Green Chile Chicken

This is one of my husbands favorite dishes (and mine too). My Mother in law gave me the recipe & I tweaked it just a bit. The chiles add such an amazing flavor to the chicken and the cheese is gooey and delicious. I usually serve it with black beans & roasted tomatoes and zucchini or with a southwestern salad. It’s a great dish to serve company – there won’t be any leftovers.

• 4 chicken breasts
  • 2 eggs
  • Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
  • 1-2 7 oz. cans whole mild green chiles halved
  • 1 2.25 oz. can of sliced black olives
  • 1/2 cup of cheddar, shredded (I use low fat)
  • 1/4 cup of monterey jack or cotjia cheese, shredded
  • 1-2 tbsp of mayonnaise (I use low fat)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Mix eggs & spices into a bowl. Trim chicken of any fat & slice each breast into 2 chunks. Dip chicken into egg mixture & add to a hot pan sprayed with cooking spray (or olive oil). Cook 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and place in a baking dish. Cover each chunk of chicken with a green chile half. Mix cheese and mayonnaise in bowl. Sprinkle on top of chicken and green chiles. Top with black olives. Cook for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. My Mother in law also adds baby shrimp on top with the olives (it’s really good – but my husband doesn’t like shrimp so I don’t add it).

Click here for printable recipe

11 Responses to “Green Chile Chicken”

Paula — July 23, 2008 @ 4:50 pm

Have mercy! This looks fantastic! I bet it would taste good with shrimp, but I think I like your version better. Gosh, this jumps to the top of my list of things to make. Soon. Like really, really soon. Like right now. Yum!

nicole — July 23, 2008 @ 5:26 pm

I have a casserole recipe like this. It’s called green chile casserole.I will have to try this. It looks super tasty.

Jan — July 23, 2008 @ 10:38 pm

I’m drooling all over my keyboard, it’s not a pretty sight. Unlike that dish, which looks great, Pam.

Rhyleysgranny — July 23, 2008 @ 10:46 pm

That looks amazing. A wonderful tasty but simple supper. I will be making this perhaps tomorrow. :) I have never seen canned chillies here. Would it work with fresh do you think?

Pam — July 23, 2008 @ 11:45 pm

You can use fresh green chiles… first broil them in the oven to char the outside skin; place them in a ziplock bag for 10-15 minutes; peel the skin off and you are good to go. Enjoy!

finsmom — July 24, 2008 @ 2:02 am

This looks incredible. I have just bookmarked about 10 of your recipes to make in the future!

Madam Chow — July 24, 2008 @ 8:32 pm

This looks delicious and EASY – great for a weeknight!

oneshotbeyond — July 24, 2008 @ 11:24 pm

wow I am in heaven and I haven’t taken my first bite! We will be trying this!

Lore — July 25, 2008 @ 8:39 am

Oh man it looks like heaven to me! Consider it bookmarked :)

Elle — July 25, 2008 @ 7:30 pm

I want some this, and right now. It looks fantastic!

tchudson — March 24, 2013 @ 5:54 pm

I started out fully intending to follow the recipe for this dish, minus the olives (never could stomach them). Slowly things changed. First, I decided to cube the chicken so that it would cook faster. Then, I said, what the heck, let’s used diced chiles instead of whole. So, I put the cubed chicken, diced chilies, and egg into a bowl and mixed it all together really well. Then, as I was adding salt, pepper, and garlic powder, I thought, cumin would be good in this. So I added a couple off teaspoons or so of cumin. You know what really goes well with cumin? Chipotle chili powder! In went a teaspoon or so of that. Looking up, I saw that I had a yellow onion in the hanging basket. What the heck, let’s add that in, too. So, I chopped up the onion, and into the bowl it went. Everything mixed together really well, I poured it all into an 8×12 dish and topped with the cheese mixture. We were making some roasted butternut squash that called for 425 degrees, so that’s the temp I used, along with an additional 15 minutes of cooking time. Delicious! I’ll definitely be making this one again!