucchini and squash. Taste and re-season if needed. Cook for 10 minutes or until the tortellini is cooked through. Stir in spinach and simmer, uncovered, until spinach is wilted and all vegetables are tender, about 1 minute longer. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with Asiago cheese. Enjoy.
Note: If not serving immediately, add the spinach just before serving to retain the bright color and prevent overcooking.