Roasted Sweet Potatoes

If you read my blog you know that I love roasting vegetables. I decided to roast sweet potatoes with butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar. The house smelled amazing while they roasted. They were simple to make and tasted tender, sweet and delicious. I served them with a roasted chicken and salad and  it was a very tasty meal. My husband and I really loved these sweet potatoes and the kids did too.

• 3 Sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size cubes
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp of brown sugar (more if you want it sweeter)
  • 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg
  • Pinch of ground ginger
  • Sea salt, to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a small baking dish with cooking spray. Peel and dice the sweet potatoes into bite size cubes and place in the baking dish. Melt butter in the microwave and pour over the potatoes along with the olive oil, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Add more sugar or cinnamon if desired. Toss to coat evenly.

Bake in the oven for 60 minutes. Stir the sweet potatoes once or twice during roasting. Enjoy.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

43 Responses to “Roasted Sweet Potatoes”

Roasted Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes « Juggling with Julia — January 30, 2012 @ 12:46 pm

[...] Roasted Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes Serves 6 Adapted from For the Love of Cooking [...]

susan — May 27, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

Can you make these the night before, if so, what’s the best way to store them?

• Pam replied: — May 28th, 2012 @ 8:11 am

Susan,

I have never made these the night before so I am not sure how it would turn out. I would assume that storing the sweet potatoes in sealed tupperware would work best. I hope this helps.

Yvonne — June 27, 2012 @ 6:36 pm

Found this recipe on Pinterest and made it tonight. They were so easy to make and came out delicious. Not to mention they smelled so yummy each time I took them out of the oven to stir them. Will definitely make again! Thanks for the recipe! :)

Amy — July 17, 2012 @ 6:51 pm

I’m not positive but those look like yams not sweet potatoes. I got sweet potatoes so guess we shall see how it turns out.

• Nancy replied: — June 22nd, 2014 @ 1:57 pm

You are right – the ones pictured appear to be yams. I think some folks mistake yams for sweet potatoes – I’m rather certain that either variety will work in this recipe!

Becca Porter — August 7, 2012 @ 5:56 pm

Actually, yams are basically never sold in the states. They are huge and much starchier.
    Southern farmers started calling their orange sweet potato varieties yams as a sales ploy. Both white and orange are sweet potatoes.

Brown Sugar, How Come You Taste So Good? | Food Bloggers : On Food Blogs and Food Blogging — August 20, 2012 @ 5:28 am

[...] Roasted Sweet Potatoes [...]

Megan — August 23, 2012 @ 6:51 pm

I found this on pinterest and had them tonight – These will be a staple side dish for my husband and I for years to come – its delicious!

Recap My Cooking Day « Teach the Teacher — August 27, 2012 @ 5:11 pm

[...] was for roasted sweet potatoes. It wasn’t as sweet as I was hoping, I should have added more brown sugar. I did add more [...]

jo — September 5, 2012 @ 10:37 am

what temperature for a fan oven and how long will it take?
    jo

Ann — September 13, 2012 @ 2:55 pm

That sweetpotato dish looks so good, can’t wait too try it.

Patti Heilig — September 20, 2012 @ 12:56 pm

I made this last night and it was easy and delicious

Sara — September 21, 2012 @ 12:16 pm

Making these for the second time tonight, we love them!

SWEETEN UP WITH SWEET POTATOES FROM – ALDI’S — October 13, 2012 @ 9:03 am

[...] fortheloveofcooking.net via Dana on [...]

Lisa Marie — October 27, 2012 @ 8:38 pm

I am thinking this will be one of my side dishes for Thanksgiving this year. I can’t wait to try it. I may have to make it tomorrow to test it out first. :-)

Candace Cooper — October 29, 2012 @ 5:57 pm

Thank you for sharing this recipe. It looks amazing. I can’t wait to try it.

Jennifer Rothchild — November 5, 2012 @ 5:16 pm

I recently brought sweet potatoes over to a friends and she was making chicken picatta. We ended up making a more savory version (no brown sugar or cinnamon) Just salt, pepper and a little italian spice and putting the roasted sweet potatoes in the pasta along with bacon peices. It was sooo good a little sweet with savory in the pasta. And to top off the picatta we added roasted red pepper slices!

Kathy — November 11, 2012 @ 6:21 pm

These sound delicious. How many does this recipe serve?

Thanksgiving Menu Ideas: 50 Thanksgiving Side Dishes — November 12, 2012 @ 5:01 am

[...] Potatoes Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes Lemon Roasted Peewee Potatoes Chive and Garlic Mashed Potatoes Roasted Sweet Potatoes Sauteed Sweet Potatoes and Spinach Oven-Dried Mashed Sweet Potatoes Sweet Potato Salad Sweet [...]

