Slow-Roasted Beef

There are many wonderful perks to being a food blogger and one of them definitely is being sent kitchen gadgets. I was recently sent a new meat thermometer called Chef Alarm from Thermoworks that came at the perfect time because mine had recently quit working. This new thermometer does everything! It has Splash-proof design for commercial kitchens, uses Pro-Series™ temperature probes, includes Pro-Series High Temp Cooking Probe with cable to 700°F max temp, optional Pro-Series Needle Probe for thin cuts and Sous Vide, adjustable high and low alarms, always-on min & max temperatures, adjustable volume, includes count-down and count-up timer, really big digits and a backlight, and is available in 9 colors. I loved that it comes with a padded zip wallet that neatly holds everything.

I decided to use my new thermometer when making a roast beef for our Sunday dinner. I found a recipe, in my cooking bible, The New Best Recipe ~ Revised Edition, that was calling my name. I lightly seasoned the sirloin roast, seared it on all sides then cooked it in a 250 degree oven for close to an hour then I cranked up the heat to 500 degrees to finish cooking for a few minutes. I let the roast rest for 10 minutes before slicing. It turned out to be perfectly medium rare and we all devoured it! I am so excited to have such an amazing meat thermometer that is so accurate! Thanks Thermoworks! I made the leftover beef into French Dip Sandwiches and they were amazing too. Looking forward to making this recipe again and again.

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.

Place the roast onto a plate then slice a clove of garlic into spears. Using a sharp knife, pierce meat on both sides about 1/2-inch deep and insert slivers of garlic in each hole, pushing all the way in. Sprinkle both sides of the roast evenly with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano, and thyme. I didn’t measure the seasonings, just sprinkled on to taste.

Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Once the Dutch oven is HOT add the roast and sear on all sides.

Place the meat thermometer into the thickest part of the roast. Place the Dutch oven into the preheated oven and cook until the thermometer reads 115 degrees, about 45-60 minutes. Crank the heat up to 500 degrees and continue cooking until the roast reaches 125-130 degrees, for medium rare. Remove from the oven and let the roast rest on a cutting board for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy.

Slow-Roasted Beef

Yield: 8

Prep Time: 5 min.

Cook Time: 60 min. +

Ingredients:

1 3-4 lb boneless top sirloin roast
1-2 cloves of garlic, cut into slivers
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Garlic powder
Onion powder, to taste
Paprika, to taste
Oregano, to taste
Thyme, to taste
1 tbsp olive oil

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.

Place the roast onto a plate then slice a clove of garlic into spears. Using a sharp knife, pierce meat on both sides about 1/2-inch deep and insert slivers of garlic in each hole, pushing all the way in. Sprinkle both sides of the roast evenly with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano, and thyme. I didn't measure the seasonings, just sprinkled on to taste.

25 Responses to “Slow-Roasted Beef”

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl — October 22, 2013 @ 7:56 pm

That thermometer looks amazing and so fancy! What looks delicious is this slow roasted beef, yum!

Angie@Angie's Recipes — October 22, 2013 @ 8:20 pm

wow..the beef is perfectly done, Pam.

Anne ~ Uni Homemaker — October 22, 2013 @ 8:51 pm

Wow, this is cooked to perfection! Gorgeous and delicious!

Kris — October 22, 2013 @ 10:46 pm

That looks sooo good Pam! There is nothing like walking into the house to smelling a roast in the oven!!! What a comforting feeling that is!
    My Mom cooked a roast beef on Sunday often. I am craving a roast been now!!!!
    xo Kris

Jenn — October 23, 2013 @ 5:23 am

Call is the thermometer or skill… that beef looks perfectly done!!!

• Jenn replied: — October 23rd, 2013 @ 5:24 am

Sorry, that was supposed to say call it.. not is :)

Larry — October 23, 2013 @ 6:04 am

The roast looks perfect Pam and I must try one with the slivered garlic. I’ll have to give the pro series probes a try as my regular ones seem to have a short life.

Marjie — October 23, 2013 @ 1:10 pm

That is one beautiful roast beef! That meat thermometer looks so high tech it’s almost scary! I usually stir my roast beef spices into a little vegetable oil, let them sit for a few minutes, and then smear it all over the roast beef. Seems to flavor it well while keeping the moisture in. But I’m going to have to try the garlic spears trick, because that sounds really good.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — October 23, 2013 @ 1:33 pm

Hello, beautiful mouthwatering beef! This looks incredible, Pam. I can only imagine the aroma as it roasts!

Chris — October 23, 2013 @ 2:45 pm

Thermoworks is the ABSOLUTE best. I have a pair of Thermapens and just trying out the Chef Alarm this past week.

Your roast is gorgeous, Pam, expertly done. I can come over for dinner? ;)

Joanne — October 23, 2013 @ 3:30 pm

I’m fairly certain lack of a good meat thermometer is what made all my mom’s cooking so…meh. Your beef looks perfectly cooked!

Cooking Recipes — October 23, 2013 @ 6:06 pm

looks yummy and delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe will be trying it out.

Blond Duck — October 23, 2013 @ 6:39 pm

That would make awesome sandwiches!

Jovina Coughlin — October 23, 2013 @ 7:52 pm

I’ll have to check out that new meat thermometer.

Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness — October 23, 2013 @ 8:32 pm

Your roast looks perfect, just the way I like it.

Sharon — October 27, 2013 @ 1:47 pm

Do you roast with lid on or off the Dutch oven? I can’t wait to try this method. The roast looks PERFECT!

• Pam replied: — October 27th, 2013 @ 7:39 pm

Sharon,

You roast with the lid off.

• Sharon replied: — October 28th, 2013 @ 10:46 am

Thanks, Pam. I thought that was probably the case but wanted to make sure. That’s ‘what’s for dinner’ tonight.

Paul — January 11, 2014 @ 1:49 pm

This looks delicious, I shall try it tomorrow and just got a nice new thermometer myself for Christmas to test out. Also, nice knife Zwilling JA Henckels are amazing, have some of them too.

Nicole — January 31, 2014 @ 12:12 pm

I hope you see this and answer today! Or somebody who knows better than me please! I did not own a meat thermometer so I went out and bought one. All of the ones with long cord so you can see the temperature outside the oven said not to use in oven set to over 395. So that wouldn’t work for this recipe or many others where I wished I owned a meat thermometer. About how long for the last step – after you turn it up to 500? I don’t want to be constantly opening the oven and poking the meat.

• Pam replied: — February 3rd, 2014 @ 9:33 am

Nicole,

I am sorry I didn’t get this until now – I had family in town all weekend. Unfortunately, I don’t remember how long I had it in the oven at 500 degrees because I was testing the thermometer and depended on it to let me know when the meat was cooked. I hope it turned out okay for you.

John — April 14, 2014 @ 1:20 am

Great recipe, thank you!

Yona — September 10, 2014 @ 12:21 am

We just had a make your own panini party last Sunday night with the fmlaiy. Everyone chose their ingredients and we had a lot of fun with it. I will have to blog about it later. I think you can put anything in a panini and it becomes fabulous by the melding of the ingredients and flavors. Blue cheese and beef sounds wonderful.

Melissa — October 4, 2014 @ 4:52 pm

Can you use any type of meat for this roast or does it have to be top sirloin roast? My husband and I LOVE the flavor of this roast however I used English roast and chuck roast and it did not cook tender at all and was so tough…

• Pam replied: — October 5th, 2014 @ 4:47 pm

I’ve only used top sirloin for this recipe and it always seems to turn out flavorful and tender.