Smashed Red Potatoes

It’s been a long night and I am tired. I just got home from spending three hours in the ER with my son. He was running around the house this evening and fell into the corner of our very hard and heavy footstool face first. He had a small but deep gash and a very sore forehead that ended up getting three stitches. He was so brave while getting the stitches – he made my husband and I very proud.

My daughter still has a very tender mouth due to her new braces so I made a big batch of one of her favorites – smashed potatoes. This recipe really couldn’t be any easier to make and they tasted wonderful. Even my husband, who doesn’t love potatoes (which is quite weird since we both were raised in Idaho), couldn’t get enough of these smashed red potatoes. They were creamy, buttery and absolutely delicious. These potatoes made my daughter a very happy girl.

Smashed Red Potatoes:
Adapted recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe from Cuisine at Home ~ October 2011

• 3/4 lb red potatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks
  • 1/3 cup of milk
  • 2-3 tbsp butter, softened
  • Dash of garlic powder
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste

Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 15 minutes.

Drain the potatoes; return to the pot, stirring, over low heat for one minute. This dries the excess moisture from the potatoes so they can absorb the milk and butter.

Smash the potatoes with a hand masher until you reach your desired consistency. Stir in the milk, butter, garlic powder, sea salt, and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Serve immediately. Enjoy.

31 Responses to “Smashed Red Potatoes”

Lorena — September 22, 2011 @ 7:43 am

Hi Pam! I hope everything gets better in your home!
    The potatoes looks tasty
    A huge hug for you from Madrid

Debbie — September 22, 2011 @ 10:32 am

Hope your little guy is feeling better soon! I made these potatoes the other day and they are soooo good. Always a comfort!

Sandi — September 22, 2011 @ 10:38 am

hope your son feels better soon and your daughter too. I had braces when I was a kid and I know they can hurt the first couple weeks but she will get used to them and eventually she won't even feel them in her mouth.

Those potatoes look great!!!

StephenC — September 22, 2011 @ 11:38 am

Potatoes are a gift to mankind. These look wonderful. Makes we want to go right to the supermarket.

bellini — September 22, 2011 @ 11:47 am

Wow what a day it has been!!! In my books nothing is more comforting to those with or without stitches and braces than smashed potatoes.

Anonymous — September 22, 2011 @ 11:56 am

Oh my gosh…I am so sorry to hear about your son! That must have been very scary for all of you! I hope your son and daughter are feeling better soon, Pam!

The potatoes look delicious and I hope your daughter was able to eat them!

Kim in MD

Three Sisters — September 22, 2011 @ 12:16 pm

Thank you for this recipe! Looks like a simple way to start cooking potatoes. Why am I so intimidated by them?? Will try this soon! Ana

Jenn — September 22, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

Hope your son is ok!! Goodness, sounds like something I would have done when I was a kid… wait, sounds like something that would happen to me now even! lol
    The potatoes looks wonderful… but I'm a sucker for potatoes!!

Mary — September 22, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

I love smashed red potatoes. Red ones always taste better this way. Glad your son is ok! It's been a rough week for your kiddos. Hope that you can avoid any more doctors or ouchies for a while now!

Kate — September 22, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

Mmmm…smashed red potatoes are so delicious!

The Walmart Ninja — September 22, 2011 @ 2:07 pm

That is pretty easy. I love red potatoes, especially with boiled crawfish. I'll definitely have to try this out.

Hari Chandana — September 22, 2011 @ 2:59 pm

Truly delicious !!
    Indian Cuisine

Dr Shivani Sud Thakur — September 22, 2011 @ 3:06 pm

hope your son iis fine now!…u take care

What's Cookin' with Mary? — September 22, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

You two Idahoans don't like potatoes ?! Blasphemy! ;)

Glad to hear your son is ok!! Scary :l

Susan Lindquist — September 22, 2011 @ 3:48 pm

Oh my goodness … a mother's nightmare … what is it with little kids and ramming and tearing? Ha! Doing what comes naturally … unfortunately, the furniture does get in the way sometimes! Hope he's doing fine and not head-achey from the collision! Poor you, though! So stressful! I'm betting the comfort food was as good for you as it was for the kids! Here's hoping you have a

Jessie Ann — September 22, 2011 @ 3:59 pm

I can relate. My son who was about 1 1/2 had hit his forehead on the coffee table. I couldn't handle it <<< first time momma here, thank goodness the hubby was here. I was one nervous wreck! Boys will be boys.

Potatoes sound yummy! I'll have to try em'!

Chelsea — September 22, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

Wow, sounds like an eventful night! I'm sorry! I hope everyone is feeling better. I love smashed potatoes! These sound very yummy.

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking — September 22, 2011 @ 5:21 pm

Aww, sounds like your little ones are going through trying times… I'll be thinking of your son and daughter and hoping everything starts looking sunny for you all soon. In the meantime, keep making beautiful and delicious dishes like these potatoes! They look like the perfect comfort food for kids and adults alike.

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook — September 22, 2011 @ 7:22 pm

Hope your kids are feeling better, you had some night! Potatoes are a great comfort food, they look so good.

Angela — September 22, 2011 @ 7:26 pm

Yum! I just got some red tots so I'll have to try this! =)

StephenC — September 22, 2011 @ 8:44 pm

I had to come back and have a second look. I will be shopping in the next day or two and I want these potatoes!

Tracy Lawson — September 22, 2011 @ 9:28 pm

I am a personal complete fan of red potatoes, they just can't be beat!

Michelle — September 22, 2011 @ 9:45 pm

So sorry to hear about your son. Hope him and your daughter are feeling better soon.
    I love mashed potatoes but have never had them like this. I can't wait to try this recipe :-)

kathyzour — September 23, 2011 @ 12:58 am

DELICIOUS!! I made them tonight, added garlic pepper and they were yum! Thanks for the inspiration

Joanne — September 23, 2011 @ 1:18 am

Oh no! I'm so glad your son is okay but that sounds super stressful! You definitely needed comfort food like this.

The Blonde Duck — September 23, 2011 @ 2:15 am

I want to make you a pie! You're starting to live at the doctor, poor thing!

Mandy — September 23, 2011 @ 3:05 am

Hope your son is feeling better today. Sending healing thoughts his way.

Smashed potatoes are among my favorite food too. So yummy.

Words Of Deliciousness — September 23, 2011 @ 3:35 am

I hope your son is doing ok.
    I love potatoes and this recipe sounds delicious.

Silver — September 24, 2011 @ 5:26 pm

Hello! I really would love to try your Smashed red potatoes recipe, it looks AMAZING. I have a healthy eating blog for college students http://declarationofacollegewoman.blogspot.com/
    And will definitely let you know how everyone loves it (Though I suspect there will be no leftovers from my friends) :D

Keely — August 25, 2012 @ 9:30 pm

A huge thank you for the wonderful blog! I am out on my own for the first time and I never know what to cook! Thank you for the abundance of yummy recipes to try! I am going to make these with some ranch crusted chicken breasts. I’m sure they will be a hit!

Tangy Sautéed Cabbage and Onions with Bacon | My Best Cookbook — March 12, 2013 @ 10:33 pm

[...] and the rest of us really liked it too. I paired this cabbage dish and the corned beef  with smashed red potatoes, for a delicious and hearty meal. Thanks for the great recipe [...]