Mom’s Salsa

My mom made the best salsa when I was a kid. I would look forward to coming home from school to eat that delicious salsa with chips. It had a bit of a kick and was loaded with flavor. I have a great recipe for roasted salsa that I make quite often but I haven’t made my Mom’s salsa in years. My generous neighbor Jack just loaded me up with freshly picked tomatoes and jalapenos from his garden and I thought they would make the perfect salsa. It’s so easy to make and it tastes fantastic. My children absolutely love it and can’t get enough. Thanks for the great recipe Mom!

• 10 fresh tomatoes
  • 2-3 green onions
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic
  • Handful of cilantro
  • 1-2 jalapenos, seeded and deveined (unless you want it spicy)
  • Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

Clean tomatoes, remove stem, then gently cut an X on the bottom of the tomatoes. Heat a large pot of water until boiling. Add the tomatoes and boil for 10-15 seconds. Remove from water and put into an ice bath. Once the tomatoes have cooled, gently peel off the skin.

Place tomatoes, garlic, green onions, cilantro, jalapenos, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper in a food processor or blender. Puree until thoroughly mixed. Taste and re-season if necessary. Letting it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours lets the flavors combine and makes the salsa taste even better. Enjoy!

25 Responses to “Mom’s Salsa”

Maryann — September 18, 2008 @ 9:20 am

Good use of all the fresh tomatoes we are seeing these days :)

recipes2share — September 18, 2008 @ 11:49 am

Homemade salsa is so healthy and versatile too.

HoneyB — September 18, 2008 @ 12:18 pm

It looks so delicious and fresh is always best!

Katherine Aucoin — September 18, 2008 @ 12:20 pm

I love homemade salsa and yours looks so delicious. Now I have another idea on what to do with our abundant crop of tomatoes.

~Priscilla~ — September 18, 2008 @ 1:18 pm

i can’t wait for the weekend, to make some stuff of your site for dinner pam! i’ll let you know how we like it!!

Prudy — September 18, 2008 @ 1:29 pm

There is nothing I like better than a bowl of homemade salsa. I could drink the stuff. If I had some brownies for dessert, that’d be an ideal meal for me.

Maria — September 18, 2008 @ 1:57 pm

Love your serving platter! I always love chips and salsa…and fresh is best!

Marjie — September 18, 2008 @ 2:11 pm

Who doesn’t love salsa, and this looks terrific! Your tray is just the right thing for serving this!

Jessie — September 18, 2008 @ 3:22 pm

Great salsa recipe! I am a huge salsa fan and I love to snack on tortilla chips and salsa. It can be quite addictive! :)

nicole — September 18, 2008 @ 4:53 pm

I would probably eat that salsa all by myself. I love homemade salsa. Great recipe.

Cheryl — September 18, 2008 @ 4:59 pm

That looks amazing, my nephew made some and it has pickle in it? can you imagine!

Jason — September 18, 2008 @ 5:04 pm

I love fresh salsa, and this recipe looks so easy and delicious. Have you ever tried blackening the tomatoes and peppers on the grill before throwing them into the food processor? It adds a wonderful smoky flavor. I also add a bit of cumin to my salsa which adds a little more complexity.

Adam — September 18, 2008 @ 5:13 pm

Never cared much for chips, but salsa is a something I can eat by the gallon. I just love the spicy saltness it has to it. Looks great :)

Jan — September 18, 2008 @ 5:15 pm

Lovely looking tomatoes, ours are getting to the end now, but we have had bumper crops all summer.

Love the salsa, but I think I would leave the jalapeno seeds in as I like mine spicy.

Usha — September 18, 2008 @ 6:35 pm

oddly I have never tried making my own salsa…yours looks fresh and delicious…will give it a try :)

The Blonde Duck — September 18, 2008 @ 6:35 pm

I love salsa. I just drooled on my mousepad.

Veronica — September 18, 2008 @ 7:53 pm

I love homemade salsa…this time of year, when tomatoes are so sweet (and abundant) has to be my favorite.

Heather — September 19, 2008 @ 12:30 am

mmm i love fresh salsa! and those mini wooden bowls are ADORABLE! i love the picture!

Ed — September 19, 2008 @ 3:54 am

Hi Pam…This is Ed, Marybeth’s Husband. Your Salsa is wonderful and very mouth watering. I’m sure it is awesome ! Great Pic too !

Grace — September 19, 2008 @ 9:57 am

if i’m being honest (and i do usually try to be), there really is no better use for tomatoes than salsa. your mom’s recipe is fabulous. :)

Lisa — September 21, 2008 @ 9:43 pm

I made almost the same salsa last week. So funny that it was the same ingredients except i added a squeeze of lime juice. So good!

NuKiwi — September 25, 2008 @ 1:03 am

I love to make my own salsa! We have crappy corn chips here though, so I guess I need to learn to make those too, eh? LOL Thank goodness there are still plenty of uses other than on corn chips!

Andreea — June 7, 2012 @ 11:55 am

Excellent flavour! Thank you for the recipe!

Mexican Meatball Soup Mexican Meatball Soup | Cookbook | OniMag - Trend 'n Life — October 28, 2012 @ 7:52 pm

[...] a blender, combine the salsa and chipotle peppers. Pulse until smooth and well [...]

Mexican Meatball Soup | My Best Cookbook — October 29, 2012 @ 5:51 am