White Bean and Ham Soup

Fall is fast approaching and I am so happy. Making soups, roasting meats and vegetables, baking pies and cookies… It’s my favorite time of year! It’s a chilly day with lots of rain in the forecast so I made a big batch of white bean and ham soup. This is a quick and delicious soup that is great for either lunch or dinner. My children love it so much that it has become a regular dish in our house. I serve it with my house salad and crunchy bread… It’s a perfect meal.

White Bean and Ham Soup:

• 1/2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 yellow sweet onion
  • 1 cup of carrots sliced
  • 2 stalks of celery sliced
  • 1 clove of garlic minced
  • 1 1/2 cups of cooked diced ham
  • 4 14oz cans of white beans or navy beans (rinsed & drained)
  • 3 cups of chicken stock
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

Heat large dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add olive oil, onions, carrots & celery. Cook until tender. Add garlic and ham and cook for 30-60 seconds before adding stock, 2 cans of beans, bay leaf, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium low heat for at least 1 1/2 hours. Remove bay leaf and blend soup in pot with immersion blender (use regular blender if you don’t have an immersion blender). Add the remaining 2 cans of beans to soup & simmer for a bit longer. Serve with crusty bread & salad for a great meal.

Click here for printable recipe

29 Responses to “White Bean and Ham Soup”

recipes2share — September 2, 2008 @ 8:25 am

Paris is damp & chilly today & this would be the perfect supper to cheer & warm everyone!

Beth — September 2, 2008 @ 11:24 am

Its raining here in Cornwall too so this would be a great lunch. This soup looks fantastic. I wouldn’t tell my hubby there was celery in it though – he’d run a mile. He wont even know its in there if I don’t say anything!!

Natasha — September 2, 2008 @ 2:46 pm

I eat something similar quite often, bean soup is the national dish of my country. The recipe is slightly more complicated and it takes longer to cook, but I think the results aren’t too different. Very tasty indeed!

Adam — September 2, 2008 @ 2:54 pm

I’ve been craving a nice bowl of soup too. It’s not getting quite cold enough yet, but around dinner time there’s almost a crisp in the air. This is going to be a nice go to dish :)

nicole — September 2, 2008 @ 5:08 pm

Looks good as always.

- sean - — September 2, 2008 @ 5:13 pm

you are the sole reason i do not go out to eat but once a month anymore. i have never tried one of your recipes and been disappointed. absolutely wonderful.

i cannot thank you enough. especially for this…this is my favorite soup ever. has been since i was a kid.

thank you.

Carolyn Jung — September 2, 2008 @ 6:10 pm

With our 90-degree weather lately, it’s hard for me to think of fall. But autumn is one of my fave times to cook, too. I love making slow-cooked braises in the oven. This soup looks like a most satisfying dish, too, when our weather starts to cool. I look forward to trying it then.

Joe Horn — September 2, 2008 @ 6:17 pm

I was just telling my wife the same thing last night when the temperature was in the 70′s down from the 90′s just a week ago. I can’t wait for the cold weather and the snow!! Soup, chuck roast, braising foods all around!!

Yeah

Paula — September 2, 2008 @ 6:32 pm

Please feed me! I love, love, love this recipe! My youngest daughter would totally slurp this up. YUM!

Cheryl — September 2, 2008 @ 8:14 pm

Looks yummy, I am saving this one!

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer — September 2, 2008 @ 9:14 pm

I am so looking forward to soup days and comfort food!! This is a keeper for sure!!

Jan — September 2, 2008 @ 10:34 pm

I much prefer cooking in fall and winter, but that still seems a long way off.

I’m looking forward to some soup, and yours looks really hearty and delicious. Roll on fall.

Grace — September 2, 2008 @ 10:46 pm

what a perfect way to welcome fall! i used to have ham and bean soup in an amazing bread bowl every wednesday at college because my day was always filled with classes and it helped me get through. :)

Pam — September 2, 2008 @ 11:54 pm

Ham and bean soup is my very favorite! I love making it in the slow cooker with some ham hocks.