Stefanie — November 17, 2012 @ 5:42 am

Any thoughts on other veggies I can throw in there? Has anyone tried beets, butternut squash, etc? This will be a main side on Thanksgiving and I’d like to incorporate a few other veggies.

• Nancy replied: — November 2nd, 2013 @ 4:12 pm

love beets and butternut squash. Havent cooked them together. Beets take about an hour to boil, but dont peel them. the basic cooking method can be found in Better Homes n Garden or just search the web. After they are tender then the skin slids off but it holds in the beet juice while cooking

Roasted Sweet Potatoes « TommyLi — November 20, 2012 @ 6:23 pm

[...] fortheloveofcooking.net via SummerHibiscus on Pinterest 14.150875 145.214874 Share [...]

Melissa — November 22, 2012 @ 6:11 pm

Made these for Thanksgiving with the family and they were most definitely a favorite of the day. There are several sweet potato fanatics in my family and I was told by every one that these potatoes were by far better than any other recipe they had ever tried. Cooked so tender (not mush) and seasoning was perfect. Would’nt change a thing!!

DarLynn4701 — November 24, 2012 @ 10:37 am

For those who aren’t sure of the difference between Sweet Potatoes and Yams..
    Sweet Potatoes are orange and largely produced in North America. Yams are a much paler colour, bordering on beige-yellow, not as sweet, and are produced, I believe, mainly in Africa (will have to look it up to be sure). There really is a big difference and it irks me when supermarkets post signs that say ‘yams’ when, in fact, they’re sweet potatoes.

Roasted Sweet Potatoes | The PinterTest Kitchen — November 25, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

[...] Leighann pinned this recipe from Annie Hodgdon. They are originally from For the Love of Cooking. [...]

Julie G — November 26, 2012 @ 8:16 pm

Made these for Thanksgiving and were a huge hit. Thanks for the recipe!

For the Love of Cooking » Roasted Sweet Potatoes « Grinelda Markowitz — December 16, 2012 @ 11:57 pm

[...] For the Love of Cooking » Roasted Sweet Potatoes [...]

Rose — January 12, 2013 @ 3:21 pm

I made these for Thanksgiving and again for Christmas dinner. This is the only recipe I will ever make again. Everyone said they were the best sweet potatoes they had ever had. Thank you for sharing.

Donna — January 18, 2013 @ 4:32 pm

These were good. I did have to add extra butter and brown sugar. :)

Lisa — February 20, 2013 @ 4:33 pm

This recipe is wonderful with parsnips & carrots too.

Sunday Traditions | Michelle StClair — March 10, 2013 @ 5:47 pm

[...] Roasted Sweet Potatoes (repeat recipe) [...]

Sandy — March 20, 2013 @ 8:27 am

Excellent! Best sweet potatoe receipe ever! Highly recommended!

Anne Olson — April 15, 2013 @ 2:48 pm

This is REALLY good!

Meal Planning, Pinterest Style - Recipes Included - the domestic fringe — May 16, 2013 @ 4:01 am

[...] Source & Recipe [...]

AliLily | HUGE Round Up of Delicious Thanksgiving Recipes — September 16, 2013 @ 8:15 am

[...] Chili Glazed Sweet Potatoes 2. Roasted Sweet Potatoes 3. Brown Butter and Hazelnut Mashed Potatoes  4. Sweet Potatoes with Apple Butter  5. Sage [...]

April Oksenhendler — November 8, 2013 @ 4:40 am

How many servings does this recipe make?

• Pam replied: — November 8th, 2013 @ 7:10 am

This served my family of four with a little leftover. I hope this helps.

Roasted Sweet Potatoes | What's in the Oven? — November 28, 2013 @ 9:47 am

[...] http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2009/03/roasted-sweet-potatoes.html Share this:FacebookStumbleUponGoogleTumblrPinterestTwitterEmailPrintLike this:Like [...]

Daniela — November 28, 2013 @ 12:14 pm

OMG what a delightful selection !
    Everything looks so yummy but I think my favorites are the Brie bites…irresistible :)

The Lilypad Winter Veggies » The Lilypad — February 9, 2014 @ 9:54 am

[...] sprinkle with dill and roast in the oven at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Roast sweet potatoes (using this recipe) for a really satisfying potato dish. Cut zucchini into spears, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle [...]

Lacey — April 2, 2014 @ 5:47 pm

350 for 60 minutes wasn’t long enough. Next time I will put them at 400.

Friday Five (a day early) | Stellar Fashion & Fitness — July 3, 2014 @ 3:15 pm

[...] made variations on the following dishes: baked tilapia, roasted potatoes, crock pot BBQ chicken and brown sugar roasted sweet potatoes. I tried to cut down on any butter or oil in the recipes, and I only used spices that I had on [...]