Mexican Rice Casserole

An old friend used to make this Mexican rice casserole for me all the time. I started craving it the other day and decided to try and recreate it myself. We had friends coming for dinner and I figured this would be a great meal for a large group. My friend would use a can of Mexican tomato sauce that was really spicy but it wouldn’t be good for the four kids eating dinner so I opted to use regular tomato sauce. (If you aren’t serving kids, I recommend the spicy tomato sauce for added flavor and kick). I also decided to throw in some black beans, cilantro and extra seasonings. It turned out really delicious – we all loved it (except for my daughter – picky kid). I topped it with sour cream but also served it with salsa and guacamole on the side. It was quick and easy to make and there was little clean up. I served this casserole with my Southwestern Salad with Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette and they paired nicely together.

Mexican Rice Casserole:

• 1 1/2 cups of white rice, prepared per instructions
  • 1 tsp of olive oil
  • 1 lb lean ground beef (I used 96/4)
  • 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp dried cumin
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2-1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • 1 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
  • 3-4 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped (divided)
  • 1-2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
  • 3-4 tomatoes, sliced thickly
  • Sour cream (topping)
  • Salsa (topping)
  • Guacamole (topping)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare rice per instructions. While the rice is cooking heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the skillet is hot, add the ground beef, making sure to break it up into crumbles. Cook the beef for 3-4 minutes then add the diced onion and all of the seasonings. Stir until well combined and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the beef is cooked through and the onion is tender. Add the minced garlic and cook, stirring constantly for an additional 60 seconds. Add the cooked rice, drained and rinsed black beans, tomato sauce and a bit of cilantro (reserving some for garnishing) to the beef and onion mixture. Mix the ingredients thoroughly, taste and re-season if needed.

Coat a large baking dish with cooking spray and pour the rice mixture into the dish, spreading it evenly. Place the tomato slices on top of the rice mixture then top with cheddar cheese.

Spray a piece of tin foil with cooking spray (so the cheese won’t stick) and cover the baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes then remove the tin foil. Bake for an additional 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden brown. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before slicing. Top with a dollop of sour cream and the remaining chopped cilantro. Enjoy.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

14 Responses to “Mexican Rice Casserole”

Some new recipes… « smithfamilyhome — April 11, 2012 @ 9:15 am

[...] http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2009/04/mexican-rice-casserole.html [...]

Patty b. — September 24, 2012 @ 12:53 pm

I made this today….I added 1 tsp. salt and about 1/2 tsp. pepper..I thought it was a little bland so I mixed 1-1/2 cups of salsa right to the rice mixture before putting it in the baking dish….I used Mexican shredded cheese for the top….was very good served with homemade hot rolls.

Heather — November 28, 2012 @ 2:59 pm

I am making this tonight and want to verify something. It says 1 1/2 cups of rice. Is that measured dry rice, then cook it OR is that already cooked rice that is going into the oven? Thanks

• Pam replied: — November 28th, 2012 @ 4:12 pm

You must cook the rice first… see instructions above.

Betsy C. — December 13, 2012 @ 7:33 am

The rice amount isn’t really clear to me either! Because I don’t want to mess-up the seasoning ratio, I just thought I would check. I understand the rice should be cooked, but is it 1 1/2 cups rice before it is cooked or 1 1/2 cups after it is prepared? A measure of 1 1/2 cups dry before preparation would obviously yield quite a bit more rice. Thank you so much, sorry to be a bother!

• Pam replied: — December 13th, 2012 @ 7:56 am

1 1/2 cups of DRIED rice that you then prepare. I hope this helps.

• Betsy C. replied: — December 13th, 2012 @ 7:59 am

Yes it does, Pam! Thank you. I’m following from Madrid and dinner was getting close, so I went ahead and prepared one cup of dried rice, since I figured that would be either just under or over the quantity. About to go in the oven and it looks delicious (OK, it tastes delicious too…I checked).

Monday Menu & Recipe Review | Home Baked — April 1, 2013 @ 8:44 am

[...] Mexican Rice Casserole (swap from Jen), guacamole and [...]

Monday Menu and Recipe Review | Home Baked — April 8, 2013 @ 9:05 am

[...] Monday: Mexican Rice Casserole (swap from Jen), guacamole and chips [...]

Menu Plan Monday — August 25, 2013 @ 4:22 pm

[...] Mexican Rice Casserole and Fresh Corn Tuesday- Sweet and Sour Meatballs, Rice, Steamed Broccoli Wednesday- Caramelized [...]

Mexican Rice Casserole — September 23, 2013 @ 8:34 pm

[...] haven’t had the recipe for that long, but that hasn’t stopped me from making it several times. This past time I even [...]

Barbara — November 7, 2013 @ 5:03 pm

Made this tonight…very tasty. It’s a keeper. I didn’t have fresh tomatoes so I drained a can of diced tomatoes and spread that on top.

Stephanie — June 18, 2014 @ 5:53 pm

This looks delish! One question…have you tried freezing this? Would you bake first, then freeze and just reheat. Or freeze before you bake it?
    Thank you!
    SJ

• Pam replied: — July 6th, 2014 @ 8:03 am

Stephanie,

I’ve never tried freezing it before, so I don’t know how it would turn out. If you do freeze it, please let me know how it turns you.

Thanks,