Olga — September 3, 2008 @ 4:26 pm

Delicious. My mom makes this quite often (Russian upbringing). And we even would make a salad from the cooked beans and carrots with a bit of olive oil and chopped onion.

Sandie — September 3, 2008 @ 4:57 pm

I seem to be experiencing your weather: chilly with lots of rain.

That said, this soup sounds ideal on a gloomy day such as this. White bean with ham is always so hearty and satisfying!

Kara — September 3, 2008 @ 9:29 pm

I can taste it and my stomach feels warm and full just looking at that! Mmm..

Maggie — September 4, 2008 @ 12:08 pm

As much as I’d like to deny it too the chilly weather is coming. I love white bean soup. Your’s looks wonderful!

Lindsey — September 4, 2008 @ 8:53 pm

This looks so good and easy…I love easy soups, I will be trying this one in the fall!

Kevin — September 5, 2008 @ 10:39 am

That soup looks really good. Adding ham to a soup always adds so much flavour.

Jill@SimpleDailyRecipes.com — September 5, 2008 @ 10:56 am

I just made this soup on Saturday for my family and they gobbled it up.

I wasn’t sure they’d go for it. My only disappointment was that I did not make enough.

Megan — September 10, 2008 @ 12:46 am

I made this tonight for my family. So easy to make, and they all loved it. Thanks for the recipe!

colleen — September 15, 2008 @ 5:55 pm

This reminds me of the bean soup my grandma made when I was little. I am making it this week, but only have some hickory smoked ham. Hope it turns out…

Bethie — September 15, 2008 @ 8:19 pm

Hi,
    Brand new here, I found you through Food Gawker. Let me say, just wonderful soup. I used smoked pork chops instead of ham. I also mashed the “other” two cans of beans and added to the soup, rather than your way. I enjoy your blog very much. I can’t wait to try more!

A Week of Pinterest Dinners | Peach State Moms Blog — May 25, 2012 @ 5:49 am

[...] Ham and Bean Soup–I ended up using some smoked turkey that we had in the freezer instead of ham.  The flavors were very good. [...]

Mary — September 27, 2012 @ 7:06 am

Just realized that I never thanked you for this recipe. It’s been one of our favorites for several years now and I just blogged it the other day. Thanks again for inspiring me! Have a blessed day, Pam.

Jen — October 5, 2012 @ 4:06 pm

I just came across this a week ago. I made it for dinner-didn’t have an immersion blender or even a blender so I just mashed the first two cans of beans and mixed them in. It was very easy and very very delicious!! Chilly day today in Minnesota and my boyfriend asked me to make it again, so it’s cooking on the stove once again;) Thank you for a great, easy and pretty quick recipe!! It will be going into regular rotation in my home!

Renee B — January 5, 2013 @ 7:29 pm

I had my on steps to this recipe! Ham and bone with meat on it place in my 7 qt. cast iron Dutch oven, 1 med. onion cut in ½ or ¼ , tops of 4 celery stalks, 6 baby carrots chopped 2 tbsps. Rosemary leaves, 1 ½ tbsps. Thyme leaves filled with water about 2 inch above the ham bone, boil for 1 to 2 hours remove ham bone an strain out the first 5 ingredients. Then finish with this soup recipes!e Note I took out about 1cup of liquid before it was done and let it cool then mixed it with about 3 tbsps. of cornstarch till smooth, add to soup just before it’s finish heat up till thicken! ENJOY! I also used 2 (48oz) jars of great northern beans then i doubled the meat and veg’s, with about 14 cups of the ham stock i had 1 quart jar left of extra stock! It was a Hit everyone liked it even my picky 22 year old!

Woodstock49 — January 7, 2013 @ 9:01 am

I made this soup today and I was surprised how easy it was! Hardest part was waiting for it to finish cooking! This will be my go to recipe from now on. Thanks for sharing!