Au Gratin Potatoes

I was recently looking through my Betty Crocker’s cookbook (my very first cookbook). I saw a recipe for Au gratin potatoes and it looked and sounded so rich, creamy and delicious. Definitely not healthy but sometimes you have to splurge – you know? I was roasting a chicken for dinner and decided the Au gratin potatoes would be the perfect side dish. This was really easy to make (as long as you have a mandolin slicer to cut the potatoes – or a wonderful neighbor who has the coolest gadgets and lets you borrow them…thank you Cheryl). I used extra sharp cheddar because it’s what I had on hand. I also used non-fat milk because, well, it has plenty of fat with the cheese and butter. It was a huge hit with my entire family and our friends who were over for dinner – everyone had seconds and there was no leftovers. It paired very nicely with my roasted chicken and a fresh green salad.

• 4-5 large Idaho russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 th inch thick
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
  • 2 cups of non fat milk
  • 2 cups of extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (divided)
  • 1/4 dry Italian bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Scrub potatoes and peel. Cut into 1/8-inch slices to measure about 4 cups. If you have a mandolin slicer, use it.

Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion in butter about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly; remove from heat.

Slowly stir in milk and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute until the cheese is completely melted.

Spread potatoes in casserole dish. Pour cheese sauce over potatoes. Bake uncovered for 1 hour. Mix remaining cheese and the bread crumbs; sprinkle over potatoes; add a bit more salt and pepper. Bake uncovered 15 to 20 minutes longer or until top is brown and bubbly.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

48 Responses to “Au Gratin Potatoes”

noble pig — September 16, 2008 @ 6:10 am

OMG love the potato, you should so enter these into our Potato Ho Down happening this wednesday…you really, really should. They are perfect! Don’t keep these potatoes all to yourself! Here’s the link…

Paula — September 16, 2008 @ 7:22 am

I don’t believe it, I don’t believe it! I just harvested my potatoes and was thinking to myself, “Self, what should I make with these lovely garden potatoes?” Now I know what to make! This recipe sounds great! I was surprised to see non fat milk in the ingredients list. The potatoes look so creamy, I would have guessed whole milk! Oh Pam, come move by me. And feed me. Daily. :-)

Amber — September 16, 2008 @ 7:53 am

It was 11pm for you…it is 12:46am for me and I just got done with a chocolate hazelnut semi freddo and it is now in the freezer. It would have been done earlier but I had to make the amaretti cookies first that go in it. I hope to post it tomorrow evening if I am happy with it. Thank you for the comment. The mushrooms are actually easy. Chop, saute, add, fill, bake. If you come to Central

The Blonde Duck — September 16, 2008 @ 10:41 am

My mama used to make this all the time. And I wondered what I’d be making for supper tonight….thanks for posting the perfect solution!

EAT! — September 16, 2008 @ 10:58 am

I got stuck in a rut making the same side dishes all the time. My daughter would love if I made these for dinner. I have the same cookbook – I’ll have to check it out more often.

Adam — September 16, 2008 @ 11:50 am

The potatoes look delicious. You sliced them perfectly. I can almost imagine cutting into their cheesey crusty goodness :) I’d be more than happy to be a guest at your home :)

Katherine Aucoin — September 16, 2008 @ 12:20 pm

Your potoatoes definitely look like a crowd pleaser. They look so creamy and cheesey. I’ll have to put these in the rotation; I’m yenning for roasted chicken and Au Gratin taters.

Maria — September 16, 2008 @ 1:16 pm

Cheesy delicious! What a tasty dish for dinner!!

mikky — September 16, 2008 @ 1:44 pm

Wow!!! what a great side dish… :)

~Priscilla~ — September 16, 2008 @ 1:56 pm

what a great looking potatoe dish! yummy! will be making these. i also wanted to say, i made your chocolate peanut butter cookies and my family loved them! i didn’t happen to get pics, but they will be made again! thanks!

Nina Timm — September 16, 2008 @ 2:21 pm

Potato in any form, grabs my attention and this looks so scrumptious!!!

hayleynichols88 — September 16, 2008 @ 3:57 pm

Mmmm that looks soooo good and with a roast chicken too! I made such a disaster of this dish last time I tried it!

Also I was intrigued to know how you do the printable recipe thing at the end of each post? Thanks!

Hayley xx

Elle — September 16, 2008 @ 4:33 pm

Oh, yum! It looks so comforting and delicious–i need to make this one!

HoneyB — September 16, 2008 @ 5:24 pm

I agree with Cathy – enter these into the Hoe Down. I’m guilty of not entering that myself, but hopefully will soon! They look absolutely delish!

Grace — September 16, 2008 @ 5:38 pm

if i’m gonna splurge, this is just the type of dish i want to splurge on. replace that cheddar with pepper jack and i’ll fatten up real quick. :)

Kay — September 16, 2008 @ 6:23 pm

I’m so addicted to potatoes. I should be doing meat postings, but in stead I’m just doing the potato thing way too often :)

This looks to die for.

Gloria (Canela) — September 16, 2008 @ 6:59 pm

Pam your potatoes look awesome, really yummy and so nice picture,xxGloria

Cheryl — September 16, 2008 @ 7:12 pm

That looks great Pam, next time I am using Cheddar!

Pam — September 16, 2008 @ 8:02 pm

Hayleynichols88,

I created a plain blog for my printable recipes. Simply copy and paste the recipe into your plain blog and attach a link. Super easy and hopefully helpful to those that want to print recipes. Hope this helps.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen — September 16, 2008 @ 8:48 pm

Man, I haven’t had those in so long, they look wonderful! I am going to have to make those when it gets a bit cooler here!

