This is one of my husbands favorite dishes (and mine too). My Mother in law gave me the recipe & I tweaked it just a bit. The chiles add such an amazing flavor to the chicken and the cheese is gooey and delicious. I usually serve it with black beans & roasted tomatoes and zucchini or with a southwestern salad. It’s a great dish to serve company – there won’t be any leftovers.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 eggs
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
- 1-2 7 oz. cans whole mild green chiles halved
- 1 2.25 oz. can of sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup of cheddar, shredded (I use low fat)
- 1/4 cup of monterey jack or cotjia cheese, shredded
- 1-2 tbsp of mayonnaise (I use low fat)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Mix eggs & spices into a bowl. Trim chicken of any fat & slice each breast into 2 chunks. Dip chicken into egg mixture & add to a hot pan sprayed with cooking spray (or olive oil). Cook 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and place in a baking dish. Cover each chunk of chicken with a green chile half. Mix cheese and mayonnaise in bowl. Sprinkle on top of chicken and green chiles. Top with black olives. Cook for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. My Mother in law also adds baby shrimp on top with the olives (it’s really good – but my husband doesn’t like shrimp so I don’t add it).