Grilled Vegetable Panzanella

I found a recipe on Simply Scratch that looked beautiful and delicious. I had some extra vinaigrette leftover so I decided to use that and skip the recipe’s vinaigrette. I grilled the veggies in my grill pan and it was quick and easy. I cooked some of the veggies separately so they would get really nice grill marks.  I loved the flavor of the grilled veggies with the crisp bread tossed in the vinaigrette.  It was hearty, healthy, and a nice change from the salads and side dishes I usually serve.

Make Fran’s Vinaigretterecipe found here. Set aside to let the flavors mingle.

Heat a grill pan coated with cooking spray over medium high heat. Coat the sliced rustic bread with olive oil cooking spray then place into the grill pan and cook until toasted on both sides for 5 minutes. Remove and cube into bite sized pieces.

Add the olive oil to the grill pan then place the mushrooms into the pan. Let them sit, leaving them alone, for 3-4 minutes then flip them over for another 2 minutes, or until golden. Pour into a large bowl. Add the asparagus and onion to the grill pan, adding cooking spray if needed.  Cook, stirring often for 3-4 minutes, or until fork tender; pour into the bowl with the mushrooms.  Add the zucchini chunks and tomato quarters to the grill pan.  Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until tender. Gently place them into the bowl. Add the cubed bread pieces to the bowl.

Season the veggies and bread with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste then toss to coat.  Drizzle some of the vinaigrette  on top then toss to coat evenly.  Taste & re-season or add more vinaigrette if needed.  Serve immediately.  Enjoy.

Grilled Vegetable Panzanella

Yield: 6

Prep Time: 10 min.

Cook Time: 15 min.

Total Time: 25 min.

Ingredients:

4 thick slices of leftover rustic French bread, grilled then cubed into bite sized pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
8 Crimini Mushrooms, quartered
1/4 sweet yellow onion, cut into chunks
6 stalks of asparagus, wooden ends removed & cut into thrids
1 medium Zucchini, cut into chunks
3 small firm tomatoes, quartered
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste

Directions:

Make Fran's Vinaigrette - click the link up above for the recipe. Set aside to allow the flavors to mingle.

Heat a grill pan coated with cooking spray over medium high heat. Coat the sliced rustic bread with olive oil cooking spray then place into the grill pan and cook until toasted on both sides for 5 minutes. Remove and cube into bite sized pieces.

Add the olive oil to the grill pan then place the mushrooms into the pan. Let them sit, leaving them alone, for 3-4 minutes then flip them over for another 2 minutes, or until golden. Pour into a large bowl. Add the asparagus and onion to the grill pan, adding cooking spray if needed. Cook, stirring often for 3-4 minutes, or until fork tender; pour into the bowl with the mushrooms. Add the zucchini chunks and tomato quarters to the grill pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until tender. Gently place them into the bowl. Add the cubed bread pieces to the bowl.

Season the veggies and bread with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste then toss to coat. Drizzle some of the vinaigrette on top then toss to coat evenly. Taste & re-season or add more vinaigrette if needed. Serve immediately. Enjoy.

Adapted recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe by Simply Scratch

14 Responses to “Grilled Vegetable Panzanella”

Katarina — December 5, 2012 @ 11:01 pm

This is a lovely a tasty dish!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — December 6, 2012 @ 3:20 am

Love all the veggies in this! And those grill marks are just gorgeous!

Kim in MD — December 6, 2012 @ 4:30 am

I love panzanella! There is something about the toasted bread soaking up the vinaigrette tossed with the veggies…yum! I love that you grilled the vegetables in this dish, Pam. I am excited to see what you paired with this delicious salad! :-)

Rhonda (@diningalone) — December 6, 2012 @ 8:24 am

I would be happy with just the grilled onion and bread but all of that together looks delicious.

Diane — December 6, 2012 @ 8:42 am

Mmmm but that looks good. Keep well Diane

Chris — December 6, 2012 @ 11:08 am

I made a grilled steak panzanella once and my parents loved it. Such a fun way to eat a salad, isn’t it?

Jersey Girl Cooks — December 6, 2012 @ 12:58 pm

I like this so much better than a regular panzanella salad. Looks delcious!

Marjie — December 6, 2012 @ 1:53 pm

My guys would think this was a great side dish!

vanillasugarblog — December 6, 2012 @ 4:45 pm

how many summers go by and I never ever thought to do this grilled.
    what a great idea!!!

Blond Duck — December 6, 2012 @ 6:11 pm

This sounds so good!

Joanne — December 6, 2012 @ 6:45 pm

I miss that smoky flavor of grilled veggies now that fall/winter is here! Love the idea of those babies in panzanella – my favorite kind of salad!

New Website Feature, Roast Chicken with Balsamic Peppers, AND A GIVEAWAY! | My Best Cookbook — December 6, 2012 @ 9:36 pm

[...] sauce was really delicious served on top of the tender chicken.  I served this dish with the Grilled Vegetable Panzanella for a hearty, healthy, and seriously tasty [...]

Angie@Angie's Recipes — December 7, 2012 @ 12:34 am

A lovely salad. Grilled vegetables taste so much better!

Chefgonin — December 7, 2012 @ 4:32 pm

Hello your items I find interesting, I visited your website and I noted some recipes. From Spain I invite you to visit my blog Valencia kitchen every week I updated, is very positive about other food cultures.

Valenciagastronomic.blogspot.com.es