AJ — September 16, 2008 @ 9:03 pm

All these need is a little bacon and I could eat them by themselves. I wanted to crawl through my screen these looked so good. The picture is delicious.

Marjie — September 16, 2008 @ 9:25 pm

I love au gratin potatoes. My oldest son has never been willing to eat potatoes, but I used to call these “au gratins” and he ate them for years without realizing what they were!

Stephanie — September 16, 2008 @ 10:44 pm

Wow..that sounds really good. I am going to have to try this one.
    Thanks

MaryBeth — September 16, 2008 @ 10:54 pm

There is nothing better than home made Au Gratin potatoes. My mom used to make it for us when we were kids. I will have to give it a try myself.

Jan — September 16, 2008 @ 11:34 pm

Au gratin is one of my favorite potato dishes, and these look totally scrummy.

Veronica — September 17, 2008 @ 12:39 am

Oh boy, such cheesiness-they look absolutely perfect!

Prudy — September 17, 2008 @ 1:38 am

Those look wonderful and well worth the plurge.

Jason — September 17, 2008 @ 1:41 am

My stomach is growling just looking at these! I’m not a huge potato fan, but these look delicious!

Jan — September 17, 2008 @ 3:20 am

Au gratin is one of my favorite potato dishes, yours looks really good. I’m not surprised there were no leftovers.

Jan — September 17, 2008 @ 3:27 am

Whoops! I had a problem posting a comment on here earlier, and didn’t think it had gone through, now I see it did. I’m not really going senile, or maybe I am.

keywesthaven1@msn.com (Terry) — September 17, 2008 @ 4:43 am

Nice blog! Tasty Treats I see.

thank you for the viewing.

A fellow blogger,

Terry

hot garlic — September 17, 2008 @ 12:16 pm

Oh my gosh, Pam, you’re killing me! These look nothing short of amazing. I need a drool cloth, or maybe just an adult bib!

anja3582 — September 17, 2008 @ 1:11 pm

They sound really good! Just a suggestion for next time: I recently worked in a really upscale restaurant that had THE BEST au gratin potatoes ever. Their secret? A little bit of Gruyere cheese. I tried it at home and it really adds a little something that makes you go, “Hmmmm, what’s that?” (In that amazing-but-you-can’t-pinpoint-what-it-is kind of way!) Can’t wait to try your recipe, with that

[eatingclub] vancouver || js — September 17, 2008 @ 7:11 pm

Fabulous potatoes! Those are some spuds. I can just imagine the ooeygooeygoodness of them.

Deborah — September 17, 2008 @ 8:47 pm

You are killing me! I can’t get enough potatoes lately, and this just looks over-the-top good!!

Holler — September 17, 2008 @ 9:42 pm

I was thinking of making this sometime this week. You have made me feel like I will definitely have to make it! Yum!

The Merlin Menu — September 18, 2008 @ 4:06 am

Great Recipe….. I shall try it….

But in return, if you would, try mine…..

And if you do, give me your honest opinion…..

HoneyB — September 19, 2008 @ 8:27 pm

I am making these – this weekend! I’ll be adding ham because Grumpy thinks it has to have diced ham…but I just know they will be delish! Yours looks so awesome!

cheesy potatoes - - Network Panda – cPanel Web hosting, PHP, MySQL, unlimited disk space and bandwidth — April 6, 2012 @ 8:01 pm

[...] http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2008/09/au-gratin-potatoes.html View more posts in: [...]

Homemade Au Gratin Potatoes « Are We There Yet? — July 11, 2012 @ 8:57 am

[...] On the other hand, they did taste good and were the perfect texture after baking.  I just wish mine would have turned out as pretty as the the original over at “For the Love of Cooking.” [...]

Antoinette — July 22, 2012 @ 4:18 pm

I made these 2 nights ago and my entire family loved them! They went back for 3rds!! They were absolutely perfect and i highly recommend just following directions as stated because there is nothing that needs changing…well except maybe adding bacon would throw it over the top! ;D

Week 3 Menu | ourjourneywithhim — September 7, 2012 @ 1:54 pm

[...]  I use broccoli instead of spinach (sometimes) Cheesy Beef Bake Day 2:  an unhealthy day recipe: cheesy au gratin potatoes  Spinach Meatloaf [...]

Meal Plan Monday | Thrifty Divas — October 1, 2012 @ 11:39 am

[...] of it yet. HERE is the pin for it. It’s such a simple recipe and so yummy! Au Gratin Potatoes-THIS is a really easy recipe and super yummy. This is definitely a rich meal, but sometimes you need [...]

Potatoes au Gratin - Je suis alimentageuseJe suis alimentageuse — January 18, 2013 @ 10:25 pm

[...] This recipe is adapted from Pat at For the Love of Cooking [...]

Betty Crocker Scalloped Potatoesmade — April 4, 2013 @ 8:47 pm

[...] [...]

Au Gratin Potatoes | Grab a plate — April 17, 2013 @ 12:27 pm

[...] got this next recipe from here: http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2008/09/au-gratin-potatoes.html and mine looks NOTHING like the pictures from the post – lol.  Not sure why – maybe [...]

It’s The Cheese that Makes the Difference | fadetheprompt — April 21, 2013 @ 7:14 pm

[...] much for two people), so I could throw in the ham and make it a main dish.  I read the steps at For the Love of Cooking and used them as a basic guide.  I modified and did not measure. I went with my [...]

Pinterest.Com — February 12, 2014 @ 5:14 pm