The Perfect Egg

There is nothing worse than an over cooked egg. I am not a fan of crunchy whites or the hard and dry yolk. I love a well cooked, over easy, creamy yolk, egg. I tried perfecting my egg cooking technique for years but never got it just right until my brother in law, Brett, taught me how to steam them. It’s similar to basting but instead of using fat or butter, I use water. It’s unbelievably easy and it truly makes the perfect egg. Try it – you’ll see. Thanks Brett!

• Cooking spray (or butter)
  • 1 egg
  • Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
  • 1 tbsp water

Heat the cooking spray in a small skillet over medium heat. Crack the egg into the pan and season with salt and pepper. Once the white of the egg is no longer transparent, add the water to the pan and cover with a lid. Cook for about 1 minute or until the yolk is clouded over. Don’t over cook or the yolk will be hard. I like to eat my over easy eggs on top of an English muffin with a piece of bacon on it. Enjoy!

28 Responses to “The Perfect Egg”

RebeccaC — July 31, 2008 @ 2:26 pm

Boy…I missed breakfast this morning and now I am SORRY. This looks fabulous. MUST try it this weekend.

Oakley Rhodes — July 31, 2008 @ 3:28 pm

this is how my mom always makes eggs – though she would always find a way to have the yolk perfectly un-cooked with no runny whites… I still haven’t figures that out.

spiCes — July 31, 2008 @ 3:52 pm

now that’s a good tip! thanks!i think i am having breakfast for lunch now…

Cheryl — July 31, 2008 @ 4:33 pm

That is an excellent idea, that is exactly how I like my eggs too!

Paula — July 31, 2008 @ 10:54 pm

Glorious! I swear I heard angels singing when I saw your recipe and photos. Great how-to instructions. I adore eggs, and this method will be tried out tomorrow morning at breakfast … if I can wait that long!

Kevin — July 31, 2008 @ 11:41 pm

That egg does look good! Just the way I like it as well.

Tom Aarons — August 1, 2008 @ 2:24 am

Perfect, indeed!

Susan — August 1, 2008 @ 3:13 am

Thats the way I make my eggs..turn out good every time..Picture looks great

Vicki — August 1, 2008 @ 3:24 am

Beautiful! I’m a sucker for a runny yolk.

Jerry — August 1, 2008 @ 1:35 pm

The only way to eat an egg, but you can’t forget the biscuit to clean up the yolk! Yum!

David Booker — August 1, 2008 @ 2:59 pm

Well you learn something every day! I have cooked most of my life and just never thought of this. Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous — August 1, 2008 @ 4:58 pm

We used to call over easy eggs “dipping eggs” because my dad would serve them with buttered toast cut into strips that we would use to sop up the yolk.
    I was really embarrassed when I ordered “dipping eggs” at a restaurant when I was 13 because I didn’t know that “over easy” was the right name!

Nate-n-Annie — August 1, 2008 @ 5:03 pm

Oh man, put that on a slice of toast with some baked beans…YUM!

m — August 1, 2008 @ 6:13 pm

Over-easy is where it’s at.

I have a few friends that order “over-hard” when out and I die a little inside every time I hear it.

I’ve never had problem with the flipping over method though….2-3 minutes over medium heat (check bottom, catch it when the barest tinge of brown is about to show), gently flip over, immediately remove from heat, plate..

With the method up

Hillary — August 1, 2008 @ 7:17 pm

Your egg looks amazing! That’s how I like my eggs too. Thanks for the demonstration.

[eatingclub] vancouver || js — August 1, 2008 @ 8:50 pm

Thanks for the tip! I love runny yolks, although I like some crunchiness around the edges too.

Cassie — August 2, 2008 @ 7:10 pm

Followed a link from tastespotting..

this is exactly how I make my eggs. Soooo good!

Alisha — August 4, 2008 @ 2:16 pm

Hi,

I’m Alisha from Wowzio, and I’m excited to tell you about our new widget platform that helps bloggers increase readership and create more engaged users.
    I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your feedback on these widgets (feel free to also install them on your blog, if you feel they are a good fit).
    You can check out widgets customized for your blog here:

oneshotbeyond — August 5, 2008 @ 6:20 pm

That’s the way I like my eggs too, but dripping over some tators instead of the muffin. Thanks for your version of how to get them with that perfect creamy yoke!

nicole — August 7, 2008 @ 5:22 pm

Just tried this and I can’t believe how perfect they are. My mom was doing it wrong all these years. I’m going to post this on my blog. That is so neat that something so easy as putting water in could make that big of a difference on a perfect egg. Thanks!

Yzzie — August 18, 2008 @ 3:52 am

This is not over-easy. It’s called “basted”. Over-easy always requires flipping the egg over, easy.

Meatless Monday v.1 | Two Friends Cook — July 9, 2012 @ 7:42 am

[...] in the morning before getting ready for work. I learned how to make the perfect over easy egg from For the Love of Cooking. It’s a foolproof method, and it makes a beautiful [...]

Jenny — July 29, 2012 @ 11:37 am

Tnis was painfully easy! Thanks for the clear, easy to follow instructions and pictures!

Steak Hash Steak Hash | Cookbook | OniMag - Trend 'n Life — August 8, 2012 @ 8:59 pm

[...] caramelized onions to use up so I decided to make my husband and I steak hash for breakfast with Steamed Eggs.  It was simple to make and tasted fantastic.  Both my husband and I loved it!  I [...]

Stacey — December 14, 2012 @ 9:27 am

Best egg I’ve ever made in my life! thank you!

joan — February 4, 2013 @ 3:14 pm

I am going to try this tonight. Thanks!

Megan — August 21, 2013 @ 8:19 am

This worked perfectly! Wow so yummy! Thank you

Catherine — October 16, 2013 @ 6:16 am

Would you tell how many minutes an egg takes to cook right, … per your experience. I assume it should be on low fire. I love so many of your recipe and tips on cooking. Thank you so much for sharing!