Shredded Chicken Burritos

As you can tell from my recipe blog, we LOVE Mexican food. My kids can’t get enough and it’s the same for my husband and me. I wasn’t in the mood to cook a big meal (90 degrees outside) so I decided to make quick & easy burritos. They turn out good every time! The shredded chicken is very tasty with subtle hints of cumin, chili & garlic. It’s quick and easy to make and it tastes so good.

Shredded Chicken:

• 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of any fat
  • 3 cups of chicken broth
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp sweet yellow onion, diced finely
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and gently boil for 20 minutes. Let the chicken breasts cool then shred with two forks.

Toppings:

• Flour tortillas
  • Cheddar cheese (or low fat Mexican blend)
  • Tomatoes, diced
  • Sweet yellow onion OR green onions, diced
  • Black olives, sliced
  • Cilantro, chopped
  • Non fat refried beans (cooked)
  • Non fat sour cream
  • Salsa or hot sauce
  • Guacamole (click here for recipe)

Layer all ingredients (as much or as little) as you like. Roll & eat. Enjoy.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

7 Responses to “Shredded Chicken Burritos”

ellesnewenglandkitchen — May 19, 2008 @ 7:11 pm

So simple, but hearty and delicious at the same time. I love recipes like this!

Kevin — May 19, 2008 @ 8:51 pm

Those burritos look tasty!

Leslie — May 20, 2008 @ 1:27 am

These look so yummy and so easy!

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) — May 22, 2008 @ 7:00 am

This is Friday night food for us and today is only Thursday,,aaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!

Anonymous — July 13, 2008 @ 3:01 pm

I love this recipe! I make it almost every other week. Instead of 20 minutes, I cover and leave the chicken boiling for 1 hour and a half to get the chicken tender enough to just fall apart. After shredding the chicken, I put some of it back in the broth and add some noodles for chicken soup.

Anonymous — September 16, 2008 @ 4:00 pm

OMG, these are so good! I can’t believe I’ve never made shredded chicken before. Thank you! I see so many other great recipes on your site, that I’m going to have to make a list of ingredients and head over to the store. Thanks again!!!

Burritos Dietary Information - Adipex Diet Pills Online — September 30, 2012 @ 12:43 am

[...] you still don’t have any idea about the level of calories chicken-based burritos have, well, it has the highest level of calories, while burritos made of cheese and beans have the [...]