Pesto

I am in love. I can’t believe I have never made pesto before…it was quick and simple to make and tasted fantastic. I have tried several different store bought pestos but never found one that I liked – I will NEVER buy pesto again. I am so excited to make different recipes with this beautiful sauce. It’s so versatile and can be used on meats, salads, sandwiches or pastas.

• 5 cloves of garlic
  • 1/4 cup of pine nuts, toasted
  • 2 cups of fresh basil leaves
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
  • Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup olive oil

You can use a mortar and pestle, a Kitchen Aid mixer or a blender to make this pesto. I used my Kitchen Aid mixer.

In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast pine nuts for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.

In your mixer add garlic and pine nuts then pulse until chopped. Add basil leaves, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper then pulse until well blended. Slowly pour the olive oil in while the mixer is on. Make sure to scrape the sides then pulse again until thoroughly mixed. Taste and re-season with salt and pepper if necessary. Enjoy!

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

25 Responses to “Pesto”

recipes2share — August 21, 2008 @ 2:58 pm

I so agree, home made pesto is the tops – and you are right, it is really easy to make. I’ve experimented with different herbs and nuts and they are all so delicious. Well done!

Cheryl — August 21, 2008 @ 3:12 pm

I have never made it, but you make it sound soo good I have to try it!

Aggie — August 21, 2008 @ 3:54 pm

There is nothing like fresh homemade pesto. Yours looks wonderful!

I love your photos!

Jason — August 21, 2008 @ 4:20 pm

Isn’t home made pesto the best? I still have several containers of it in my freezer from my pesto making day. And I love the smell in the kitchen, the garlic, and cheese, and basil, yummy!

Katie's blog — August 21, 2008 @ 4:35 pm

It is a staple at my house. My six-year-old loves my pesto. We make it all the time

Adam — August 21, 2008 @ 7:12 pm

Nice pesto :) My cool friend sitting next to me tells me that it goes great on a chicken sandwich… it just needs to be thickened up a bit

Marjie — August 21, 2008 @ 7:51 pm

I love the color, but I can pretty much guarantee that no one would eat green paste in my house *sigh*. Some day, I may get to try pesto.

Beth — August 21, 2008 @ 7:54 pm

This looks divine. I adore pesto – shame hubby doesn’t share my enthusiasm

ana dane — August 21, 2008 @ 8:14 pm

it is the best, and i hope you never are tempted by the pre-made again. it just can’t compare to the fresh.

try freezing it, without the cheese- it lasts for months. you can also use any of your other favorite herbs and nuts (or a mix, with the basil and pinenuts)- parsley, mint, walnuts, almonds- all are great in there too.

Grace — August 21, 2008 @ 8:44 pm

what a gorgeous color. i can douse pretty much anything with pesto and it magically becomes delicious. :)

Paula — August 22, 2008 @ 1:36 am

Well done! Your pesto looks great! Doesn’t toasting the pinenuts make all the difference?! Your serving pieces are darling, too. Now I’m craving pesto! YUM!

jd — August 22, 2008 @ 7:47 am

I’m hopelessly addicted to pesto, too! And there’s nothing better than home-made – I agree!

Yours looks absolutely delicious :)

Alex Rushmer — August 22, 2008 @ 12:12 pm

I totally agree with you about never buying store bought pesto again. Great post

Katherine Aucoin — August 22, 2008 @ 1:29 pm

You are so right, homemade pesto is the best. Yours looks beautiful, so green and fresh.

Stacey Snacks — August 22, 2008 @ 5:17 pm

Enjoying your blog!

I have a huge basil plant in the garden and freeze the pesto so I have it in the winter months too.

I only use 2 cloves of garlic, it depends on your palate.
    You can use walnuts, or pine nuts, and even make it with arugula!

I use it as a condiment! and spread it on toasted bread for sandwiches. I couldn’t live without it!
    Stacey Snacks

Colloquial Cook — August 22, 2008 @ 6:39 pm

Look at the colour of that pesto! So vibrant!

Hillary — August 22, 2008 @ 9:34 pm

I never realized how much I liked pesto paste until recently. I have never made my own but cowriter swears by this pesto pasta if you don’t have the time or mortar and pestle.

Culinary Cory — August 23, 2008 @ 3:16 am

I just love basil. I have two plants growing in my kitchen window. Everytime I harvest a few leaves for a dish, the room is filled with their wonderful aroma.

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) — August 23, 2008 @ 9:25 am

Nothing beats homemade pesto. Sadly here in SA pine nuts are extremely expensive so I always use almonds, but it is as good! I love the color of your pesto.

Hollee — August 23, 2008 @ 1:55 pm

My first pesto was from Orangette – and it’s one made with Italian Parsley and lemons. It is WONDERFUL! Makes me just want to pesto everything to see what kind of interesting flavors I can find!

Kevin — August 26, 2008 @ 12:46 am

That pesto looks so vibrant and fresh and good!

Sarah Bell — August 26, 2008 @ 7:38 pm

I could happily eat pesto all on it’s own :-)

~Madeline~ — August 27, 2008 @ 9:37 pm

I love making pesto too. You just can’t beat a freshly made pesto. I like to mix things up sometimes by making an arugula pesto and also a parsley with walnuts version. Yours looks fantastic.

Karin — September 14, 2008 @ 11:56 pm

I am making pesto today! Pine Nuts and I don’t get along so well, so I leave them out. In my recipe I use about a half a cup of fresh parsley, I like this for the added vitamin C. I sometimes use almonds, walnuts or sun-dried tomatoes.

Bridget — January 13, 2013 @ 11:05 am

I have a friend who works for a produce company and hooks me up with basil for free, I made pesto for us both. If I get a lot I can freeze bags of it. Then hide them from my children. Also living in Florida I almost always have it growing at the front door. My daughter used pesto as part of her science fair project. Glad you got to make it and enjoy it.