Chicken and Roasted Garlic Lasagna

We had friends coming for dinner and my dear friend Kyle was running in a race the following day so I wanted to make something healthy yet filled with carbohydrates to give her a boost for the race. I had leftover roasted chicken to use up so I decided to make a lasagna with chicken and roasted garlic. I also used the remaining Roasted Garlic and Basil Marinara I had in the freezer. It was really easy to make and very delicious. I loved the flavor of the chicken with the creamy ricotta cheese. It was a big hit with everyone.

Chicken and Roasted Garlic Lasagna:

Chicken Mixture:

• 2 cups roasted chicken, shredded
  • 2 bulbs of roasted garlic
  • 1/4 sweet yellow onion, diced finely
  • 5-6 baby bell peppers, diced finely (I used red & yellow)
  • 6-7 fresh basil leaves, chopped
  • Dried oregano, to taste
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste

Prepare the roasted garlic.

Place the shredded chicken, roasted garlic, diced onion, diced bell peppers, chopped basil leaves, oregano, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste on a large cutting board. Chop all the ingredients together and mix thoroughly.

Other Ingredients:

• 1 (32 ounce) container ricotta cheese (I used part skim fat)
  • 1 egg
  • 5-6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
  • Dried Oregano, to taste
  • Fresh nutmeg, grated, to taste
  • 1/2 cup + 3 tbsp of Parmesan cheese (divided)
  • 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles, cooked per instructions
  • Mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • Roasted Garlic and Basil Marinara

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Coat a large 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.In a large bowl, add ricotta, egg, 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, fresh chopped basil, nutmeg, oregano, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Combine until mixed thoroughly. Meanwhile, cook the lasagna noodles per instructions then drain.

Layer a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with just enough sauce to cover the bottom of the pan. Lay three lasagna noodles in the pan. Spread some of the ricotta mixture on the noodles, then spoon some of the chicken mixture on top and sprinkle with a bit of mozzarella; spoon some sauce over the cheese; repeat layering. Finish with a layer of noodles and remaining sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, remaining 3 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of basil or oregano.

Bake covered in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing. Enjoy.

10 Responses to “Chicken and Roasted Garlic Lasagna”

A Girls Weekend Menu « — March 8, 2012 @ 1:05 pm

[...] Chicken & Roasted Garlic Lasagna [...]

Rachel — June 3, 2012 @ 4:19 pm

I’m making this for dinner tonight and I’m really excited about it!

Rose — August 13, 2012 @ 9:40 pm

omg i made this yesterday for my mother in law’s birthday and it was an absolute hit!! thank you so much for the recipe!

Beth — October 20, 2012 @ 4:31 pm

I made this without the peppers and onions because my kids don’t like “chunks.” Instead, I added ground up fresh spinach. When my kids asked what the green stuff was, I told them it was Italian seasoning. They LOVED it.

On the Menu for Next Week | From Florida to North Dakota — January 27, 2013 @ 4:56 am

[...] we’re having Chicken and Roasted Garlic Lasagna from For the Love of Cooking.  This is a recipe I have made 3 times now. We all love it too! [...]

Kelly — February 16, 2013 @ 1:33 pm

I like the spinach idea someone posted. Can I use no bake lasagna noodles?

• Pam replied: — February 18th, 2013 @ 8:32 am

Yes you can. Just skip the step of cooking the noodles. Enjoy!

Kelly — February 21, 2013 @ 5:45 pm

It’s in the oven as we speak….I hope it turns out well! I added spinach and used the no-bake noodles. I’m crossing my fingers! I will say that I absolutely LOVED the roasted garlic step! It was so fun squeezing that garlic out! Haha!

Dinner last night | Foolishness to believe... — April 3, 2013 @ 1:52 pm

[...] share this yesterday because it was trumped by MUCH more exciting news! Last night I made chicken and roasted garlic lasagna and rosemary bread (recipe from Ben’s uncle). Deeeelish! Share this:TwitterFacebookLike [...]

Roasted Garlic and Chicken Lasagna — January 28, 2014 @ 7:54 am