Banana, Coconut, Chocolate Chip and Walnut Cookies

I had two very ripe bananas to use up so I decided to make cookies with them. I looked through my baking pantry and realized I had a little bit of shredded coconut, milk chocolate chips and walnut pieces leftover from a previous recipe. My kids and I thought all of those ingredients together would make fantastic cookies – we were right. We had fun making them and enjoyed smelling them bake. They were light and fluffy, slightly sweet with the banana, coconut and milk chocolate while the nuts were crunchy. They reminded me of a muffin top – the best part of the muffin. My kids LOVED them and so did I. My husband and neighbors also enjoyed them too. This recipe is a great way to use up those extra ingredients you have lying around.

• 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 2/3 cup butter, softened
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 large, very ripe, bananas)
  • 1 cup milk chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut, sweetened
  • 1/2 cup walnut pieces

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray the cookie sheet with cooking spray.

Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together, and set aside. Mash the bananas until creamy smooth.

A perfect job for my little ones

Cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Mix in the mashed bananas. Add the flour mixture, and stir until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips, coconut and walnuts. Drop by spoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. If you are doing two batches with the same cookie sheet, make sure to let the cookie sheet cool completely before adding more cookie dough. Let cookies cool on rack. Enjoy.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

21 Responses to “Banana, Coconut, Chocolate Chip and Walnut Cookies”

Jo — August 27, 2008 @ 2:25 pm

These look yummy. I’ve never had bananas in a cookie before.

Jenny — August 27, 2008 @ 4:05 pm

Mmmm, I love using bananas in cookies. Aren’t they so good. I can’t wait to try your recipe!

Reeni — August 27, 2008 @ 4:10 pm

I love the combination of flavors and how you used the ingredients you had available. They look light and fluffy and yummy!!

Cheryl — August 27, 2008 @ 4:32 pm

Indeed they were wonderful, fluffy and not too sweet! thanks for sharing!

Usha — August 27, 2008 @ 4:56 pm

Looks delicious…I love bananas in bakes…but have never tried bananas with chocolate chips..will keep this in mind the next time I have ripe bananas:)

recipes2share — August 27, 2008 @ 5:39 pm

What a great idea. Like you, i just love to search for ingredients then create – its even better when it works out, too!

Marjie — August 27, 2008 @ 6:22 pm

I love bananas; these look great!

Beth — August 27, 2008 @ 6:42 pm

Recipes like this that use up leftover ingredients are great in my book! They sound fab

Pam — August 27, 2008 @ 11:45 pm

I love the picture of the little hands helping!

Kevin — August 28, 2008 @ 1:51 am

Those cookies look really good. I like the sound of cookies with bananas.

mikky — August 28, 2008 @ 1:57 am

wow… something different… looks like you and your kids really enjoyed the bonding time… thanks for sharing… :)

Grace — August 28, 2008 @ 8:11 am

this reminds me of one of my favorite cold stone creamery creations–monkey bites, with banan ice cream, pecans, coconut, crunch bar, and sliced banana. i’d prefer walnuts. awesome concoction, pam. :)

Kay — August 28, 2008 @ 8:29 am

Banana in cookies. What a fantastic idea. Especially when you have kids, you can’t incorporate enough fruit and vegetables into things they like.

Mochachocolata Rita — August 28, 2008 @ 8:39 am

i love this combo! i hope i get to try baking cookies soon! :)

Prudy — August 28, 2008 @ 1:42 pm

What great flavor combos! They look wonderful.

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer — August 28, 2008 @ 2:02 pm

What a fun combination – You are marrying 2 of my favorites. This is a cookie that will be made.

Sam — August 30, 2008 @ 6:54 am

These look great! I’ve been looking for ways to use a HUGE pile of bananas I’ve got in my kitchen!

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer — September 20, 2008 @ 3:26 pm

Ok – So I just made these and they were a MONSTER hit!!! Hubby loved them. They turned out just as you said a killer muffin top. Moist and so tasty!!

In Search Of: the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie Part 36: Banana, Coconut, Chocolate Chip and Walnut Cookies « Kitchen Buddies — March 26, 2012 @ 5:34 pm

[...] I found this recipe on another food blog. [...]

diana — April 11, 2012 @ 7:43 am

i just made this cookies! oh god! they are delicious!

JoAnn — January 13, 2013 @ 5:08 am

These taste delicious..we (my 5 yr. old grandson) made them yesterday. I didn’t use the sugar as I am always leaving out white sugar most of the time. I figured the banana would allow for that. The consistency is a bit off but yummy just the same. We like to keep our cookies in the frig around our home so we are used the consistency not being the “norm”. :-)