Pesto Chicken Sandwich with Caramelized Onions and Havarti

It has been extremely hot here for the last few days and I have been trying to do easy meals that don’t require too much cooking inside the house. I just made home made pesto sauce and couldn’t wait to use it so I made grilled pesto chicken sandwiches with caramelized onions and Havarti cheese. I served them with a caprese salad, baked fries and a cold beer. A perfect meal for a hot summer night. My husband did an amazing job grilling the chicken breasts, they were moist, tender and delicious. Words cannot express how much I loved these sandwiches… the pesto, caramelized onions and Havarti were a perfect combination of flavors. We had friends over for dinner and not only did they love it but so did all the kids.

• 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat
  • 3/4 cup of pesto, divided
  • 1 sweet yellow onion, sliced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • Tomato slices
  • Lettuce leaves
  • 8 slices of Havarti cheese
  • 8 hamburger buns
  • Mayonnaise

Cut each chicken breast into two pieces. Place chicken between two pieces of wax paper or saran wrap and pound each piece until thin. Place chicken in a large zip lock bag with 1/2 cup of pesto and marinate for at least 2 hours.

Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion slices and a bit of salt then saute for 15-20 minutes or until caramelized. While the onions are cooking place chicken breasts on a hot grill and grill for about 5 minutes then flip. Cook additional 2-3 minutes then add cheese and continue to grill for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and juices run clear.

Toast the buns, spread mayonnaise and pesto on each side then layer with chicken and Havarti, caramelized onions, lettuce and tomato. Enjoy!

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

27 Responses to “Pesto Chicken Sandwich with Caramelized Onions and Havarti”

Reeni — August 22, 2008 @ 3:15 pm

Those look so good! I love pesto on chicken, yummy!!

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer — August 22, 2008 @ 3:33 pm

That looks great – I forget about havarti cheese – Thanks for the reminder- What a great combo of pesto and chicken as well!! YUM

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer — August 22, 2008 @ 3:34 pm

recipes2share — August 22, 2008 @ 4:08 pm

These look delicious – aahh! Lucky you grilling outdoors, I think winter has arrived in Paris, its wet & awful right now!!

Marjie — August 22, 2008 @ 4:20 pm

Great way to flavor up the chicken! And your sandwiches are so pretty with the vivid red tomato. Dangit! I knew I shouldn’t let my family discourage me from having “green paste” in my house! Fussbudgets!

Cheryl — August 22, 2008 @ 5:29 pm

That looks amazing Pam!

Teresa Cordero Cordell — August 22, 2008 @ 5:38 pm

Pam, thank you so much for visiting my site. I do hope you try the piloncillo. Gives your baked stuff more of a molasses flavor. I love caramelizing onion for sandwiches. They are so good. Thank you for this post, my husband Bob is going to want some tonight. Talk to you again soon.

Adam — August 22, 2008 @ 8:23 pm

Ha, I knew it :) Chicken and pesto sandwich was a match in heaven. Seriously, I’ve seen angels sing over this.

That is indeed a great summer dinner. Ah, the lazy days…

Aggie — August 22, 2008 @ 8:37 pm

These sandwiches look awesome and just perfect for a hot summer night. I love your fries too! How did you make those? Mine never look that good!

Grace — August 22, 2008 @ 10:07 pm

green chicken…all right, all right, all riiiiight. :)
    i just tried havarti for the first time recently, and i’m smitten. this must be a fabulous sandwich. :)

Jan — August 23, 2008 @ 1:06 am

Mmmm! Mmmmm! They look so good, Pam. I love your pesto sauce too, we have a ton of basil around here at the mo.

PaniniKathy — August 23, 2008 @ 4:44 am

That sounds like a fantastic meal! Love the caramelized onions – I’ve been putting those on so many sandwiches these days, I love the sweetness. Good to know the kids like the Havarti!

Manggy — August 23, 2008 @ 6:41 am

Oh, goodness… The burger + fries (+ sweet onions) just scream “droolworthy!” I hope you don’t mind if I add ketchup to my fries ;)

Paula — August 23, 2008 @ 6:45 am

Have mercy, Pam! Your already great recipes just keep getting better and better! I don’t even know what to say about this sandwich … it is utterly outstanding. You are the master!

Beth — August 23, 2008 @ 11:49 am

My mout is watering. These sound delish

Tom Aarons — August 23, 2008 @ 1:07 pm

What a lovely, simple and delicious looking recipe for hot summer days!

Sarah — August 23, 2008 @ 4:02 pm

I don’t even know if I can comment properly right now, because I’m just so excited about the sound of this recipe! I don’t usually make snazzy sandwhiches, but this one just blows my mind. Thanks!

Alicia — August 23, 2008 @ 10:49 pm

Those look very good. Just my kind of sandwich. That’s a great idea, by the way, to have a basic blog for printable recipes! I’ve been wondering how to do that.

Jenny — August 24, 2008 @ 12:59 am

Pam I am literally drooling over this gorgeous sandwich! I soooo wish I had one for dinner tonight! Great blog, I look forward to visiting often

nicole — August 24, 2008 @ 6:14 am

Hi Pam, I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy your blog. So this week I will be making one of your meals every night. I’m so looking forward to some new things. I will try you pot roast tomorrow.:)Thanks!

hot garlic — August 25, 2008 @ 12:41 am

I love what you wrote on your profile, that is how I like to cook too. Make it gourmet, but make sure there is some nutrition in there too please!

This looks great, I love pesto!

Lisa — August 25, 2008 @ 2:21 am

Great sandwich! Love onions like that, too.

Mochachocolata Rita — August 25, 2008 @ 3:42 am

an excellent combo! never thought of grilling chicken with pesto…great idea!

nicole — August 25, 2008 @ 5:07 pm

Pam, I was wondering if it is ok to post on my blog the recipes I will be making from your blog this week?

Kevin — August 26, 2008 @ 12:47 am

Great way to use the pesto!

Jessie — September 3, 2008 @ 5:58 pm

This is one recipe I’m definitely going to try! I’m a huge fan of chicken so yeah I’m loving this recipe and I haven’t even eaten it yet!

5/25/2014 | stephaniecameron — May 23, 2014 @ 4:00 pm

[...] Pesto Chicken Sandwiches w/ Caramelized Onions-Serving w/ baked fries [...]