No Bake Chocolate, Oatmeal and Coconut Cookies

We had friends coming over for dinner and I wanted to make a quick and easy dessert. I’ve been wanting to try no bake cookies for a long time but I was worried that my cookies may not set because I live in a humid climate…I was right. Unfortunately, I made them on a pretty rainy and humid day so they just wouldn’t harden. I placed them in the refrigerator and it helped. We ate them quickly before they melted in our hands and we all loved them, especially the kids. My friend Molly said they reminded her of an almond joy without almonds. They literally took just a few minutes to make and tasted fantastic. I recommend making these cookies when it’s not humid or rainy.

No Bake Chocolate, Oatmeal and Coconut Cookies:
Adapted recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net

• 1/4 cup of milk
  • 1/4 cup of butter
  • 3/4 cup of sugar
  • 3 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups of quick cooking oats
  • 3/4 cup of coconut

Bring the milk, butter, sugar and cocoa powder to boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add the vanilla, oatmeal and coconut; mix thoroughly.

Drop spoonfuls onto a silpat mat or wax paper and wait until dry. Enjoy.

23 Responses to “No Bake Chocolate, Oatmeal and Coconut Cookies”

Lee — December 6, 2009 @ 9:16 pm

Were these supposed to use quick oats or old-fashioned? I used the regular old-fashioned ones I had in my cupboard and these came out unpalatably chewy…maybe the recipe could be edited to include that?

Pam — December 7, 2009 @ 3:04 am

Lee,

I am sorry I wasn't more clear, I did use quick cooking oats in my recipe. I will amend the recipe and the printable recipe to reflect the correct type of oats. Thanks for letting me know – sorry yours didn't turn out well.

Anonymous — February 11, 2011 @ 5:07 pm

I made these cookies with my six year old daughter and had a blast. The cookies came out drier than yours. Some held together. The ones that did'nt I used the cookie crumbles on top of ice cream. Yum!

Liz — April 14, 2012 @ 8:25 pm

Hey! Another great idea! I just made these with the coconut! They are SOOO tasty! Lately my family has been fed and treated to recipes from your website!

THANKS!

John — May 28, 2012 @ 1:18 pm

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but it turns out very dry and it’s not sticky at all. Everything is just crumbly, I followed the directions exactly.

John — May 28, 2012 @ 1:27 pm

nvm I just slapped it back on the heat and added a tiny bit of milk till it got all nice and sticky again, turned out fine.

Amanda — August 22, 2012 @ 3:30 pm

Hi,
    What quantity does this make?
    Thanks.

• Han VanBoner replied: — October 26th, 2012 @ 10:51 pm

Depends, when they break apart they become more.

Amanda — August 22, 2012 @ 3:31 pm

Also was it sweetened coconut??

• Pam replied: — August 22nd, 2012 @ 4:25 pm

I did use sweetened coconut and this batch made 15 large cookies. I hope this helps.

brenda — September 27, 2012 @ 5:03 am

My mother use to make a nobake cookie when I was a child but it didn’t use coconut & it did require peanut butter,they had all the other ingredients though,,, I think I will try my mothers recipe but add coconut it sounds very yummy

Han VanBoner — October 26, 2012 @ 10:50 pm

This is similar to a recipe on the, how you say, oatmeal cylinder box? I think this is. I’ve been making them for 20 years now and maybe 3 times did they come off the wax paper a solid cookie. Then if they did they just broke apart when handling, hahahaa… No matter what the shape or size, this cookie is satisfying my sweet tooth.

Jayne Baker (no pun intended) — November 14, 2012 @ 9:27 am

Use parchment paper instead of wax paper….no sticking. Great recipe by the way.

Rebecca Bettin — December 2, 2012 @ 9:59 pm

Have been looking for this recipe for years. I’ve known them as “brown bears” but they are so good that they disappear by any name!

Kathy Lawson — December 9, 2012 @ 9:06 am

My family has also been making these for years, and when I started making them I had the same issue with them falling apart, which my grandmothers never did. I finally figured out why….where my grandmother lived was on the prairies, I live in a province that is much much higher in altitude. I simply amended the recipe to boil the syrup for a minute or two longer, as the boiling point is much lower where I live. Once I added the minutes to the boiling time, my cookies started to stay together. Its much the same with candy making, the higher the temp the harder the candy. Same with any recipe that requires no baking but boiling of the syrup. The higher up you live the longer you need to boil it in order for it to reach the temperature it needs to harden properly.

Lisa Salisbury — January 30, 2013 @ 11:36 am

My cookies completely fell apart…is there anyway to fix them? Can I boil new syrup and add crumbs to reshape?

• Pam replied: — January 30th, 2013 @ 6:05 pm

Lisa,

I have no idea what happened! I am sorry they fell apart, I hope they still tasted good.

leah — March 8, 2013 @ 2:09 pm

thanks SO much for this recipie! my grandmother made these for my dad ALL the time & when she passed away I thought i had lost this one for sure! I thought it was one she made up or got out of an old newspaper. SO GLAD to see this! my dad loved these & we used splenda instead of sugar!

Megan — May 19, 2013 @ 9:25 am

thanks, these came out perfect and so easy to make!

No Bake Chocolate Cookies | Chocolate Driven — September 12, 2013 @ 2:36 am

[...] Easy No Bake Chocolate Cookie Recipe [...]

Raye — December 16, 2013 @ 6:54 pm

It took me awhile to find this recipe, thank you for posting it!
    I just finished making a batch. I read the comments first & I’m also from the Canadian prairies, so I took note to try a boil the syrup longer. I poured the syrup into the oatmeal mix, but found it crumbled, so then I quickly put the whole thing back into the pot with a little milk ( as John suggested ) & on med heat, stirred & it mixed a lot better . I will let you know what the final outcome is. Thank you again . Merry Christmas!

Jess — February 26, 2014 @ 11:58 am

Mine where falling apart and I went to my laptop to Google how to make them not fall apart. While I was on the laptop I had put the coconut, oatmeal, and vanilla, and a little bit more milk in the pan and put it back on the stove. I stirred it about a minute late and ta-da!! They were super sticky and didn’t fall apart! LOL who knew! Just leave them on the stove on medium heat and let them cook a bit longer. Super yummy!

Coconut Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies | Over The Big Moon — April 25, 2014 @ 5:01 am

[...] butter in their pantry, so I  did find a recipe using Coconut Flakes that you could try from For the Love of Cooking that looks good! [...]