Toast with Sautéed Tomatoes, Spinach, and Poached Egg

I spent Saturday with two of my best friends in Carlton, Oregon for our third annual visit to Carlton Walk in the Park. We stopped by the Noble Pig tasting room after lunch to meet one of my favorite food blogger’s Cathy.  We had a wonderful time trying her amazing wines and pairing them with delicious oils, cheeses, and jam. What a treat to meet such a great lady! We spent the rest of the day walking around the park enjoying wine, listening to fantastic music, and eating wonderful food.

Meeting Cathy from Noble Pig

When I got home on Sunday morning I decided to treat my husband to a special lunch of poached eggs with sautéed tomatoes and spinach on top of some French bread. He gobbled up every last bite and said it was delicious… I may have to make myself this meal for breakfast tomorrow.

Preheat the oven to broil.  Place the slices of French bread, sprayed with olive oil cooking spray on both sides, on top of the rack.  Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown and crisp.

Heat a skillet over medium heat and drizzle with olive oil.  Add the tomatoes and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste.  Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until the tomatoes are softened and starting to burst; add the spinach and cook for 1 minute or until wilted.  Remove from heat.

While the tomatoes are cooking prepare the poached eggs.  Add water to a pan, filling it two thirds full; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Coat a poaching cup (or custard cup) with cooking spray then place in the water. Break the egg into the cup then cover the pan with a lid and cook for 4-6 minutes or until the whites are firm but the yolk is soft.

Layer the slices of toasted French bread with the tomato/spinach mixture and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese then top with a poached egg.  Sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste.  Serve immediately.  Enjoy.

Toast with Sautéed Tomatoes, Spinach, and Poached Egg

Yield: 1-2

Prep Time: 5 min.

Cook Time: 10 min.

Total Time: 15 min.

Ingredients:

Cooking spray
2 slices of French bread
1 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups of grape tomatoes
Handful of baby spinach
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
2 eggs
Parmesan cheese, shredded

Directions:

Preheat the oven to broil. Place the slices of French bread, sprayed with olive oil cooking spray on both sides, on top of the rack. Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown and crisp.

Heat a skillet over medium heat and drizzle with olive oil. Add the tomatoes and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until the tomatoes are softened and starting to burst; add the spinach and cook for 1 minute or until wilted. Remove from heat.

While the tomatoes are cooking prepare the poached eggs. Add water to a pan, filling it two thirds full; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Coat a poaching cup (or custard cup) with cooking spray then place in the water. Break the egg into the cup then cover the pan with a lid and cook for 4-6 minutes or until the whites are firm but the yolk is soft.

Layer the slices of toasted French bread with the tomato/spinach mixture and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese then top with a poached egg. Sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Serve immediately. Enjoy.

23 Responses to “Toast with Sautéed Tomatoes, Spinach, and Poached Egg”

Andrea@WellnessNotes — August 19, 2012 @ 8:37 pm

Great meet-up!
    And the toast with the poached eggs looks & sounds fabulous! Poached eggs make a meal special!

Muna Kenny — August 19, 2012 @ 9:05 pm

My family enjoys the dishes I make from your blog, as simple they might look the flavor is absolutely amazing. A very delicious looking brunch :)

Loly — August 19, 2012 @ 10:04 pm

LOVELY, Big Time Yummy :D

XoXo

wine bar alhambra — August 20, 2012 @ 2:57 am

Thats a very nice recipe you have posted. My only change would be putting onions instead of the tomatoes as I hate tomatoes. But having this along with a glass of wine will make it even better and an awesome meal.

Katarina — August 20, 2012 @ 3:56 am

This looks delicious and fresh!

Ridwan — August 20, 2012 @ 4:22 am

simple,heatly and beautiful dish :)

Kim in MD — August 20, 2012 @ 4:49 am

Yum! I love Cathy’s blog, and it sounds like you had a great time at her vineyard!

Mary — August 20, 2012 @ 6:50 am

This sounds PERFECT for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I have never thought of poaching an egg using a custard cup! That is brilliant. Are you using something similar to your prep bowls? Just greasing it and floating it in the water? I can hardly wait to try this!

Merrill Ann Gonzales — August 20, 2012 @ 7:32 am

Here’s another one of your great recipes… I think when I make it though I’m going to make garlic bread for the base! I use a poacher for egg whites since I can’t eat the whole egg. That comes in handy for all kinds of things for people who have to use egg whites instead of whole eggs.

Rhonda (@diningalone) — August 20, 2012 @ 9:34 am

Look at those perfect eggs! This looks so fabulous, I wish I had some right now. Have a great week!

Larry — August 20, 2012 @ 10:07 am

Looks totally delicious Pam and Bev has some spinach she wants to use up. Tomorrows breakfast perhaps.

Pooja Arora — August 20, 2012 @ 10:31 am

Thanks for sharing such a nice recipes, looking really fabulous, look like perfect & complete breakfast, it’s difficult to eat complete egg, why not we can add sliced boiled eggs instead of complete egg on top?

Joanne — August 20, 2012 @ 12:22 pm

Aww sounds like a fun weekend!! And a delicious breakfast. That is one lucky husband you have!

gloria — August 20, 2012 @ 1:43 pm

Pam love poaches eggs and these look stunning!

Marjie — August 20, 2012 @ 2:04 pm

I’ll bet your husband and kids will be encouraging you to take more trips with girlfriends to get great breakfasts like this one! (Only kidding; they’d miss you). And lucky you, meeting Cathy!

teresa — August 20, 2012 @ 3:34 pm

so simple yet SOOO delicious! and how fun to meet a fellow blogger!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — August 20, 2012 @ 5:49 pm

How fun to meet Cathy! I love Noble Pig, too. And this recipe…it’s on my list for next weekend.

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — August 20, 2012 @ 7:30 pm

what a delightful recipe! sometimes i throw grape tomatoes and basil in my scrambles – so tasty!!

Words Of Deliciousness — August 20, 2012 @ 7:37 pm

Sounds like a wonderful breakfast.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — August 20, 2012 @ 10:14 pm

So jealous you got to meet Cathy! And this toast looks amazing. I seriously love everything about it! I’ll have to make it for Jason soon!

Darrel — August 20, 2012 @ 11:05 pm

Delicious, I just added a splash of Balsamic vinegar to the tomatoes whilst in the pan!

Angie@Angie's Recipes — August 21, 2012 @ 6:05 am

A great meetup!
    I would love this for the breakfast!

Chris — August 22, 2012 @ 4:57 pm

That looks like two eyes. You should serve it with a slice of melon for a smiley face.