Maple-Mustard Glazed Roasted Chicken

I have been fighting a terrible cold for the last several days and I was in the mood for comfort food so I decided to roast a chicken. I found a recipe on Bran Appetit! that looked amazing and simple. I started out roasting the chicken simply seasoned with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and garlic powder. Halfway through roasting I basted the bird with most of the maple-mustard mixture. I roasted it for another 20 minutes then basted it again with the remaining mixture. The chicken turned out beautiful, moist, tender, and so delicious. I paired it with roasted veggies (to post tomorrow) and wilted spinach. It was a healthy and comforting meal that tasted fantastic.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a roasting pan with tin foil then place the roasting rack on top.

Remove the organ bag from the inside of the carcass. Rinse the chicken with cold water then pat dry. Season both sides of the bird with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and garlic powder, to taste. Place pieces of carrot, onion, and garlic inside the cavity, if desired. Side Note: I used the ends from the roasted veggies that I was serving with the chicken.  Place a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh without touching the bonePlace the chicken on the roasting rack and put into the oven to roast for 40 minutes.

In a small bowl mix together the maple syrup, Dijon mustard, and grain mustard. Brush half of the mixture over the chicken. Put the coated chicken back into the oven for 15-20 minutes; remove and baste with the remaining mixture. Place back into the oven and continue roasting until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clean and there is an internal temperature of 175 degrees, about 20 minutes. Side Note: It is said that it’s safe to cook the bird to 165 degrees but with my kids eating the chicken, I play it safe. Remove the chicken from the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before carving and serving. Enjoy.

Maple-Mustard Glazed Roasted Chicken

Prep Time: 10 min.

Cook Time: 80 min.

Total Time: 90 min.

Ingredients:

1 whole chicken, 5-6 pounds
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Garlic powder, to taste
Onion pieces, carrot pieces, and garlic cloves for cavity, if desired
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp whole grain mustard

Directions:

Remove the organ bag from the inside of the carcass. Rinse the chicken with cold water then pat dry. Season both sides of the bird with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and garlic powder, to taste. Place pieces of carrot, onion, and garlic inside the cavity, if desired. Side Note: I used the ends from the roasted veggies that I was serving with the chicken. Place a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh without touching the bone. Place the chicken on the roasting rack and put into the oven to roast for 40 minutes.

In a small bowl mix together the maple syrup, Dijon mustard, and grain mustard. Brush half of the mixture over the chicken. Put the coated chicken back into the oven for 15-20 minutes; remove and baste with the remaining mixture. Place back into the oven and continue roasting until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clean and there is an internal temperature of 175 degrees, about 20 minutes. Side Note: It is said that it's safe to cook the bird to 165 degrees but with my kids eating the chicken, I play it safe. Remove the chicken from the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before carving and serving. Enjoy.

Adapted recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking
Original recipe by Bran Appetit!

26 Responses to “Maple-Mustard Glazed Roasted Chicken”

Emily — February 25, 2013 @ 7:48 pm

Would you be willing to post about how you meal plan / grocery shop? A lot of your posts make it sound like the recipes you choose to make are very spur of the moment, but that would require a ton of trips to the grocery store! Or do you plan ahead more than it sounds?

• Pam replied: — February 26th, 2013 @ 7:59 am

Emily,

I am not a planner (when it comes to grocery shopping or meal planning). I do go to the grocery store a few times a week, but luckily it’s very close to my home. I usually cook my meals by what I am craving at the time.

Kris — February 25, 2013 @ 8:21 pm

Oh no Pam. Feel better!!!
    xo Kris

Maple-Mustard Glazed Roasted Chicken | My Best Cookbook — February 25, 2013 @ 10:22 pm

[...] Print Save [...]

Anne ~ Uni Homemaker — February 25, 2013 @ 10:29 pm

Wow, that chicken looks amazing! I love the idea of maple in this recipe. I hope you feel better Pam.

Carmen Rosa — February 26, 2013 @ 1:52 am

I love roasting a whole chicken. This one looks and sounds delicious. I hope you feel better!!!!

Jenn — February 26, 2013 @ 4:39 am

That chicken is a thing of beauty, Pam! Hope you kick that cold soon!

larry — February 26, 2013 @ 6:10 am

The glaze sounds really good and your shot makes me want chicken. I admire your doing it while ailing. When I get a bad cold I barely function and can’t imagine cooking more than soup from the freezer or a can. Of course I’ve known for a long time that women are tougher than men :-)

Martha — February 26, 2013 @ 6:14 am

now THAT sounds delicious! Wow! love the flavor combo!. Hopefully it will help chase your cold away!

bellini — February 26, 2013 @ 9:27 am

I think a glazed roasted chicken would be just want we needed for comfort and curative measures.

PolaM — February 26, 2013 @ 10:47 am

Love the idea of mustard and maple syrup for glazing! Am saving it for next chicken roasting!

Marjie — February 26, 2013 @ 12:42 pm

I’ve made honey-mustard glaze and maple-mustard glaze for ham, but never thought to try them for chicken. This looks delicious!

Chris — February 26, 2013 @ 1:47 pm

Are you giving us “the bird” lady?!? Ha ha

Hate to hear that you are sick, especially after your back issues. Boooooo. But this chicken looks amazingly good and I bet the leftovers would rock in enchiladas.

Kristin @ Dizzy Busy and Hungry! — February 26, 2013 @ 3:22 pm

Mmmmmm, this looks good. I am sharing on my FB page as well. Thanks to you and BranAppetit! Hope you feel better soon!

Chris@ The Cafe Sucre Farine — February 26, 2013 @ 3:29 pm

I think that a dinner like this would be able to cure just about anything that ails you! It looks wonderful, all golden and crispy.

Susan — February 26, 2013 @ 4:04 pm

Yum! This is so good! I just made a maple roasted chicken too! my recipe came from Diana Henry’s cookbook, roast figs, sugar snow … the glaze is perfect isn’t it?
    Yum! You always make the best stuff!

teresa — February 26, 2013 @ 5:12 pm

i LOVE roasted chicken, these flavors look wonderful!

Joanne — February 26, 2013 @ 5:21 pm

Maple and mustard combined sound like the perfect glaze!

Words Of Deliciousness — February 26, 2013 @ 7:19 pm

I love the flavors that you used on this roasted chicken. I love roasting a whole chicken, they always turn out so delicious.

Blond Duck — February 26, 2013 @ 7:32 pm

I may try this when the in-laws come in– I was thinking of grilling salmon but I can’t decide. What do you think?

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — February 26, 2013 @ 11:41 pm

Hope you’re feeling better! And yes, this chicken definitely screams comfort!

Angie@Angie's Recipes — February 27, 2013 @ 6:17 am

This looks lipsmacking and comforting!

grace — February 27, 2013 @ 11:39 am

you’re three for three on enticing glazes, pam! gorgeous bird. :)

Julia — February 27, 2013 @ 5:02 pm

Hope you are feeling better! I like to roast a whole chicken on Sundays before the week for meals. It makes life so much easier. This looks delicious–I will have to try this recipe out soon.

vanillasugarblog — February 27, 2013 @ 5:16 pm

sorry you’re sick
    and guess who has a back problem now?
    yep me.
    a pinched nerve.
    BUT the good news is doc wrote me a script for massage.
    oh yeah…

Plitvice — March 10, 2013 @ 1:59 pm

Thanks for that reciepe. Chicken tasted great today :)