Camping Cuisine – Pasta Salad

We headed to the mountains this past weekend and spent four wonderful (rain free) days camping with our friends. I have gone camping my entire life and enjoy it immensely. I love everything about it… coming up with delicious camp food recipes, sleeping in my tent, watching my kids make s’moresand sitting by the fire. I also love camp cooking, yes, I said camp cooking. My wonderful in laws gave us a “camp kitchen” for Christmas two years ago and it is the GREATEST camping gadget – EVER (thank you Bud & Fran). It gives me all the work space I need plus a place to organize my food, spices and dishes.

My little outdoor kitchen

This pasta salad was really tasty! I served it with a chicken teriyaki burger and fresh cherries. It was a delicious dinner that the kids and adults enjoyed – it really hit the spot after a long day of playing outside. The pasta was light, fresh, easy to make and tasted so good. Not bad for camp food.

• Rotini (or pasta of choice), cooked per instructions
  • Handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
  • 1 large cucumber, seeded & diced
  • 1/4 sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 1 orange bell pepper, diced
  • Feta cheese
  • Fran’s Simple Vinaigrette (click here for recipe)
  • Fresh basil, chopped
  • Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

Cook pasta per instructions, drain and cool. Once the pasta has cooled, add the cherry tomato halves, cucumber, onion, bell pepper, feta cheese and basil then mix thoroughly. Slowly add the vinaigrette, salt and pepper. Taste and add more dressing as needed.

I served this salad with a Chicken Teriyaki Burger with Grilled Pineapple (click here for recipe) and it was an excellent combination.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

11 Responses to “Camping Cuisine – Pasta Salad”

Mickie — July 7, 2008 @ 3:37 pm

I’m very jealous of your camp kitchen. I used to do living history years ago and would have loved to have something like that to make the chore of feeding the masses much easier. The pasta salad looks lovely…I’ll have to give it a try. Any suggestions on a substitute for the feta? Everyone in my house calls it stinky sock cheese and refuses to eat it. Sad, because I love the stuff. Glad to hear

Pam — July 7, 2008 @ 3:59 pm

Mickie,

I love my camp kitchen…it makes camping so much more fun for the cook. Instead of feta try chunks of cheddar,jack or mozzarella.

recipes2share — July 7, 2008 @ 5:11 pm

Great kitchen. I don’t do a huge amount of camping any more, but always enjoyed cooking al fresco the to sit back and enjoy accompanied by a glass of delicious fruity red!

Michelle — July 7, 2008 @ 9:00 pm

I love your camp kitchen. We love to camp but haven’t found much time this summer. This pasta salad sounds great.

the Aspirant Abecedarian — July 8, 2008 @ 12:26 am

Thanks for stoping by diningfortwo and leaving the kind words.
    This pasta salad looks yummy! Pasta salad like this is one of my favorite foods. It is going on my “to do” list in the kitchen!

Kevin — July 8, 2008 @ 1:56 am

Pasta salad is perfect for camping! That looks like a tasty camp meal!

Paula — July 8, 2008 @ 4:11 am

Wow! Look at that camp kitchen! What an awesome gift! And your camping meal is definitely way beyond typical beans and weenies round the campfire! That salad sounds so good, especially with the addition of feta. And, gosh, look at those cherries! Don’t let my hubby know you provide meals like this while camping!!!

Elle — July 8, 2008 @ 2:46 pm

I love your camp kitchen! We don’t camp, but if we did, I’d totally want one of those!

And you are reading my mind–first chicken and biscuits, now this salad–two of my all time faves!

oneshotbeyond — July 24, 2008 @ 11:30 pm

okay your camp kitchen rocks-more than the pasta salad. Lucky lucky lucky!

Sunday May 13 – Saturday May 19 | whollyweeklycooking — May 9, 2012 @ 7:23 pm

[...] Lunch – pasta salad [...]

엽기/유머 - 재미있는 이야기, 두 여자가 공동묘지에서~ — January 16, 2013 @ 1:07 pm

Every weekend i used to go to see this web site,
    for the reason that i wish for enjoyment, for the reason that this this web page conations really good funny material
    too.