Bean and Bacon Soup

This was the perfect soup to end the day. It was cold and rainy outside all day long and I wanted something warm and comforting for dinner. I thought a bean soup would be tasty. I found this simple and delicious recipe on Real Simple and adapted it just a bit. It was a hearty and delicious soup that my entire family loved. I enjoyed the salty flavor of the bacon with the creamy beans and soft carrots. I served this soup with my House Salad and some freshly baked bread. This was a quick and easy recipe with very little clean up – perfect for a week night meal.

Bean and Bacon Soup:
Adapted from Real Simple

• 4 strips of lean bacon
  • 3 large carrot, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 3 15 1/2-ounce cans white beans, drained
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

In a large Dutch oven, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels. Let cool, chop, and set aside.

Over medium heat, add the carrot, celery and onion to the pan drippings in the Dutch oven and sauté for 7 minutes; add the garlic and sauté for an additional 60 seconds, stirring constantly. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste.

Add 2 cans of beans, bay leaf and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the carrots and celery are soft.

Uncover and remove the bay leaf. Using a potato masher or an immersion blender, partially mash the bean mixture until it thickens slightly. Stir in the last can of beans, parsley and bacon. Taste and re-season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, if needed. Enjoy.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe - For the Love of Cooking.net

9 Responses to “Bean and Bacon Soup”

kristi @ sproutsinthekitchen — November 5, 2009 @ 5:57 am

I need to go buy celery, I need to go buy celery, tomorrow I'll buy celery. And then I am making this soup! Perfect pantry meal. Thanks Pam.

Helene — January 21, 2010 @ 4:26 am

My husband thought i bought this from the store! It was so tasty and it hit the spot with the rain outside.

~RED~ — April 17, 2010 @ 9:58 pm

This is a beautiful site, thank you so much, i might make it tomorrow, it's wet and chilly here.

Michelle — April 2, 2012 @ 4:52 am

I made this soup over the weekend and i can honestly say that it tastes great. I will definitely share this recipe with my family and friends.

Lauren — May 14, 2012 @ 11:03 pm

My mother lobbied for me to visit this website for quite some time. This is her favorite soup. She got me to finally visit this blog by bringing me a quart of this soup– and this was so good that I ended up making it myself. Always perfect for those cold New England winters (and falls… and springs…).

Arlene — October 20, 2013 @ 6:19 pm

Could I have the caloric and fat content of this soup.

• Pam replied: — October 20th, 2013 @ 6:59 pm

Arlene,

I don’t provide the caloric and fat content. Sorry!

Jessica — December 20, 2013 @ 10:02 pm

Do you think a pinto bean could be substituted for the white beans?

• Pam replied: — December 20th, 2013 @ 10:18 pm

I don’t see why not. Let me know how it turns out.