Spaghetti alla Carbonara
Talk about comfort food. Not only is it really tasty but it’s easy to make as well. I am still one handed these days (see Topping the list for details) so I couldn’t do anything challenging. This dish only has a few steps and it makes a fabulous dinner. It paired nicely with Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan.
- 4 ounces of pancetta, diced into chunks
- 1 small shallot, diced finely
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped finely
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, shredded (use more if you desire)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Whole wheat spaghetti noodles, prepared per instructions (add salt to the water)
- 1/2 cup of pasta cooking water
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the pancetta. Combine the egg with half the cheese, salt & pepper, mix thoroughly. Once the pancetta is cooked, remove from pan and drain on a paper towel. Add shallots to the same skillet & saute until tender. Add garlic & saute for 30 seconds. Remove skillet from heat and add the hot spaghetti noodles and a 1/2 cup of cooking water to the pan with the shallots & garlic. Add the egg mixture & stir thoroughly until creamy (be careful not to over cook the eggs – you don’t want them to scramble). Add pancetta, parsley and the remainder of the Parmesan – taste & re-season if needed. Serve immediately. Enjoy.