Shredded Chicken, Green Chile, Black Bean and Cheddar Cheese Chimichanga

Shredded Chicken, Green Chile, Black Bean and Cheddar Cheese Chimichanga
I could eat Mexican food every day. I love it. I crave it. I need it. Luckily, my husband loves it too and if you ask my children what restaurant they want to go to, they will always say “chips and salsa” aka a Mexican restaurant. Anyway, I had a few avocados to use up and decided to make a batch of guacamole. I love shredded chicken with green chiles so I thought a chimichanga would be perfect with the creamy guacamole. I was right. I added black beans and cheddar cheese along with the chicken and green chiles. Cooking the chimichangas in a hot dry skillet makes them really crispy on the outside while staying moist and tender inside. The cheese oozes out and the green chile gives it a bit of a kick. My husband and I loved this! The chiles were a bit spicy so I did chicken, bean and cheese for the kids – they LOVED theirs too.

Shredded Chicken:

• 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of any fat
  • 3 cups of chicken broth
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp sweet yellow onion, diced finely
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and gently boil for 20 minutes. Let the chicken breasts cool then shred with two forks.

Shredded Chicken, Green Chile, Black Bean and Cheddar Cheese Chimichanga

• Flour tortillas
  • Cheddar cheese
  • 1 4 oz can of whole green chiles
  • Tomatoes, diced (garnish)
  • Green onions, diced (garnish)
  • Black beans, rinsed and drained
  • Guacamole (click here for recipe)
  • Sour Cream (optional)
  • Salsa or hot sauce (optional)

Heat a dry skillet over medium heat. On a flour tortilla layer cheese, green chile, shredded chicken, black beans then roll into a burrito, making sure to fold in both sides to contain ingredients. Place in the hot skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy. Top with fresh guacamole, tomatoes and diced green onions. Enjoy.

Shredded Chicken, Green Chile, Black Bean and Cheddar Cheese Chimichanga
Click here for a printable version of this recipe

23 Responses to “Shredded Chicken, Green Chile, Black Bean and Cheddar Cheese Chimichanga”

Jenny — August 29, 2008 @ 2:23 pm

This looks beyond incredible! I would be thrilled to order this at a mexican restaurant. I look forward to making it at home!

Cheryl — August 29, 2008 @ 3:23 pm

OMG chica that looks good, I am droolin!

Jeni — August 29, 2008 @ 3:33 pm

Wow I know what I’m having for dinner tonight! You have evoked my inner craving for Mexican! I don’t know that I’ll be cooking it, but I’ll definitely save this for later and give it a whirl.

Matin — August 29, 2008 @ 7:06 pm

Looks yummy, I am hungry now:-)
    XX M

Beth — August 29, 2008 @ 7:47 pm

I could live on mexican too I think. Loving this dish. You can’t get cans of whole green chilli in UK though so will have to improvise.

Jan — August 29, 2008 @ 10:11 pm

They look amazing, Pam. Good job!

Marjie — August 30, 2008 @ 12:16 am

Allergy to peppers leaves me out of this. But they certainly are pretty!

Kevin — August 30, 2008 @ 12:21 am

Mexican food is one of my favorites as well. I have a ton of bookmarked Mexican recipes just waiting to be tried. These sound really good. I like the whole chilis in them.

Pam — August 30, 2008 @ 1:56 am

I also love Mexican food. Making the chimichangas in a dry skillet is a great idea.

Lisa — August 30, 2008 @ 3:17 am

This looks so DARN good! I could eat mexican every night too.

Kay — August 30, 2008 @ 7:06 am

Your photos look pretty darn good as well!! I should be doing something Mexican soon, absolutely love it. It looks so tasty and abudant. Beautiful light, btw.

I hear you on the better cooking with tiny ones. I’m a stay at home mom as well, and currently at the stage(for the first time in 2 years) where I even have to put the veggies in meat or poultry :)

Dhanggit — August 30, 2008 @ 7:08 am

i could eat mexican food too three times a day for the rest of my life if they look good as this!!! yay, i would love to do this tonight!!thanks for the idea!

HoneyB — August 30, 2008 @ 8:12 am

This looks delicious!!! That last photo makes me want one no matter that it is 4 AM!

Nina Timm — August 30, 2008 @ 11:51 am

I am not too familiar with mexican food and by the looks of it, I am missing out a lot..

Grace — August 30, 2008 @ 1:16 pm

i could totally eat mexican every day–in fact, i almost do. it wouldn’t be a problem if everything was as healthy and easy as this–nicely done! :)

hot garlic — August 30, 2008 @ 1:24 pm

A++ for presentation, this looks delicious!

And those potatoes look so great too, especially the end ones doused in sour cream! Yum! -I didn’t know you grew up in Idaho. I’m a Utah native myself so that’s pretty close!

nicole — August 30, 2008 @ 3:31 pm

This looks so delicious. Thanks for letting me post your recipes.

Dawn — August 30, 2008 @ 5:03 pm

Wow, how easy does that look to make? Your pics are fabulous. Now I’m hungry.

~Priscilla~ — August 30, 2008 @ 5:05 pm

WOW! Pam, these look great. i will be trying this this week. thanks for the recipe, my family and i LOVE mexican food.

Kristen — August 30, 2008 @ 9:01 pm

Oh YUM! I could eat Mexican food everyday too. This looks great! Bookmarked to try soon!

Aggie — August 31, 2008 @ 3:01 am

I’m a big fan of Mexican and love making it at home! This looks unbelievable. Look at those chiles in there…yum!

lindaloohoo - wheresmydamnasnwer — September 1, 2008 @ 6:00 pm

pam. i may actually try to make this.
    if you knew me, well, first of all you probably wouldn’t invite me anywhere, but you would also know i’m a dismal failure in the kitchen, so for something to actually inspire me to want to make it . . . huh.
    good times.
    i’ll let you know how it goes. and if you ever want to offend anyone, just send them my way and i’ll happily take care of

Paige — July 22, 2012 @ 5:47 pm

This was great! I found your blog through pinterest and made this. My family wanted me to add it to one of our staples :)